Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Shawl Make along

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shawl Make along

The days are getting shorter and it is starting to cool off where I am, which means it is coming up on Shawl season!!!

I love shawls that are not as “deep” down the back. I also like a one skein shawl. What is your favorite shawl?

Join me for a shawl make along now through October 31st. Let’s see pics and patterns!!!
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

My favorite shawls to wear tend to be crescent shaped. I like having extra width, but I also like a deeper crescent rather than a very shallow one. I've also recently rediscovered my love of top-down triangles. I quit making them for a long time because I was finding them difficult to keep on and didn't love the point falling at my lower back. However, I've found some patterns for very large triangles and that works better for me. I finished one a few weeks ago that I really loved and took it with me on a trip. My friend that we were visiting fell in love with the shawl, so I gave it to her. I did get to wear it once. I also love knitting sideways asymmetrical triangles, but I don't find them as wearable as crescents.

Comment

I adore triangles, especially top down ones, but I am no longer feeling the love for light, lacey, complex patterns. I am now preferring shawls that are more substantial and functional rather than overwhelmingly decorative. That is where I "went wrong" in knitting ornate over function. While you can have both, I am no longer into shawls as jewelry.

Comment

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said, Zibeline !
        While I sometimes still enjoy the fancier things, I have a growing appreciation for things which give comfort.

• Zibeline
        Zibeline commented
        Editing a comment
        And at 62, I need comfort and warmth. I started wearing shawls at work before I retired. I was amazed at how much better I felt with that added warmth.

I believe I am going to use this yarn. I had intended for socks, but now I am feeling like it should be a shawl. I have the “Close to you” shawl in my Dropbox so I will probably make that one. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC393090-1C3A-446A-B4B0-F5EAAC4AF96E.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	26172

Comment

Char Pretty yarn!! What is it? It kind of looks like some Ancient Arts yarn that I have in my stash.

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I believe it is Alaskan Yarn Company. I bought several hanks while on an Alaskan Cruise (oh my!) but the tag is gone. I wound it in the spring intending to make socks, but here it still sits waiting to be made into something.

It is absolutely scrumptious yarn. Soft.... 🥰. I love working with this brand. I picked up a couple Hanks our first Alaskan cruise. I remember when we were planning our second (this time with the kids) I knew I needed extra room in my suitcase. :-)

• knitterlady13
          knitterlady13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Char I just found their etsy shop! Added it to my faves.

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome!!! :-)

I like crescent shaped shawls, to wear either as shawls or as scarves. I also like rectangular wraps, and am working on a very simple one right now in worsted weight (Three Way Wrap), for extra warmth in my office this winter. I hope to make a Clapotis in sock yarn after that.

Comment

• qfknit
          qfknit commented
          Editing a comment
          aronan - NICE! The bias looks interesting, and the drop-stitch gives me the impression that it would be a fairly quick knit.
          Since I am beautiful without even trying, this is definitely the scarf for me!

I'll be working on finishing up "Fanged" by Lisa Mutch. (Scroll down on this page: https://www.northboundknitting.com/shawls) Lisa has been adding many of her shawls to her etsy shop, but I have this pattern and several more of hers from "the before times". I'm using Wendy's Wonders SW Merino Gradient in the Chinese Lanterns colorway. I'll try to get a progress pic up in the next couple of days.

Comment

• Carlota
          Carlota commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are some lovely designs. I see that Lisa Mutch also has her patterns on LoveCrafts.

• knitterlady13
          knitterlady13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Carlota You're right! I forgot to mention that her patterns are on lovecrafts. Quite often she very generously offers patterns free for a day or two (one pattern at a time). I've purchased several of her patterns, but also have many that she offered free for a limited time.

I have a test knit going on as well - I’ll try to get a pic of that in the morning. This is a designer from Brazil I have worked with a lot and she kept my email. :-) I am trying to get her to come here... I think she may.

Comment

Name:	5777B446-54AE-4D51-85A9-818D098C5523.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	26225knitterlady13 - I found the label this morning - sitting on my desk. Lol. Confirmed Alaskan Yarn Company.

Comment

I think I will join this with a crochet crescent shaped shawl. Fingering weight yarn, maybe varigated. I will probably modify a pattern I found. It was in my documents, probably from that other site. Char thanks for starting this activity 🙂

Comment

qfknit lsmrcd We'll hold the chatter here Please show pictures!!!

Comment

• lsmrcd
                lsmrcd commented
                Editing a comment
                Char, Since I stopped in the middle of a row last night my shawl looks like a clump of yarn at the moment. Pair that with the lovely overcast sky I think something is hinting I should attempt a photo a little later. :-D

I love all odd shapes shawls, as I think they seems to knit up faster than a traditional triangle shawl. However I've been enjoying wraps a lot too. I am currently knitting fading point, with yarns I dyed (it's so squishy yet sturdy!)

Name:	2019-09-12 10.04.14 1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	26289

Name:	2019-08-24 02.51.23 1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	26291
              Attached Files

Comment

• qfknit
                qfknit commented
                Editing a comment
                Lovely ombre effect!

• chrisz
                chrisz commented
                Editing a comment
                Stunning! Nice work.

• knitter131
                knitter131 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ooohhh! The yarn is beautiful, and your shawl is perfect in every way! Great job in your dying and of course your knitting 😊

Here is a picture of the test knit I am working on. The cable edging/cast off panel is taking FOREVER. Hence the need for motivation.

Name:	8280824C-BD8D-4BD3-9738-E86F3260A0DF.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	26345

Comment

• Char
                Char commented
                Editing a comment
                Miamifiberco - I’m struggling honestly. I much prefer fingering weight shawls (or so I am learning with this shawl.) I should probably switch needles - that will help too I think.

• Miamifiberco
                Miamifiberco commented
                Editing a comment
                Is that worsted weight? Yes needles make a big difference IMO, are you using a cable needle? I've found a preference for a DPN as my "cable needle" if I use one at all.. I know it can be daunting when you just aren't feeling it. Maybe a quick hat or the like to get your mojo going? ❤

• Char
                Char commented
                Editing a comment
                Miamifiberco Yes - it is worsted weight yarn. I am actually not using a cable needle - I do my cables by dropping and picking up in the order I need to work them. 🥰. I will probably switch over to my Chiaogoo needles this morning.

I currently have another shawl, a pair of toe up socks (see the Sock Knitters United group for fun sock KALs), a baby blanket (round ripple) all on the needles/hooks. :-). I definitely like multiple projects to keep my interest going. :-)
                Last edited by Char; 09-13-2019, 07:47 AM.

Thank you all, not sure how to reply directly lol! sorry!

Comment

Here's the beginning of my shawl. Berroco Comfort Sock in Gray. If you look closely you'll see the pattern repeat.

Name:	IMG_20190912_165459704.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	26372

Comment

Working...
              X