LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2021 Reading Challenge πŸ“š

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Begins in Betrayal by Iona Whishaw - 4/5 - The fourth book in the series (although each is a stand alone if needed).
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

For April
      10. The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith 4/5
      This is book one of a series. I enjoyed learning a bit about the culture this woman lives in.

11. FACE by Justine Bateman 3/5
      This is a collection of 'interviews'. Loved the format. Quick and easy to read. Or, to scan thru. Which is what I did.
      These are very real, honest women telling their very real stories. The issue of women being allowed to age naturally in the U.S. is a tough issue.
      I have been through several of these experiences as well. This book is full of real, raw emotions. Some of the ladies use quite a few swear words as they describe their experiences. (as a heads up for those who are swear word sensitive.)

12. The Innocence of Father Brown. `G.K. Chesterton 5/5
      Lovely collection of mystery stories. I listened as an audiobook which made chores and crafting seem to go so much faster. I love how the author kept the character traits of Father Brown true all the way through the book.
      His values and truths stay constant.

13. A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie 4/5
      I enjoyed this mystery. The character development was fun to watch. I am hoping to read more in this series.

14. The books of Luke and John ~#14-17 Audio format read by Alexander Scourby (his voice is perfect for these readings ) 5/5
      15. The books of Matthew and Mark
      16. The books of 1 John, 2 John, 3John, and Revelations
      17. The books of Acts, and Romans

18. A Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters 4/5
      This is book #2 in the series.
      Book Challenge 20/50
      2021 stash busting WTD. o YTD. 6

Comment

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        @ annekepoot I have not seen the t.v. series. However, We were just discussing this question over in the I Love a Mystery group.
        If I remember right they did adjust a few of the characters for tv.

Here is the write up I did for the book over in the other group.
        "I finished the audio book.
        I enjoyed each one of the short mysteries. I feel Father Brown stayed true to his character. The author was able to maintain Father Browns concern for the souls of each of the 'bad guys'. He really wanted them to repent, and felt they would be better by doing so.

It was nice to hear this set of slower mysteries. I say slower not because there wasn't action and adventure, because there was plenty. It just felt slower. I knew the mystery would be solved and was simply waiting for the conclusion. Instead of feeling rushed or like the story would never end. I was simply waiting for Father Brown to explain what all the clues meant and to add in a little about human nature and the why people committed the crimes.

Glad I listened to this one."

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        annekepoot. I've seen the tv show and it isn't really true to the books. For instance, Father Brown in the books is very short and dumpy, but the tv version is over 6 feet tall; and the book version is very self-effacing and quiet, which is not the case for the tv version. There is also a regular support cast in the tv show, but in the books there is only Flambeau. I did like the tv show, but it might as well be about a completely different person.

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I've ordered two Father Brown books - I guess I'll find out! I'm usually disappointed when a book is made from a movie, or a movie made from a book - hoping this will be different!

32: Animal Ghosts by Elliot O'Donnell. Supposed to be a collection of true encounters with the spirits of animals, but a good number of them are obviously fictional. 2/5

Comment

# 57 Pawing through the Past
        # 58 Claws and Effect
        # 59 Catch as Cat Can
        # 60 Tail of the Tip Off
        # 61 Whisker of Evil
        # 62 Cats Eyewitness
        # 63 Sour Puss
        Above all by Rita Mae Brown

# 64 2 Samuel commentary by Feidhlimidh T Magennis Non Fiction # 14
        # 65 1 Kings commentary by Alice L. Laffey Non Fiction # 15
        Last edited by crosstitchlinda; 04-28-2021, 10:59 AM. Reason: Edited to fix the numbering, it had gotten off.
        Linda
        2021 Stasbusting week ending 5/1 WTD = 0 YTD = +56
        2020 Stash busted +160
        Book Challenge 66/100; 15 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
        The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

Harbinger II: The Return by Jonathan Cahn 4/5 This is a follow-up to his book The Harbinger which has some striking dating details about the past and future of America. He writes in fiction form but uses real data, some of which is really mind-blowing. He has been hailed as a modern day prophet. I'm trying to do research on him but getting both "real prophet" and "false prophet" depending on who you read. It's a frightening book, at any rate, if what he says is true. This is the third book of his that I've read and I don't plan to read any more of them as I felt very depressed afterwards and let's be honest, who needs any more depressing stuff after the past 14 months!
          Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
            KnitsWithHorses commented
            Editing a comment
            I've started and stopped several very interesting and well written non- fiction books for the same reason. I feel a need to be educated and aware but if it's mostly things that I'm already fully aware of and it's just depressing/scary/infuriating to dwell on them i put it away.

• annekepoot
            annekepoot commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with you there KnitsWithHorses for while I find information important, if it's not uplifting and if there is nothing I can do about whatever it's talking about, I would rather not fill my mind with negativity.

You gals read so much and so fast ... you wear me out! I've actually taken the past week off from reading. I don't do that very often, but I felt like I needed a break. I'll have to start a new novel tonight.
          Spinner of Yarns
          Author and Fiber Artist
          Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

• hereami
            hereami commented
            Editing a comment
            Pegg Thomas

Oh...please don't be hard on yourself. You had a crazy month. Take all the time you need.

My house was too quiet this month, so I needed audio books to fill the empty air. Got tired of hearing myself talk to my new dog. Lol.

• Pegg Thomas
            Pegg Thomas commented
            Editing a comment
            hereami New dog?! We need photos. Type? Age? Name? Details, please.

14. Trail of Dead...Melissa F. Olson (Audio) ~ Metaphysical Fiction 4/5
          15. The Naturalist...Andrew Mayne (Audio) ~ Amateur Sleuth Mystery 5/5
          16. Looking Glass (The Naturalist Book 2)...Andrew Mayne (Audio) ~ Amateur Sleuth Mystery 4.5/5
          17. The Cleric's Vault...Ernest Dempsey ~ Travel Adventure 4.5/5
          Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD +4/YTD -158 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
          Book Challenge 17/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
          Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

# 66 The Innocence of Father Brown, G. K. Chesterton
            Linda
            2020 Stash busted +160

The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

# 67 Bernadette Our Lady's Little Servant by Hertha Pauli. Written more for late elementary early middle school children but a good history of Lourdes. NF # 16
              Linda
              2020 Stash busted +160

Comment

33: A Short History of the Anglo-Saxons by Giles Morgan. A very good, readable introduction to this period of English history. 4/5

Comment

34: The Third Man and The Fallen Idol by Graham Greene. Short stories, basically the treatment for the films. Entertaining, though Greene is very bleak in his writing. 3/5

Comment

#68 2 Kings, commentary by Alice Laffey NF 17
                    #69 The Wisdom of Father Brown, G.K. Chesterton
                    Linda
                    2020 Stash busted +160

Comment

#13 Avoiding Marriage by Karin Beery - a novella
                      This is a fun read! I love it when minor characters from one book are brought back and fleshed out into their own stories. It’s even better when a not-so-admired character comes back to redeem themselves. You don’t need to read β€œPractically Married” first, but I would.
                      Spinner of Yarns
                      Author and Fiber Artist
                      Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

Rumors of Another World by Philip Yancey - 5/5 Yancey feels we are missing the supernatural hidden in everyday life. I find Yancey one of my more beloved and yet frustrating authors. He is incredible for putting into words the questions that many of us have in our minds about faith but are afraid to voice and then so eloquently tells us how he has dealt with those questions in his life. My number one favorite of his is Reaching for the Invisible God - one book I have re-read many times.

Comment

35: The Wisdom of Father Brown by GK Chesterton. More mystery short stories (I'm afraid, with a lot more racist language than in the first collection). 3/5

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
                        X