LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2021 Reading Challenge 📚

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finished my first book (tbh I started it last year, but finished today). So -
    1: In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great by Michael Woods. Sort of a historical travelogue about Alexander. I love the photos of how the places look today, but I was hoping for more of the actual history. 3/5

Comment

And another I began before 1st January -
      2: Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson. Mystery set in Iceland. Great setting, but I didn't take to the characters and found the solution depended too much on information the reader wasn't privy to before the end. 2/5

Comment

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        That's how I felt about some of Agatha Christie's books - many times there was something obscure that pointed to the culprit.

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        She did do it sometimes, and she got pulled up about it in The Detection Club - they had rules about no long-lost heirs, identical twins never referred to before and so on.

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear that others picked up on that - thought it was only me feeling hard done by that no mention had been made that the housekeeper's nephew's third cousin was really the landlord's daughter and wanted revenge for not inheriting the mansion. See what I did there?

Spinner of Yarns
      Author and Fiber Artist
      Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        Hubby agrees!!

• KnitsWithHorses
        KnitsWithHorses commented
        Editing a comment
        🤣🤣🤣 I actuality loved algebra but that's still funny. My son (homeschooled) would definitely agree!

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        for me it was geometry, but I do agree!

1: The Sanctuary Sparrow, by Ellis Peters. No 7 in the Brother Cadfael series.
      Linda
      2021 Stasbusting week ending 1/23 WTD = -4 YTD = -2
      2020 Stash busted +160

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
      The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

1. The Moonlit Garden...Corina Bomann (Audio) ~ Historical Fiction 5/5
        This is was an unexpected pleasure. I enjoyed the characters and in this story, a violin almost becomes one of the characters. The main characters were 2 women whose lives were touched by the violin and the history of it's journey.

ETA: It was read by Justine Eyre who should receive a 10 rating for her work on this book.
        Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +2/YTD -30 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
        Book Challenge 1/40 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
        Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          Sounds interesting. I'll have to look that one up.

2: The Devil's Novice by Ellis Peters #8 in the Brother Cadfael series.
        Linda
        2020 Stash busted +160

The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          You are really cruising through Brother Cadfael!

1 - Tidewater Bride by Laura Frantz.

I'm a HUGE Laura Frantz fan, and this one didn't disappoint. She writes really - REALLY - good early American historical fiction/historical romance. I'd put this one in her top four. If you haven't read any of hers and like that type of book, start with Courting Morrow Little. It's technically not her best writing - from an editor's point of view - but the story ... it's amazing. One of the few books that I've read more than once. I don't know if it's still in print, but you can get the ebook.
        Spinner of Yarns
        Author and Fiber Artist
        Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

3. Dead Man's Ransom, Ellis Peters, #9 in the Brother Cadfael series.
          Linda
          2020 Stash busted +160

Comment

The Advocate by Randy Singer - I didn't have high hopes when beginning this book, but it eventually caught my attention. It's an historical fiction set around the time of the Caesars intersecting with the rise of Christianity. Lots of interesting historical tidbits woven around the life of Theopholis, a lawyer in Rome.
            Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
              Editing a comment
              I just read the description of this book yesterday when it popped up in my "newly arrived" list on Libby and I put it on my list for possible future reads.

• annekepoot
              annekepoot commented
              Editing a comment
              I liked the historical aspect but it probably wouldn't be one I would read again.

3: The Case of the Gilded Fly by Edmund Crispin. Lightweight but fun mystery. 3/5

Comment

4. The Pilgrim of Hate, Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael #10
              Linda
              2020 Stash busted +160

Comment

4: Dark Companions by Ramsey Campbell. Horror short stories. 3/5

Comment

5. An Excellent Mystery, Brother Cadfael #11 Ellis Peters
                  6. The Raven in the Foregate, Brother Cadfael #12 Ellis Peters

(Only 8 more to go in the series, She has another Series -- Felse-- that I might read more of I read the first one at the end of 2020 and it was difficult to get into)
                  Linda
                  2020 Stash busted +160

Comment

• Lemming13
                    Lemming13 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know she wrote a series called The Brothers of Gwynedd under her own name, Edith Pargeter, I've been meaning to read those.

• KnitsWithHorses
                    Editing a comment
                    I started the first Felse book and was really liking it but it was print and my eyes are really bad right now. I'm on a wait list for the audio.

The Paradigm by Jonathan Cahn - riveting relationship between Jewish history and intersecting recent American history. 5/5
                  Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

2. The Relic Hunters...David Leadbeater (Audio) ~ Action/Adventure 4/5
                    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +2/YTD -30 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
                    Book Challenge 1/40 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
                    Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
                    X