728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Looking for Game Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Game Suggestions

I know people here have an amazing range of hobbies, so I'm hoping I can find someone who can help me out. I do a bit of pc gaming but I'm having trouble finding new games that I enjoy playing. My pc is old and low spec, to start with, but also I don't much go for shooter games, and dash games where you wind up with aching fingers from having to click so fast. My favourite games (apart from old point and click horror adventures with no shooting) are gently paced building games like the Chocolatier series, where there are some vague rivals but no aggression and no real need for speed. Does anyone know of any low spec games which involve building towns, or businesses, or zoos or whatever, without throwing fights at you all the time, and which are not speed trials?

Lemming13 - I do not have game suggestions for you, as most of my time is spent offline, in real life activities. So I am posting here just to say "Hello" and let you know that people are reading your post. I hope others know of the kinds of games you enjoy!

Comment

Oldies but goodies, the Myst series, Betrayal at Krondor, Rogue, Sim_ (park, ant, city), Lemmings, Worms, and all of the Angry Birds games. Check out GOG.com, STEAM, MY ABANDONWARE.com, or OLD PC GAMING.net

Went back and re-read your post. Best builder games I've found are on Zynga, or G5. Not sure about resolution requirements, but may be worth a look.

Comment

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I will have a look on Zynga and G5.

I used to play a lot of games exactly as you describe. I also played the time management ones but they can get really frustrating. If I spend time playing a game, I want it to be relaxing, not frustrating! The only game I really take time for these days is a game called Star Stable Online where you build up a stable of horses and do quests. It is quite realistic and there is beautiful scenery to ride around in with nature sounds and such. I find it really relaxing. It takes quite a bit of memory on your computer though. I second the recommendation to check out Zynga games. I know a lot of them I used to play were Zynga.
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
      ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -44 WTD
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
      National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly it, I just want to have some gentle fun when I don't feel like crafting, or reading, or anything challenging. I'll look out for the Star Stable game, it sounds like just the thing. Thanks!

Have you checked out Big Fish Games? They have a large library of casual games which can be played on different platforms. I don't know about building or resource management-type games, but that is where I'd go to find more low-key games.
      "Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself.” --St. Francis de Sales

🧢 2021 Starting Stash:~62,185 yards; Current:~60,119 yards

Comment

• MBearMakes
        MBearMakes commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I agree. I only like time management games if they are *easy*!!!

• MBearMakes
        MBearMakes commented
        Editing a comment
        I presume you have tried the hidden object adventures? Not a lot of great quality, but definitely not stressful.

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I do a lot of HO games (at Christmas I ran through a whole series of Christmas Wonderland ones - I know they are aimed at families with kids but I really enjoy the gentle music and cute festive scenes). But sometimes my eyes are too tired for that.

Lemming13

​​​​​​​one genre I like is word games, like
      https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/1...ds-rebirth/?pc (like a hang-man type of game - there's also an older version without the word "rebirth", but I don't remember what that's like)
      https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/6...crosswords/?pc (where the items are not small and you have fun figuring out what you need to look for)
      https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/8...ms-journey/?pc (where you try to form long words out of given letters)
      and
      https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/7090/word-u/?pc

you may also like match3 games where in between the match3 levels you get to create gardens, like the queen's garden series in Big Fish Games - where you also have themes like
      https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/1...-halloween/?pc
      https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/1...-christmas/?pc

these are some of my favorites, but I recommend Big Fish Games as a rule, because there you can find games by genre and you can try the game for an hour before deciding if you want to buy it

Comment

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, I will take a look at those.

I like a type of simulation game that is *not* The Sims. It's building type of games. But then I found a couple of subcategory games that are really fun. One is House Flipper and the other, by the same company, is The Tenants.

The first is well described by the title: You buy houses, renovate them, and sell them. But you have a limited number of potential customers and each of them has their own likes and dislikes. You can do odd jobs for people to raise money.

The Tenants is more renovation but it's from a landlord perspective. You still do odd jobs. And you still buy houses and renovate them. But this time you rent them out and then you have to keep your tenants happy or find new ones.

I don't know what the system requirements are, though.

There are some older simulation type games where you start villages and build houses and provide services. Because they're older, they can have less grueling requirements. It seems like every village building game is modeled after one called Foundation, though.

Steam is a great resource but if you have an older PC, it can also really bog your system down sometimes.

Comment

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, those sound interesting - I'll check them out.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X