Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Your Weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Weight?

Yarn weight that is!

What is your favorite yarn weight? Do you find yourself picking projects because of the yarn weight the design recommends? Do you avoid fingering/sock weight for sweaters and large shawls because it takes f o r e v e r to finish the project? Do you avoid super bulky for sweaters because you prefer not to look like the
    Stay Puft Marshmallow Man?

C'mon! Tell us your weight

Weight classes taken from the Craft Yarn Council website https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system
    0 (Lace/Fingering)
    10.42%
    1 (Fingering/Sock)
    54.17%
    2 (Sport/Baby)
    16.67%
    3 (DK/Light Worsted)
    39.58%
    4 (Worsted/Aran)
    14.58%
    5 (Bulky/Chunky)
    4.17%
    6 (Super Bulky/Roving)
    2.08%
    7 (Jumbo/Roving)
    2.08%

I like all of them and there is no button for that! They all have different uses, and make beautiful things. I will narrow my answer down to say that the size 6 and 7 rovings are better used either for spinning into yarn that won’t fall apart or splitting apart and using with needles or hooks that are much smaller than the arm knitting or super-jumbo needles and hooks. The super-jumbo knitted or crocheted items just do not wear well and are a pain to care for.

ETA. I just finished a sweater made from handspun worsted-weight yarn, and last month, I finished my 4th large shawl with lace-weight yarn within a year.
    Last edited by SpinsterJulieB; 07-21-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• BonBon
      BonBon commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!! I like more than one as well, so I set up the poll to allow you to select multiple answers. I know it won't be as accurate, but I just couldn't decide between sport and dk
      I chose not to advertise that, but yep, you can select more than one.

• wheat
      wheat commented
      Editing a comment
      exactly = to every yarn there is a purpose

I use them all except for the super bulky and jumbo weights. (I might use those really rarely.) The really heavy weights and large needles make my hands hurt. I mainly use fingering and dk weights, but that might be because those are the two easiest weights to find in indie dyed yarns and that's what I mostly buy.

Comment

• BonBon
      BonBon commented
      Editing a comment
      That is so true. Indie dyers do seem to produce mostly dk and fingering. I'm sure they're responding to the marketplace.

I voted for DK, but it really depends what I am making. DK for sweaters, hats and scarves, but 4-ply/fingering for socks and gloves, and Aran for “the depths of winter” sweaters. I am in the west of Scotland, where we don’t really get extremes of weather, but it rains (and gets humid, and rains some more, and gets humid some more) all year round, so my winter wardrobe is pretty much the same as my summer one, plus a few layers.

I very rarely buy the yarn recommended in the pattern, I just regard it as a suggestion and a starting point. I like thick bulky/chunky yarns for some blankets, but I don’t like the really thick yarns and needles that feel like I am knitting with ropes and broom handles - too much like hard work for me!

Comment

• BonBon
      BonBon commented
      Editing a comment
      I too rarely, if ever, use the recommended yarn. Especially when knitting a pattern by one of the " famous designers". Their yarn recommendations are crazy expensive! I mean, who wants to spend $140 to knit a cowl?!

I have arthritis in my hands, so I generally switch around between yarn weights and needles for relief. My absolute favorite is fine gauge knitting. I love how it looks. For decades all of my projects were worsted weight. Seriously, I enjoy them all.

Comment

BonBon - my first reaction to your topic title was - none of your business - until I realized you were talking about yarn weights, and not MY weight.
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

• BonBon
        BonBon commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! Got your attention though, right?

WeeBizzom I also rarely used the yarn called for in a pattern. My stash is pretty large, so if I find a pattern I want to knit I'll usually match it up with something in my stash. If nothing suits, I'll then buy yarn for the pattern, but still usually not the suggested yarn. My problem is that I buy yarn a lot faster than I knit it.

Comment

My favorites are DK, sport and fingering. Mostly I use DK and sport for sweaters and fingering for socks.

Comment

I started with worsted, but my daughters clamored for lighter weight sweaters.

Comment

This poll is actually surprising me. I thought dk would be the leader. I definitely prefer the fabric I get from a finer weight yarn, but I'm also SUPER impatient!

Comment

It isn't always easy to find a variety of dk yarns.

Comment

Working...
              X