728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Sl1 - Knitwise or Purlwise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sl1 - Knitwise or Purlwise

My understanding (which could be entirely incorrect) is that Slip 1 (Sl1) means slip the next stitch on the left needle to the right needle knitwise unless noted. I did some lace rows on a shawl that way and it came out great.

Then, I was looking at some instructions where they had a knitting abbreviation key that defined Sl1 as slip purlwise unless noted.

What is the proper way to Sl1 if not noted in the pattern?
    ๐Ÿค“
    Currently Reading: Blood Bound ๐Ÿ“–
    Join us at WIZARDING SCHOOL ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Blog: A Knit Hope โ˜•

I thought it was slip it purlwise. Moving it purlwise does not change the stitch's orientation, knitwise twists it.
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with lovestostitch - if it doesnโ€™t specify, it would be a slip as if to purl.

I've always understood that you were supposed to slip stitched purlwise unless otherwise noted. Like lovestostitch said, slipping knitwise twists the stitch, and slipping purlwise doesn't.
    Cezanne Black Pellett on Facebook and MeWe

Oh SNAP โœจ we're DUELLING ๐Ÿคบand more at Fiberkind Wizarding School! ๐Ÿ”ฎ

Or try out the lvermorny Campus

Comment

This is my experience with patterns.
      If you are making a ssk decrease (like in most lace patterns ) the stitch is slipped knitwise.
      If it is only a slip stitch and not part of a decrease, then you should slip it purlwise with yarn in back. unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Thank you everyone! I have been doing it wrong but at least my lace portion came out nice anyway. Hey, maybe I made up a new lace - highly doubtful but a girl could wish! ๐Ÿคญ
        ๐Ÿค“
        Currently Reading: Blood Bound ๐Ÿ“–
        Join us at WIZARDING SCHOOL ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
        Blog: A Knit Hope โ˜•

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
        X