This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Blocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking

What do you use for blocking? Do you have any before and after blocking photos you'd like to share?
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

I described this in another thread, it's a 4' by 8' exterior insulation board that I got at Lowes for about $8 and it works great for blocking. You could trim it down with a utility knife so it could fit under a bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_095116.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	35679
    Shelly in South Carolina

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

Before blocking:

Name:	20191019_213953.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	35681
      Shelly in South Carolina

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

After:

Name:	Garden of Diamonds.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	35683
        Shelly in South Carolina

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow--what a difference blocking makes! I've not done much of any kind lacework, so most of my stuff hasn't had that dramatic of a result when I blocked it. It's a gorgeous shawl!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! It’s Garden of Diamonds by Garnstudio. Blocking makes a big difference with lace.

I use foam interlocking tiles that fit together like a puzzle. I like that you can put out just as many as you need and you can create the shape you need.
        Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• WeeBizzom
          WeeBizzom commented
          Editing a comment
          I use interlocking tiles, too. Mine are the kind sold as children's play mats, which are a lot cheaper than the ones sold as blocking boards. Seriously, I paid less for a pack of nine play mat tiles than some people wanted for one blocking board - and yes, they were the same size, 12 inches/30 cm square, so it is worth shopping around.

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought the larger interlocking tile mats from my local hardware store. I need to keep them away from my hubby so he doesn't use them in his shop, LOL.

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          I got my set of foam tiles at Costco. When our grandson comes from out of town, we put the tiles down on the concrete basement floor so he has a safe place to play. I just wipe them off before using them for blocking again.

Another important thing about blocking is what pins you use. I had read horror stories about pins rusting and leaving marks on projects so I made sure to get rustproof pins.

Another horror story I saw about blocking was someone put a damp project on a towel on a bed with a white comforter. She didn't have good enough coverage with her towel and the yarn bled on her comforter.

FreedomLover - when you lean it against the wall does it tend to stretch the finished work at all? I would think it would pull in ways I wouldn't want it to, however if it doesn't maybe it is an option to keep my furry friends off too!
        Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: 0; YTD -246

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          It doesn’t, but I use a gazillion pins.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...