LoveCrafts 728 X 90
YOUR AD COULD BE HERE!

Click here for details.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2020 50 Book Challenge πŸ“š

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 - Blackout by Candace Owens

I’d seen Candace Owens on TV a number of times, and she struck me as smart, honest, and tough. This book proves she’s all of that and more. What hit me as I read through the book is that she can say what many of us know – and can’t say because we’re white. She spreads out the facts and figures, such as blacks make up 13% of the population yet commit 40% of violent crimes, and challenges the politically correct narrative that paints blacks as perpetual victims. Candace challenges blacks – and whites – to look at black America in a different way. She challenges them to turn away from victimhood and toward β€œvictorhood.” The book doesn’t bash or chastise black America, it encourages and challenges it to think about how they move forward in a positive manner. Does it bash the Democrats? Oh, yeah. But she does so with well laid out facts and figures and historical data that, frankly, makes perfect sense. Well worth reading no matter what your background or political leanings.
    Spinner of Yarns
    Author and Fiber Artist
    Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

• qfknit
      qfknit commented
      Editing a comment
      I had this book on pre-order for over a year, and was delighted when all edits were complete and it finally arrived. Definitely worth waiting for.

sorry, long post...
      Candace Owens is one of several notable Black and African American contemporaries who do not endorse or accept Critical Race Theory (CRT) and they note that many white people are becoming wealthy through teaching CRT. Larry Elders' "Uncle Tom" documentary video introduces us to more Black and African American individuals who do not endorse CRT with its concepts of white privilege and systemic racism. The landing page for the "Uncle Tom" video mentions reading the platforms of the Democrat and Republican parties. These may be found on the national websites of each party, and they have also been compiled over the years, by the Presidency Project at the University of California, Santa Barbara:
      1) Democratic Platforms through the years, including 2020 - https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/peop...arty-platforms
      2) Republican Platforms through the years, including 2020 - https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/peop...arty-platforms

Another example is a primary source and historical artifact from over 60 years ago. Manning Johnson was a Black and African American member of the Communist party. In his whistleblower book "Color, Communism, and Common Sense" (1958) Manning Johnson describes the strategies of the Communist Party to agitate tensions between groups, particularly between the races in the USA. He was strongly opposed to these tactics, left the Communist party, and sounded the alarm, in hopes that America would not be weakened and deceived into following the path to Communism. His works describe the beginnings of Critical Race Theory (CRT) that we see today.

1) Read his book online, FREE:
      http://www.manningjohnson.org/book/CCCS_Contents.html
      Reprints of his book are also widely available.

2) Listen to his farewell address posted online:
      http://manningjohnson.org/speech/Man...ddress-32k.mp3 (36:18)

3) Follow along with transcript of Manning Johnson's "Farewell Address"
      http://www.manningjohnson.org/speech/transcript.html

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      I spent nearly half of my college career at a primarily black university. My mom graduated there in her 40s and a couple years later I started there before transferring to OSU for my upper classman studies. This was in the 80s and even then there were a LOT of silent conservatives in the black community. I LOVE CO and have so much respect for her courage. What hapoens to the black people in this country matters to me and it is a VERY complex question and she gets it. I am always afraid it will sound odd if I admit that I am a huge fan of the brave, black conservatives who speak up. And their numbers are growing. I'll stop there as I don't want to get overly political.
      I can't purchase books right now so I'm on the library waiting list for a copy of this book. Can't wait to dive into it. Thanks Pegg.

• Pegg Thomas
      Pegg Thomas commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you, KnitsWithHorses. One of my best friends is a black conservative. Her stories about what she's gone through - especially from her own family! - are very sad. Everyone should have the freedom to make their own choices, and not feel pigeonholed because of the color of their skin. Period.

49. Quantum: A Thriller (Captain Chase Book 1)...by Patricia Cornwell (Audio) Military Thriller 3.5/5
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +8/YTD -628 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 50/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.

Comment

• mktspahl
      mktspahl commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a good one!

I hope it's okay to put this here, if not, please delete. I'm an author of historical romance as well as a fiber artist, and I put out a monthly newsletter that includes updates on both as well as a guest author spotlight. It goes out on the 1st Tuesday of the month - which is tomorrow. If you'd like to subscribe: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas I don't sell your email addresses to anyone! And you can unsubscribe anytime.
    Spinner of Yarns
    Author and Fiber Artist

Comment

October 2020
      43. It's Not Supposed to be this Way by L Terkeurst 4/5 Christian Author/ Bible Study/Encouragement

44. Trace Elements D.Leon 4/5 Italian Mystery Set in Italy, Italian characters.

46. Collateral Damage L. Eason 4/5 Christian Author Military and Civilian action/adventure.
      Book Challenge 38/50
      2020 stash busting WTD. -8 YTD. +31

Comment

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        I read #43 and wondering what prevented you giving a 5/5 - I agree with your assessment, but would be interested in hearing your take on this book. We had bought this book as a "sisters trip" study, but our trip was, naturally, cancelled.

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        annekepoot I am so sorry your "sisters trip" was canceled. I hope you are able to go one one next year.

I found nothing wrong with this book. The author is very honest and brave for writing all that went on in her life during this time. I found it completely relatable. Sometimes during this journey, life changing things happen all at once. It was encouraging to hear that she made it thru it all. God was there all along and sent people to help her as they were needed. She reminded me to relax, accept help as it comes along and to cling to my Lord. I loved her mention of scripture to study. (wish I would have had the book on a longer loan so I could sit and really think thru the references)

My reason for this 4/5 is simple. I reserve 5 for books I would keep forever on my book shelf. Although this is close...I know that I can find it easily and go back to it any time. Sometimes I also give a 4 when there is something I just can't describe that is holding me back from a full 5. But mostly...it just comes down to would I keep this on my shelf and read it again within the next 10 years.

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your reasoning for a 5 - I'm a book borrower and not a buyer unless it's a really, really good one - I'm a minimalist at heart. I had Reaching for the Invisible God in my bookcase for the longest time and re-read it multiple times until I felt I nearly had it memorized! Thanks for your input.

Sisters trip - well, I'm not holding my breath - had to cancel two flights (Hawaii was the other one) and I'm in no hurry to go through that again - still waiting for refunds ("six to nine months") and hoping they don't go bankrupt before I get it back!!.

95: Dead Man's Blues by Ray Celestin. Mystery story (not cozy!) set in 1920s Chicago. Excellent story. 5/5

Comment

96: Court Number 1 The Old Bailey, by Thomas Grant. Nonfictional account of various key trials conducted at the iconic court. 3/5

Comment

25 - Embattled Hearts
          Okay, so it's my own novella, but I had to re-read it, re-format it, and get it ready to release as an ebook ... so I'm counting it! It's Christian Historical Romance, and if anyone is interested, you can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NFKDN7C/
          Spinner of Yarns
          Author and Fiber Artist

Comment

97: A Rare Benedictine by Ellis Peters - short mysteries featuring Brother Cadfael. 5/5
            98: Six Against the Yard by the Detection Club. Short mysteries by various noted detective fiction authors of the Golden Age. 3/5

Comment

• mktspahl
              mktspahl commented
              Editing a comment
              The brother Cadfael books are so much fun!

• Lemming13
              Lemming13 commented
              Editing a comment
              I do love them myself. I think my favourite is Dead Man's Ransom.

99: Incarnate by Ramsey Campbell. Horror story I used to enjoy, but which hasn't aged well. 3/5

Comment

I did it - 100 books!
              100: Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman. Fantasy graphic novel. 5/5

Comment

• Pegg Thomas
                Pegg Thomas commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! Congrats! I'm in awe.

• DJM
                DJM commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow!! That's awesome.. You still have over a month to read more!!

Thanks, everyone - and I've managed a couple more already (one I have been reading for a while).
              101: The War in the Air by HG Wells. Prophetic about aerial warfare and global conflict, but painful to read for his awful, awful 'comic cockney' stuff. 2/5
              102: A very Murderous Christmas edited by Cecily Gayford. Detective fiction set around Christmas; I was expecting it to carry me into December, but the stories were so good I finished it in a much shorter time. 5/5

Comment

50. A Girl From Nowhere...James Maxwell (Audio) Exploration Sci-Fi 4/5
                Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +8/YTD -628 (2019-642)(2018-109)
                Book Challenge 50/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.

Comment

THIS IS A POST I THOUGHT I POSTED A WEEK AGO. APPARENTLY IT DIDN'T POST. LOL SO I'M POSTING TWO IN ONE DAY.
                  41-47 Hamish MacBeth Mysteries by M. C. Beaton: very cozy. These early Hamish books were written in the late 80s and set in the Scottish Highlands. Pure comfort reading. Among my all time favorite cozy series. I own the full set on dvd up thru #34 Death of a Nurse.
                  41 Death of a Gossip
                  42 Death of a Cad
                  43 Death of an Outsider
                  44 Death of a Perfect Wife
                  45 Death of a Hussy
                  46 Death of a Snob
                  47 Death of a Prankster

48 How to Destroy America in Three Easy Steps by Ben Shapiro - audiobook read by the author. Book and narration 5/5
                  49 The Killings at Badgers Drift by Caroline Graham the first of the Chief Inspector Barnaby books that Midsomer Murders tv show is based on. It's one of my all time favorite TV shows and I definitely love the books equally. It took me forever to read as my eyes have been particularly bad this fall but it was really nice to actually read a book for a change, much as I enjoy audiobooks. I really need to try to get ahold of the rest of the series! 5/5
                  50 The Watchmaker's Daughter by C. J. Archer, Glass and Steele bk 1 - Set in late 1800s London. Young India Steele is cheated out of her inheritance by a cad and ends up entangled with a mysterious American who looks an awful lot like a wanted poster for a man called The Dark Rider. There is mystery, magic, a great story and characters that make this a promising beginning. Definitely going to read book 2... And probably 3 thru 10 as well.
                  Book 4/5
                  Narrator, Emma Powell 3.5/5 She did terrible American accents but was such a good storyteller that I forgave her. I noticed the rest of the series has a different woman narrating. Judging from the sample, her American accent is much better.
                  Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
                  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +73 WTD +12

Comment

51-55 The first 5 books in a cozy mystery series by Victoria Hamilton. Our heroine, Jaymie Leighton lives to cook and also really loves vintage kitchen apparatus, cookware etc. She lives in a quaint Michigan town on the Canadian border. She has a three legged YorkiePoo named Hoppy and, of course, she has a really bad habit of stumbling over dead bodies and feeling compelled to solve their murders. These books are safe for those who really prefer their books in the G to PG range. No R rated stuff at all. Narrator is Emily Woo Zeller. She does a fabulous job although occasionally in the parts where she is just narrating and not speaking for anyone I would swear it was Siri. Lol
                    Books 4/5 narration 4/5
                    51 A Deadly Grind - Just after Jaymie buys an antique Hoosier at auction, someone is killed with the meat grinder from it on her back porch.
                    52 Bowled Over - A woman who used to be Jaymie's childhood friend before turning against her with no apparent reason is killed at the 4th of July picnic... With Jaymie's depression glass bowl.
                    53 Freezer I'll Shoot - This one takes place on Heartbreak Island at her families cottage. This one is a bit more complex and dark but still easily cozy in my book. I got pretty annoyed with Jaymie in this one. She's having trouble with a snotty mom if the man she's dating and the mom in me really wanted to tell her how to handle it. Lol
                    54 No Mallets Intended - This one is set around the restoration of Dumpe Manor by the Historical Society. I would LOVE to be a part of such things so I enjoyed this on that level too. They are preparing the manor for "Dickens Days" which would be exactly my jam! But of course a murderer tried to mess things up for everyone.
                    55 White Colander Crime - This one takes place at the Dickens Days Festival and Jaymie finds the beautiful young victim alive but barely. This one gets considerably darker and less cozy than the others.
                    Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
                    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +73 WTD +12

Comment

26 - Lessons on Love - historical romance novellas, four of them, with schoolteachers for heroines. Enjoyable read.
                      Spinner of Yarns
                      Author and Fiber Artist

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
                      X