LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Cat Bordhi Rio Calina Cowl Knit Along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat Bordhi Rio Calina Cowl Knit Along

I am guessing most of us were familiar with Cat Bordhi. For me - it is her sweet tomato sock heel. For you it may be a beautiful cowl or a hat pattern. We pray for her family and friends through this hard time as Cat has gone home to be an angel.

qfknit suggested maybe we could have a knit along for her cowl featured in her goodbye letter. I think that would be a great idea. You might take a moment to read her newsletter, and the Calina Cowl is available for free in this newsletter.

Cat and the Rio Calina Cowl

You may choose to participate with any of her patterns.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +7; YTD +7
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

I didn't know her before, but since seeing posts about her death, I have spent time looking at her website, patterns, and blog. I'm doing a lot right now, but I definitely want to participate in this KAL in honor of a woman I never knew in life, but who has touched me just the same in death,

~If I could attack with a more sensible approach, obviously that's what I'd be doing... Right?!~

Comment

Her letter was so beautiful and touched me especially deeply right now. I definitely need to knit the Rio Calina. I pray I can someday be as gracious in death as this sweet lady.
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
      "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -43 WTD -14
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 3

Comment

Thanks Char for setting up this Cat Bordhi memorial KAL.
        I have printed the pattern and am deliberating on my choice of yarn from my stash.

Comment

I'm also a huge fan of her sweet tomato heel and watched her on YT. I have a pair of socks OTN that are self striping and stopped at the heel thinking I should do an afterthought heel, but now I think I need to do my favorite sweet tomato heel and move forward with those. I would love to knit this cowl but I won't be starting it right away as I need to get some things organized first.

I pray for her loved ones and celebrate this great lady who is a role model for all of us.
          Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

I read the letter and printed off the pattern.

I am so sorry to hear of her passing. Praying for her family and others who knew and loved her.
            She sounds like such a sweet, loving person.

Her cowl is amazing. As is the concept behind it. Letting the 'river' run where it may and having fun with it as you go.
            Book Challenge 0/50
            2020 stash busting WTD. +2 YTD. ?

Comment

• qfknit
              qfknit commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, every piece will be unique!

I have cast on! Ribbing is done and I start the cables tomorrow. I may make several of these for Christmas gifts.

Comment

• FreedomLover
              FreedomLover commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't wait to hear how you like the process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200925_141150.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	75833 I went through my stash and chose my yarn. I hope my brain can let go and flow as she envisioned. I sure need more if that in my life right now.
            Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
            "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -43 WTD -14
            2021 50 New-to-me Books: 3

Comment

• FreedomLover
              FreedomLover commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not starting this yet but I know exactly what you mean.

I am trying to figure out the twist and fold for stitching the cabled piece together to form the cowl...
            can anyone help?

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	75836

Comment

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              If you take your paper, and roll it - kind of like a biscuit tube - put the right side around and on top of the left side.... does that work?

• hereami
              hereami commented
              Editing a comment
              the closest I could get to the picture is fold/Bring Top A corner down to touch the bottom A corner. (left top corner A touches bottom left corner A)

then take the right top (...above the right side B) bring it over to touch the now backside of original corner B.

this creates a cowl with two points in front.

qfknit - kind of like this? I don’t have paper to try it, do I tried yarn...

Name:	804933CF-CD02-4C5F-BF33-943F606E3908.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	75842
            Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +7; YTD +7
            Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

I never think that far ahead. I believe you just match up the A's together and the B's together and it sorts itself.

It is a very easy project.

Comment

Hellokitten - I thought this part would be easy, and wondered why Cat Bordhi suggested working it out with 10" x 2" strip of paper. Then I gave it a try, and find that I have one right side (cables) and one wrong side showing.

Char and hereami - thank you for the suggestions. LOL, I "used to" enjoy origami, and thought I would ace this! But I am stumped. May we call the points A&B on the upper left a different name than the points A&B on the lower right, to distinguish them? Reading left-to-right, I would call the points on the upper left A1 & B1, and the points on the lower right A2 & B2.

These two photos show what I get when I follow the diagrams and instructions:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Cat Bordhi pattern dilemma - photo 2 .JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	75863Click image for larger version  Name:	Cat Bordhi pattern dilemma - photo 3 .JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	75864

Comment

• Hellokitten
                  Hellokitten commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Glad you worked it out. Any progress pictures for us?

• Char
                  Char commented
                  Editing a comment
                  qfknit - so it is like a biscuit tube?

• qfknit
                  qfknit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Char - yes, I like how you describe it as a biscuit tube! It is exactly like that, and then the top drapes over. Knitted fabric will drape better than paper.

I tend to be a pattern pre-reader.
                  When I looked at the photos, I initially thought:
                  - the prettier cables were placed on the draped-over top , displayed prominently.
                  - the less artful random cross-overs were placed underneath... I thought maybe those were created when just starting out on the project, as a person is experimenting and beginning to get a feel for the flow... or maybe those were created toward the end, when one might be knitting on auto-pilot while their mind is filled with thoughts of the next project. (I do that... LOL, multitasking.)

Actually, the "prettier" cables on the draped top is the "fierce" deeply textured cabled side, reminiscent of rafting down river rapids... the cables showing underneath are NOT less artful, they are the "tranquil" side, flatter cables reminiscent of still waters.

Two interesting textures. Truly a delight to watch this grow on my needles.

I'm going to restart. There are several problems I'm wanting to correct.

I'm playing yarn chicken. Are you all finding you need the full 360 yards?

My yarn seems too thick. I'm going to go up a needle size and reduce the cast on by four stitches.
                If ! don't like that I will go with a sport weight yarn.

I want more than 1/2" ribbing before I start cabling.

Comment

• qfknit
                  qfknit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I knitted about 6 or 7 rows before beginning cable cross-overs. For my first cable cross-over row, I worked in a steady rhythm across the row: repeating matched pairs of cable-left and cable-right. I thought this symmetry would make a pleasant transition from the ribbing on the previous rows, to the asymmetry of random cable cross-overs on subsequent rows. So far, so good.

How is everyone doing on this cowl?
                I am thinking of starting it this week. My first thought is I am going to have trouble not knowing where to put my cabling. Letting my work flow along seems scary to me.
                Lol...Yes I do move the river rocks to create pools and predictability when I visit my streams and rivers. Lol.
                Are you finding it easy to relax and just knit?
                Book Challenge 0/50
                2020 stash busting WTD. +2 YTD. ?

Comment

• crosstitchlinda
                  crosstitchlinda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the past when I've had to do "random" things in knitting I have gotten out some dice and let chance tell me when to do the changes. I'm not doing this cowl, I did do her Moebius cowl a month ago.

• qfknit
                  qfknit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hereami crosstitchlinda - I'm finding the randomization of the cable cross-overs to be extremely good fun, and interesting. There are simply no "wrong" ways to place your cables on this piece! So yes, it is relaxing. I will measure my progress-to-date and post a photo later.

I am creating my cowl in soft, comfy, itch-free acrylic: Hobby Lobby's worsted weight "I Love This Yarn" - Stonewash - in color 06 Teal.

One skein is 252 yards, and provided for the first 26 inches of knitting.
                That's about 9.69 yards for each inch of knitted cowl.
                To knit the recommended length of about 34" for this cowl will take about 329.5 yards.
                I'm using a #11 needle (8mm).

To provide rather uniform width, I slipped the end stitch and created an edging of 4 stitches in 1x1 ribbing.
                This accounts for 8 stitches total, of the 64 cast on.
                I have 14 groups of (p1, K2, p1) to use for my cables (56 stitches).

LOL, in the first photo, you can see my tiny bamboo circular needle peeking out... I'm using it as a cable needle, and insert it into the project between uses.

Progress photos:

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
                X