728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2021 Reading Challenge 📚

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Secret Sister by Helen Edwards and Jenny Lee Smith - The harrowing true story of twins separated at birth - the one adopted into a loving middle class family, and the other to grow up with the birth mother and her current husband, in poverty and perpetual cruel mistreatment and abuse at the hands of both, and the miraculous reunion after the deaths of these abusive parents. It always amazes me how people can abuse their own flesh and blood - so blessed to have been raised in a loving family, despite both my parents having had traumatic childhoods. They chose to ensure we didn't grow up the same way.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

61: Murder on the Brighton Express by Edward Marston. Mystery set in the Victorian age. 3/5.

Comment

After Diana by Christopher Andersen - Basically follows the Royal Family for the first ten years after Diana's death. Within the first few pages, it was evident that Andersen has a bias against the family in regards to their treatment of Diana. Since it only covered ten years, it was interesting to see what has happened since to the "boys" and the public perception of the Royals. I didn't find it particularly well written.
        Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

#23 Mysteries of the Messiah - Rabbi Jason Sobel

If you love biblical numerology, you're going to LOVE this book! But if you're like me, numbers begin to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher in your head, mawaw-waw-wawam. But there is plenty in here besides the numbers. It's worth the price of the book for Chapter 9 alone - the chapter explaining Pentecost before and Pentecost after Jesus and how they are connected.

What interested me about the book in the first place was understanding more about the Jewishness (is that a word?) of Jesus. As one who grew up with the paintings of a blue-eyed, light-skinned, light-haired Jesus, I wanted to see Him more authentically. And learning that the author is also a consultant for the series "The Chosen" was a clincher.

The book delivered on that point, connecting Jesus more to His Jewish heritage. It's not a light read - even aside from slogging through the numbers - but it's a thoughtful one. Well worth the time if you want to see Jesus differently than Da Vinci.
          Spinner of Yarns
          Author and Fiber Artist
          Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

62: A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Classic Sherlock Holmes story. 4/5

Comment

Time to catch up again!
              109 Titus, commentary by Jerome H Neyrey NF 29
              110 Job, commentary by Kathleen M O'Connor NF 30
              111 Skeleton Dance by Aaron Elkins
              112 Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers
              113 Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie
              114 Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy Sayers
              Linda
              2021 Stasbusting week ending 7/3 WTD = +6 YTD = +102
              2020 Stash busted +160
              Book Challenge 103/150; 27 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
              The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

63: Resorting to Murder edited by Martin Edwards. A collection of mystery short stories themed around holidays. 4/5
                64: Who Murdered Chaucer by Terry Jones. Actual history this time, and a fascinating read. 4/5.

Comment

Mary Higgins Clark - All Dressed in White - I feel like Ms. Clark pulled an Agatha Christie - leaving precious little clues as to the killer and casting suspicion on everyone else. I always read the end of the book just to see how "fair" the author is with the reader in leaving clues. I'd give this a 1/5 for fairness, but a 4/5 for story line.

Comment

65: Waxwork by Peter Lovesey. A mystery set in the Victorian age, and a very well crafted read.

Comment

66: Jack Maggs by Peter Carey. Victorian setting again, but not really a mystery, more of a riff on what may have prompted Dickens to write Great Expectations. Lots of content Dickens would have been horrified by, though. 3/5

Comment

The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart. Ms. Rinehart was said to be the Agatha Christie of America. This is apparently her first book and while wordy, it was a good read. I did feel that the last chapter or two of explanations of the mystery was a bit of a mashup, I did enjoy the book. Was looking forward to reading more of her books, but only seems to be available locally in e-reader format which I don't have.

Comment

#24 Elinor - Shannon McNear (releases Dec. 1, 2021)

Shannon McNear blends a believable tale from documented history, accepted lore, hours of research, and vivid imagination that will pull the reader back in time. Meet the brave men and women who set out to start a colony in the New World even before the Pilgrims. Also meet the Native Americans who befriended and opposed them. Elinor is a compelling and thoughtful story of what might have been.
                          Spinner of Yarns
                          Author and Fiber Artist
                          Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

67: Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell. The third in his series of historical novels set in the Anglo-Saxon era. Interesting, but it begins to feel a bit stretched out now. 3/5

Comment

68: Catology by Michael Powell. A very short but interesting book on cat behaviour. 3/5

Comment

Quebrando la Intimidacion (Spanish) by John Bevere. How to keep your faith when you confront intimidation, fear and discouragement.

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
                                X