Wrap and Turn holes...but only on the knit side??

Okay, I’m really hoping someone can help me figure this out because I actively avoid W&T because of this problem, but I’m sure I can’t avoid them forever. Every time I do W&Ts I end up with a hole at the site of the W&T, but only when the W&T is on the knit side, when they’re on the purl side there is no hole. Both pictures are of the same pattern using the same needles and the same yarn, the only difference is that the W&T is done on the knit side in the first picture and on the purl side in the second. I’m holding my finger directly behind the W&T in both pictures so you can see where the hole is on the knit and that there is no hole on the purl. I’ve tried everything I can think of to fix the problem, I’ve done both the W&T and the surrounding stitches tighter and looser, and I’ve twisted the stitches directly before and after the W&T, but I just can’t think of anything else to try. Can any of you help me figure this out? This pattern is a small stuffed dove on size 2 needles, so it’s a very small hole in this instance and it doesn’t really matter, but I have the same problem when I’ve tried to make socks with W&T, and let me tell you, that hole is very noticeable when you’re walking on a row of them along a turned heel!

WT Knit Side.jpg

WT Purl Side.jpg

You mentioned knitting the wrap with the turn. Maybe this video will inspire you to try that:

https://youtu.be/k47M1gjMZ9E
:relaxed:

Yay! Knitting the wrap with the stitch closed the hole! I am still not a fan of W&T and will probably continue to avoid them for socks, but I am now confident that if I do have to use them for something (like more of my doves) I will at least be able to do it with no holes! Thank you so much @Amore and thank you @Woolfan for the video!

No Hole WandT.jpg

I look forward to seeing the :dove:!!

I always substitute a no wrap no gap method whenever I have instructions for the W&T method. I could never figure out how to rectify the issue and I didn’t find the struggle worth it.

Is there a reason you must use the method? Just curious. :slight_smile:

Don’t know if this will help, and it’s probably obvious to the experienced knitters, but I’ve always turned first and then wrapped. The next full knit row I incorporate the wrap with the stitch it’s wrapped around, working it as similar to a k2tog. No discernible holes in my experience.

@Amore I’ve tried turning then wrapping and that didn’t help, but I haven’t tried knitting the wrap with the stitch. I will try that and see if it helps. Thanks!

@Char I always substitute a no-wrap method when I’m doing socks, regardless of what the pattern says to use! I can’t figure out how to do it without the W&T for the doves because it uses short rows to shape the breast and head of the dove. It just doesn’t seem at all similar to turning the heel in socks, so I can’t figure out how to shape the head and breast without the W&T. I first made the doves as part of a group that sent Christmas ornaments to the White House back in 2019, then I made them for my entire family and friends that year. I have a friend who I haven’t seen since 2013, and I decided to make her one now since I will be seeing her again next month and I know she would love it. I hadn’t tried socks when I made the original doves back in 2019, and now that I have I am much more aware of the holes and would really like to eliminate them if I can figure out how!

That’s wonderful, and it looks great!:+1:t2::relaxed:

Just because it drives me absolutely nuts to never see the end result of questions people answer, here is the completed dove. The third picture shows the section where the knit-side W&Ts are, directly under the front corner of the wing. They hang from the loop that is attached in the center of the back, but it was extremely difficult to get a picture of it hanging because it kept swaying, so the pictures all came out blurry. :grimacing: Thank you all so much for your help! I have four more of these I need to get done in the next couple of months and I am SO happy that these will not have holes in them like the ones I made a few years ago all did!
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:106773}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:106774}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:106775}[/ATTACH]

Beautiful! :clap:t2: Love the textures that the different stitches give as well. Well done! :partying_face:

beautiful dove :slight_smile: good job on stickling it out and figuring it out :slight_smile: