Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Americana Keyhole Scarf KAL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Americana Keyhole Scarf KAL

Calling all Knitters!

I am feeling quite patriotic and we have local elections this year... and I want to wear an Americana Keyhole Scarf to the voting booths in November.

So - anyone want to knit along? It looks like a fun and easy knit. Maybe run through the week of Labor Day?

I could not find the yarn locally but I did find three packs of the Red Heart Americana on Amazon.

or - build your own! Colors are your choice!

edit: See post 4 for the PDFs of the patterns
    Starts
    08-14-2019
    Ends
    09-07-2019
    Last edited by Char; 08-19-2019, 06:18 AM.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Here are a few photos for inspiration... the possibilities are endless.

Last edited by qfknit; 08-15-2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I'll attempt to post the patterns here on the Knit-ALong, for convenience... in the meanwhile I'll share these links:

Americana Keyhole Scarf:
      1) Forum - Knitting Patterns: Americana Keyhole Scarf
      2) Group - Free Knitting Patterns: Americana Keyhole Scarf

Americana Keyhole Scarf - Bunting style:
      1) Forum - Knitting Patterns: Americana Keyhole Scarf - Bunting Style
      2) Group - Free Knitting Patterns: Americana Keyhole Scarf - Bunting Style

Comment

Here are uploads of the two patterns, and variations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	18550
        Attached Files
        Last edited by qfknit; 08-16-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Some current sources/prices for the Red Heart Super Saver worsted-weight acrylic yarn, in the stars-and-stripes colorway called "Americana ":
          1) Amazon $3.84/skein - Free shipping on orders over $25.00, or with PRIME.
          2) Walmart $44.36/12-pack ($3.69/skein) Free shipping on orders over $35.
          3) JoAnn $3.33/skein minimum ship quantity 3 (Note: It is coded as America, not as Americana)
          4) OfficeSupply $4.19/skein - Free shipping over $45.

Online prices and in-store prices may vary.
          Prices, availability, free shipping, and anticipated delivery dates subject to change without notice.
          Last edited by qfknit; 08-17-2019, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            I see Joann’s has free shipping ... hmmm

• qfknit
            qfknit commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes it the best deal, then!

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            tangledskein the free shipping at JoAnns ends today... just in case you are interested

I also liked the camo so I ordered that too

Sounds fun, I'm in! I just ordered the Americana yarn from Amazon. Can't wait to get started!
          Last edited by Nyssareen; 08-16-2019, 06:06 PM.
          ~If I could attack with a more sensible approach, obviously that's what I'd be doing... Right?!~

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            Yay! Happy to have you along! I am planning to start this evening or tomorrow morning.

qfknit - do you have pictures of the cable variations? The ones on the pattern are kinda small and when I zoom in I can’t see it very well. :-)

Comment

• qfknit
            qfknit commented
            Editing a comment
            Great question, Char.
            I do have some photos showing Americana Keyhole Scarves with reversible cables... and I'll upload them here on the KAL.
            Last edited by qfknit; 08-17-2019, 10:35 PM.

These photos show some cable variations:
          1) 4-stitch reversible cable edge
          2) centered 8-stitch cable

Name:	
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	19107Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	19108
          Last edited by qfknit; 08-17-2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Thank you!!! Very pretty! :-)

Comment

Well, I finished my first keyhole scarf - I started a few weeks ago.

Name:	8E9013C4-CC75-4232-AB19-6F50AE8CCC86.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	19112

Now I can start on my Americana - which I have. I am to the first part of the stars keyhole, ready to start the second side tomorrow. :-)

Comment

• qfknit
                qfknit commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice scarf! It looks GREAT in the blue and gray stripes.

Wow! It sounds like you are making quick progress on your patriotic scarf!

Well... life got in the way of keeping up with knitting! No actually, work on Thursday and Friday and a Voice of the Martyrs conference on saturday and church and church picnic today! Busy busy busy.

I was at Hobby Lobby last week and picked up yarn to make a scarf. Now that I've missed the cast on date.... I'll just have to catch up... after I take a little nap!

Comment

• qfknit
                qfknit commented
                Editing a comment
                Joylinnknits - glad you can join us. Not to worry about the cast-on date! Enjoy your nap, and looking forward to seeing you back here later...!

Joylinnknits glad to have you with us! I think you’ll find there is plenty of time. Glad you found sone yarn to use! When you can, send us a pic!

Comment

My yarn has arrived! Now I just have to figure out how to do the pattern like I want to. Even though I learned to knit more than 20 years ago, I haven't done it much until recently. I'm not very good with "customizable" patterns, much better when it just tells me exactly what to do and when. But, I'll figure it out!
                ~If I could attack with a more sensible approach, obviously that's what I'd be doing... Right?!~

Comment

• Char
                  Char commented
                  Editing a comment
                  as you get it going if you need help figuring something out be sure to holler! qfknit is hanging out here. I am not a pro by any means but am willing to help as well. :-)

• Char
                  Char commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I should ask - do you have thoughts on how you want this one to look?

• qfknit
                  qfknit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nyssareen - Char gave great tips. May I ask a few questions which may help with the design? Once there is a clear idea of how you want the scarf to look, I can guide you more easily through the pattern options.

- Is the scarf for yourself?
                  - Which picture(s) in the pattern & posts do you like best?
                  - Would you like to drape a tape measure around your neck and measure the approximate length of tails you would like, and the length around your neck you would like?

qfknit Yes, it's for me (though I might end up making another one for a friend who works at the polls every year). I like the style you have in your profile pic best. I am very tall and have a thickish neck, so I think somewhere around 45"-50" total length, just based on my quick measurement.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• qfknit
                  qfknit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  STATIONARY FLAG or WAVING FLAG
                  The scarf in my profile pic has each red stripe and each white stripe beginning at the start of a row. This gets a bit fiddly. In working with 28 stitches, 1x1 ribbing, and a size 6 needle, I found that for each stripe, I may need to re-knit a row of stitches a bit more tightly or looser to get the color changes to work out evenly to the beginning of a row. Several of the other scarves pictured in the pattern show the color change occurring at random places in each row... I think of these as depicting flags waving in the breeze.

TAILS
                  The scarf in my profile pic has a tail of 5 red stripes up to the keyhole, and the tail is about 8" long.
                  The yarn has 6 red stripes between sections of navy-and-white-stars.
                  If you are tall, you may want a tail of 6 red stripes up to the keyhole; about 9.5" long.

NECK
                  The length around the neck depends on how snug (for warmth) or loose (as a fashion accessory) you wish to wear your scarf. The scarf in the profile pic has 10 red stripes around the neck (about 16 inches): a continuous section of yarn with 5 red stripes, a splice in the white stripe to join a new section of 5 red stripes... then the scarf continues with a section of navy-and-white-stars for the part of the scarf that tucks into the keyhole... and finishes with a tail of red stripes.

A scarf with a length of about 19 inches around the neck could be made in a similar manner, with 2 sections of 6 red stripes.
                  A scarf with a longer length around the neck could be made by splicing in more red stripes, or knitting a section of navy-and-white-stars for the center back of the neck.

Scarf choice for this KAL: Bunting style.
                Ruffle yarn: Red Heart Super Saver - E300 3943 Americana
                Main color: Hobby Lobby "I Love This Yarn" stonewash - 08 Dark Gray
                Needle: Knitter's Pride Nova Cubics Platina, US size 6 (4.00mm)

Two update photos:
                1- Cast on Sunday August 18, 2019.
                2- WIP Monday August 19, 2019.

So far, so good.

Comment

• qfknit
                  qfknit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a great question, Char!

Lets see if this answers it...
                  1) In the bunting pattern, the ruffle begins with 80 stitches at the cast-on-edge (navy-with-white-stars) and this decreases through the white stripe and red stripe to 20 stitches. [This decrease in stitches cinches the scarf in.]
                  2) The main color starts with 20 stitches. These are divided, with alternating stitches slipped to a stitch holder. 10 stitches on needle, 10 on stitch holder.
                  3) Each of the two sets of 10 stitches will be a foundation row for one face or side of the keyhole. Working one face or side of the keyhole at a time, in row 1, increase from 10 stitches to 20 stitches: (K1, Purl 1 below) all across the row, to establish 1x1 ribbing. [1x1 ribbing tends to cinch the fabric in.]
                  4) After knitting both faces or sides of the keyhole, knit the keyhole closed, working alternating stitches from each face or side, to create 40 stitches in 2x2 ribbing: Knit 1 stitch from face or side A, Knit 1 stitch from face or side B, Purl 1 stitch from face or side A, Purl 1 stitch from face or side B... to end of row. [The increase from 20-stitches-on-each-face-or-side-of-keyhole to 40 stitches for the part of the scarf which wraps around the neck makes the keyhole seem relatively cinched in, as compared with the wider part of the scarf.]

The photo on the left shows the above 4 parts of the scarf.

The photo on the right still needs a few inches of length to wrap around the neck (40 stitches), and then will have a keyhole (20 stitches on each face or side), then a ruffle (increasing from 20 to 80 stitches) before casting off.

Does that description help?

• Char
                  Char commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes very much so - thank you!

• qfknit
                  qfknit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are welcome! Let me know if you have more questions.
              Working...
              X