Cricut Gives Your Ultimate Cutting Precision

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Blocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking

What do you use for blocking? Do you have any before and after blocking photos you'd like to share?
    In a world where you can be anything, be kind.

US Gardening Zone 8B

I described this in another thread, it's a 4' by 8' exterior insulation board that I got at Lowes for about $8 and it works great for blocking. You could trim it down with a utility knife so it could fit under a bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_095116.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	35679

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

Before blocking:

Name:	20191019_213953.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	35681

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

After:

Name:	Garden of Diamonds.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	35683

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow--what a difference blocking makes! I've not done much of any kind lacework, so most of my stuff hasn't had that dramatic of a result when I blocked it. It's a gorgeous shawl!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! It’s Garden of Diamonds by Garnstudio. Blocking makes a big difference with lace.

I use foam interlocking tiles that fit together like a puzzle. I like that you can put out just as many as you need and you can create the shape you need.
        Naperville, IL - Growing Zone 5b

2020 50 Book Challenge = 2

Comment

• WeeBizzom
          WeeBizzom commented
          Editing a comment
          I use interlocking tiles, too. Mine are the kind sold as children's play mats, which are a lot cheaper than the ones sold as blocking boards. Seriously, I paid less for a pack of nine play mat tiles than some people wanted for one blocking board - and yes, they were the same size, 12 inches/30 cm square, so it is worth shopping around.

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought the larger interlocking tile mats from my local hardware store. I need to keep them away from my hubby so he doesn't use them in his shop, LOL.

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          I got my set of foam tiles at Costco. When our grandson comes from out of town, we put the tiles down on the concrete basement floor so he has a safe place to play. I just wipe them off before using them for blocking again.

Another important thing about blocking is what pins you use. I had read horror stories about pins rusting and leaving marks on projects so I made sure to get rustproof pins.

Another horror story I saw about blocking was someone put a damp project on a towel on a bed with a white comforter. She didn't have good enough coverage with her towel and the yarn bled on her comforter.

FreedomLover - when you lean it against the wall does it tend to stretch the finished work at all? I would think it would pull in ways I wouldn't want it to, however if it doesn't maybe it is an option to keep my furry friends off too!
        Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = +14; YTD = +54

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          It doesn’t, but I use a gazillion pins.

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X