Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Forum Blue Sky - Wish List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Blue Sky - Wish List

"old time" programmers and market reserachers often ask "If the Sky Is the Limit"
    These lists were often referred to as "Blue Sky"

No Promises, but if there is something you WISH, FiberKind could do or do differently -
    Describe it in this Topic.

If you see something that you really want LIKE it -

Some things are easy, some are not, but knowing what interests folks will help Admin & snickerdoodle shape the future of FiberKind
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts
    =====
    My personal views & Opinions may well not be those of the owners, management and other moderators - nor, are they intended to be personal, but may require adult sized undies.

Honey do lock the tool bar (Notification, Messages, Profile) stick to the top of the page so one doesn't have to scroll all the way back to the top to recheck messages/notifications. Pretty please and sugar on top? <3
    Last edited by wheat; 08-30-2019, 04:38 PM.
    Character matters; leadership descends from character. ~Rush Limbaugh

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Comment

• wheat
      wheat commented
      Editing a comment
      moved to forum for Tech Support of site
      Designer "web dev" is meant as a place where those who offer services related to a Designing Author's needs for a website, blog styling, etc can be offered.

I would love a way to "like" someone's reply to a comment. As of now, we can only "like" the main comment.

Comment

I wish I could see all the members that joins a group. You can see only the first few . As a group owner I can go to settings and see who joined , its always exciting when members join in. Thanks for the wish list.
      Nothing is impossible, the word itself say's "I'm Possible"
      Audrey Hepburn

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        wheat - there is a bug somewhere as we are only able to see the first page...

• wheat
        wheat commented
        Editing a comment
        Char what group and what first page? Members, Topics, Both

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        wheat - when I am in the sock knitting group - it says there are 9 pages of members (under manage joined members). I can see page one but it doesn’t let me go beyond that.

Now - if I go to manage subscribers - that I can go to page 2.

Also, is there a way in the future that we could have our own member page to include our yarn/fiber stash (for keeps, sale, etc.) and for a list of our projects--dare I say it--like the site we left had??? (Ducking here in case I get some rotten tomatoes hurled my way). Maybe this is in the works, and if so, that's fine. Just wanted to put it out there since this is a "wish list".

Comment

• wheat
        wheat commented
        Editing a comment
        you sort of can now, from the dropdown menu at teh top right, your login name has a drop down menu
        go to my profile, it is not like a face book personal page, but does seem to have some uses that may grow in time
        I have only had a brief time to "see" how it works -
        BUT am wondering if those who "subscribe" from that page get any sort of notice when I "Post"

• knitterlady13
        knitterlady13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Admin is currently working on a stash section. He said when that is complete it won't be as difficult/time consuming to add project pages, etc. Here's one of the threads that discusses that: https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...-stash-storage

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        wheat, I can see what you're saying--I did go there and if I click on "media", it at least shows the pictures I've posted, including a stash and any project pics. knitterlady13, thanks for reminding me about this thread! I had forgotten that. I just need to be a bit more patient, then!

rkennell Your comment reminds me of another wish. The way the group threads are set up, when one goes to a group page only a few of the threads show up...the "latest topics". It's not obvious that one has to click another tab to see more threads. I have mentioned before that I'd really love to see forums and groups combined and the threads available in a grid style...sorry to say it, but like it's set up on R. Note that I do understand this is a totally different site, but I do think the other site is a good reference point.

Barring what I said above, I think it would be really helpful to either default to the "topics" list first OR put a "view more topics" button at the top and bottom of the latest topics view.

Comment

• wheat
        wheat commented
        Editing a comment
        Although I rather disliked the grid system, that is purely personal preference - but to better understand what you asking for...

Are you using phone, tablet or lap/desk top to access FiberKind.com?

I would have to look to double check, but am fairly sure that forum do offer access to additional pages. - as do individual topics when the responses exceed a single page view.

Will look at some groups tomorrow.

wheat I use both a phone and a laptop. When I use my phone, I view the site in desktop view...not mobile view, so my view is exactly the same with either. What I like about the grid system is that you can see all of your forums and groups on a single page and also see topics in the grid. What I also found more "friendly" about the R system is that you're only viewing groups/forums that you want to see and not info from every group as it's posted all mixed up. It eliminates the clutter from groups that one doesn't have an interest in and keeps group topics together and easy to find.

As far as access to additional pages, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about viewing the list of topics in a group. The default is to the most recent topics only. (I assume this is determined by date.) So when you click to view a group, it may only show a couple of topics when, in reality, there is a much longer list. It may be a design issue, but it's not very obvious that there is a longer list that can be accessed by clicking a different tab. I'm attaching a screenshot. On the right where I have the pages circled, that I think is what you're talking about. That would change to show more pages if there are more topics posted in recently. (Maybe it would help for "recently" to have a bit of a longer time/date setting.) What I'm referring to is the circle on the left "latest topics". It may be just me, but just casually browsing it's really not obvious that there are more topics that wouldn't show up on that tab. Again, this might just be my preference, but if we aren't able to get a more consolidated view of all of our information, then I think it might be better for the group pages to default to showing all threads - most recent to least recent - rather than only the very latest topics.

Please note that I'm not trying to criticize...just offering suggestions that may make things a bit more streamlined and easier to navigate...less hunting for info on different pages. I guess my biggest "ask" for the groups and forums right now is a consolidated view where we only see the groups and forums that we've joined/subscribed to.

Comment

• wheat
        wheat commented
        Editing a comment
        May I assume you saw the explanation I made elsewhere that on the groups landing page, sort of below the area to select categories, is a list of "My Groups" or some similar heading?

I am going to need to read/re-read this a few time to be sure I am understanding.
        and yes, sometimes software engineers do not think like the rest of the population.
        I did once tell a programmer if he said the word "Elegant" one more time instead of "functional"
        there was a possibility of me taping his mouth shut.

Of course the other point of view is - maybe something in the "latest topics" will spark your interest = so you might lose that learning opportunity under the "other system"

Like I said, I need to read this several times - to be sure I understand - or else I will be up all night wondering "I wonder if she meant .... or could it be she really means... So very much appreciate your taking the time to clarify.

wheat I just wanted to follow up with this info. I'm not sure how the latest topics are determined, but in one of my groups on that page there is only one topic showing. If I click over to the topics list (showing all topics), there are topics that have posts from yesterday (and others from the last 2-4 days) that don't show up on the "latest" list.

Comment

• wheat
        wheat commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you have made your point quite clearly - so don't think more info is needed at this time.

• knitterlady13
        knitterlady13 commented
        Editing a comment
        wheat I'm sorry if I have annoyed you with this information and/or my requests/comments.That wasn't my intention at all. I wasn't trying to make a point other than simply clarifying my observations. I do I understand what a huge undertaking it is to create and maintain a site that is so user interactive. However, I do assume that Admin requested this topic to be started or you created it for a reason....as a wish list where suggestions and clarifications are welcomed without anyone becoming offended or defensive. (There was always an issue with that on R and I hope it doesn't become the case here.) I think everyone understands that all requests may not be granted or even considered. I hope that everyone knows how much work goes into this and that our Admin also has other life responsibilities....I don't see anyone making demands, so I have to think this is the case. I do see posts by members in other threads that seem frustrated, but I do not think that is a comment on this site. I see it as merely frustration at people having lost their entire organizational system and trying to find a new place and figure out how they fit in.

All of that said, I would assert that perhaps the formatting of the forums and groups is less important than further creation to the site....notebook pages or whatever admin chooses to call them. I am a member of all 3 new sites, but so far this site is the only one that I see as really going someplace. FiberKind has the opportunity to be 'first to market' with user friendly features beyond forums. If (hopefully when) that happens, I am guessing that membership is going to grow by leaps and bounds. I would hope as membership increases, so does advertising and designers/yarnies posting items for sale. At least that's my hope for this site. I've seem many small businesses who are now expanding away from R, so there's great opportunity for those people to look this direction.

• wheat
        wheat commented
        Editing a comment
        I am not annoyed by your post in this forum, just letting you know I felt I understood what you were asking for -
        so again, thank you for the clarifications.

When I am not logged in, on the Home Page there is an invitation to click the FAQ button "above." But there is no FAQ button above, just a clickable FAQ in the sentence, which might be hard to see, depending on the font. So I would recommend taking out the wording to click the link "above."

Also, there is a lot of good stuff in the FAQs, and once I log in I don't get to see the invitation to read them. Could we maybe have FAQ as a heading along with FORUMS, GROUPS, etc.? Or some other little visible button so it is easy to go there?

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        wheat Thank you and hats off to all involved in the nitty gritty.

• wheat
        wheat commented
        Editing a comment
        btw, can you metnion what type of device and browser you are using ot access the forum,
        i have not been able to "duplicate" based on the info above.

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        wheat you asked about my device - I am on a Chromebook. I can only see the invitation to read the FAQs when I log off. It appears right under the Fiberkind banner in a sentence directed to visitors. If I am logged in, which I usually am, I don't see it. It's not a big problem, but if someone was new and was looking where to find the FAQ button "above," I see no button above. But you can still get to it if you click the "FAQ" that is in bold.

Just to keep everyone up to speed, I took a couple days off to spend time with my family, we had an event that I took my kids to that was away from the computer. Please keep adding to this list, it's helpful, a lot of these are smallish things that just require some changes to vbulletin code, they are do-able but for the moment I'd like to focus on new features and come back to this list once we get some new stuff launched (I've been slowly working on the stash stuff, I really want to focus on that). I also need to move the marketplace to the fiberkind hostname. I'll be working on that stuff tonight and come back to this list once we've launched the stash/yarn storage bits.
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm so glad you got to take a couple of days off!

• wheat
        wheat commented
        Editing a comment
        so glad you had a "happy" family time distraction - and FWIW, I agree the Re-brand and Stash are and should be the top priority
    Working...
    X