728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2021 Reading Challenge πŸ“š

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm just seeing how many more books I can get through before the end of the year. I'm quite pleased at how many titles I've read outside my usual choices (horror and mystery).
    1o1: More Rivals of Sherlock Holmes by Nick Rennison. An anthology of detective stories from the Holmesian era. 3/5

Comment

41 Crocodile On the Sand Bank by Elizabeth Peters - Amelia Peabody bk 1, narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt (I Love a Mystery group cozy selection for September)
      42 Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters - Amelia Peabody bk 2, narrated by Susan O'Malley
      43 Case of the Mummy by Elizabeth Peters - Amelia Peabody bk 3, read by Susan O'Malley I bought the first one several years ago so it was a re-listen. My only complaint was that the reader made Amelia and Emerson sound way older than they are supposed to be. Otherwise she is a really gifted narrator. But now they offer a free version of books 2-6 so I tried it. The reader is really good but.. she isn't British and doesn't really do a British accent. These books are about British people from late 19th century England so that is annoying. But they were free and she is otherwise a good reader so I'm good with it. 😁
      Amelia is a wealthy Victorian lady but by no means typical. She is very strong, independent and opinionated. She never hesitates to speak her mind and comes off a bit crusty at times. She has a passion for archaeology and most of the books so far take place in Egypt. Definitely of the cozy mystery genre and pretty clean to read (minimal bad language, sexual content etc) except there are some pretty disturbing things referred to such as the treatment of a young Muslim woman who displeased her father.

Natalie from Oklahoma

β€œThe secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant.” – Robespierre

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -84 WTD +2
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 21

Comment

102: A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. Classic romantic adventure/ war story. Some modern readers might not like the language and attitudes, but I enjoyed it. 4/5

Comment

Catching up on my list...

22: Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
          23: Hunting Ground (A & O, #2)
          24: Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)

These series are paranormal romance and not Christian, but I consider them anti-atheist.
          Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = +2, YTD = -424
          Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

Your Brain is Always Listening by Daniel Amen - Great explanation of how our daily thoughts and actions impact our brain health.
            Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

Bosquejos Expositivos de la Biblia (Spanish) by Warren Wiersbe - Commentary on the books from Acts to Philippians. Wiersbe is an excellent teacher and explains these books clearly for the lay person.
              Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

Tara by Michael and Donna Nason - The efforts of these parents to help their brain-injured child are incredible. Sadness that she doesn't recover as much as they would like, but she is loved nevertheless.

Comment

25: Iron Kissed (Mercy #3)
                  26: Bone Crossed (Mercy #4)
                  27: Silver Borne (Mercy #5)
                  28: River Marked (Mercy #6)
                  29: Fair Game (A & O #3)
                  30: Frost Burned (Mercy #7)

These are re-reads, at this point, so they went faster than a new book would. Needless to say, I did not do as much yarn crafting this last week.

Comment

Daughter of Gloriavale by Lilia Tarawa. Growing up in an oppressive cult in New Zealand. The author chronicles her life and the eventual escape of her whole family from a cult founded by her grandfather. Her pendulum swings wildly the other way for a while but eventually settles into a balanced life with a mission to help others in similar situations. Riveting in the detailing of early childhood brainwashing by a powerful figure.

Comment

42) Murder's No Votive Confidence by Christin Brecher - Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #1
                      43) Murder Makes Scents by Christin Brecher - Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #2
                      44) 15 Minutes of Flame by Christin Brecher - Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #3

#3 is the cozy selection for I Love a Mystery group but I'm anal about reading a series in order and these are quick, light, fun reads so I borrowed all three. These are the only 3 in the series so far and quite recently published so there will probably be more.
                      Natalie from Oklahoma

β€œThe secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant.” – Robespierre

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -84 WTD +2
                      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 21

Comment

A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny - Read about this author and thought I would try one of her books. The author writes about a character who is used in a series of her books. The mystery writing was quite good and made for an interesting read, but I didn't enjoy the profanity - I believe it rarely adds to the story.

Comment

• Pegg Thomas
                          Pegg Thomas commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't appreciate profanity in books either.

• annekepoot
                          annekepoot commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Pegg Thomas - My thoughts exactly - most of the time it's just gratuitous and a competent writer should be able to develop a character in such a way that you know he/she probably swears, but you don't actually have to read it yourself. Maybe I'm just too sensitive but it's not part of my daily experience and it jars.

• KnitsWithHorses
                          KnitsWithHorses commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Same here. If it's used sparingly and seems to really suit the story situation then I overlook it. I'm actually struggling with that right now. I'm reading a book by Native American author Richard Wagamese. It focuses on 4 homeless people and it is a haunting story and his writing is compelling but my gosh the swearing. I understand that people who live like these people and who have been through what they have been through very probably swear every bit this much, in fact, I know they do. But I feel like you could make that point without actually including ALL of it. It starts making me feel.... dark. I don't need that so I may not finish it. It's a shame as it's really an interesting story with a lot of potential.

103: Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. A thriller set in the Languedoc of France in both historical and modern times. Tbh, I liked this author's short stories but found this rather boring. 2/5
                        104: The Sign and the Seal by Graham Hancock. Covers much the same ground as the previous one, but allegedly as non-fiction. Entertaining but rather unconvincing. 3/5

Comment

105: Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter. Inspector Morse mystery, and an interesting read. 3/5

Comment

31: Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega, #4)
                            32: Night Broken (Mercy, #8)
                            33: Fire Touched (Mercy, #9)
                            34: Silence Fallen (Mercy, #10)
                            35: Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5)

Comment

106: The Wench is Dead by Colin Dexter. Inspector Morse mystery. 3/5

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
                              X