Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Preparing for my first cardigan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing for my first cardigan

Although I have been knitting for nearly 7 years, I have yet to make a cardigan sweater. I have knitted Hitofude twice, but that is a different animal. The pattern I've chosen is Coal Creek Trail by Amanda Woeger and I found yarn for this pattern at MDSW back in May. Reading through the pattern a few times, I am concerned there may be something I am missing and I am sure customizing the length is a bit more involved than just using the numbers for a smaller size. Has anyone experience with this pattern or able to offer any suggestions when working on a top-down sweater with the collar worked around the neck and down into the front edges?
    An elegant yet comfortable top-down cardigan that may be worn open or closed with a shawl pin. The name, Coal Creek Trail, was inspired by the color of the yarn (Plomo by Malabrigo Yarn) as well as the leafy lace pattern along the collar. I can easily imagine wrapping myself up in this cozy cardigan on a cool spring stroll along Coal Creek Trail.You begin with the provisional cast on at the center back of the collar. Then you will work the collar in two sections to back shoulder width. After, you will pick up stitches for the fronts, sleeves, and back sections along a vertical edge of the collar. Continuing down, you will work the yoke and lace simultaneously. The sleeves are worked as “simultaneous set-in sleeves” as described by Barbara Walker.This pattern includes instructions for optional front pockets, which are large enough to hold your cell phone. This pattern has been written so that it can be easily modified to fit your individual preferences for both length and width.
    Last edited by Cablegrrl; 08-03-2019, 04:25 AM.

I don't have the pattern, but one of the great things about top-down is that you can (usually) customize lengths very easily. That means if you're playing yarn chicken, you can stop early on the sleeves so that the body is a good length, for example. The only hiccup I can see on your pattern (love the silhouette, and I want to do a similar one myself with a couple of fade yarn packs I bought) is the positioning of the pockets. It looks like they're knitted in, rather than being added after the fact. That means you need to be REALLY sure about where to start them. You could use any other garment (even non-hand-knit ones) with similar pockets to help you decide where the top of the pocket should start.

Or, if the pattern gives you the option, you could ignore the knitted-in pockets' instructions and simply work the rest of the body the same way you did before the pocket starting point, then do either patch pockets or afterthought pockets once you've completed the garment. Those options will of course give a different look, but they would also allow you to work the body to the desired length from underarm without any hassle. You just need to weigh your options.

ETA a ping to lsmrcd

ETA2: Are the sleeves done seamlessly from the top down at the same time as the front/back? Or are they done separately? The pics on the pattern page seem to show both, based on the way the yarn's colors change or not at the sleeve/body junctions.
    Last edited by ilexedits; 07-29-2019, 12:41 PM.
    Download for free my comprehensive, twelve-hundred-page (!) book, Stitch by Bloody Stitch: Knitting Charts Explained, at my website, http://hollybriscoe.com/first-edition-announced/

Comment

• lsmrcd
      lsmrcd commented
      Editing a comment
      The sleeves are worked seamlessly from the top down and then held on waste yarn while the body of the sweater is completed, followed by picking up stitches and then knitting in the round. I'm not worried about adjusting the length of the sleeves since that is pretty straight forward. The body... that is a different story. And thanks for the suggestion because I have just the garment to use for test measuring!!

lsmrcd I knit New Old Town and am working on Lady Sunnyside, both are top down and start with a provisional cast on for the collar and they have been easy to customize length. One area to pay attention to is arm hole depth (especially if your row gauge is off). One thing I see that might cause a problem with customizing the length of your sweater is making sure that both the lace and cable patterns end at a logical/pleasing place.

https://www.sundayknits.com/new-old-town.html

https://www.tanisfiberarts.com/products/lady-sunnyside
    Last edited by VivianPearl; 07-29-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

It looks like you would lengthen or shorten the body by adding or eliminating a repeat or two of the lace pattern (the double leaves). When you start knitting it, you can gauge your finished length by how long the lace repeats come out. Then figure out how many more or less you need to get to your desired length. I'm assuming the pockets are added last... but however they are added, you need to plan to make them higher or lower, according to your new finished length. But you don't have to figure that out up front. Just start knitting and you'll be able to measure the lace patterns and make a decision about the final length and pocket height. In other words, wait to see how your row gauge comes out.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Gorgeous sweater!!

Comment

That is a lovely cardigan. I just added it to my queue. Like I needed to add another project to my queue!🐇

Comment

Update: One month later and I have made a gauge swatch. Now to do the counting and the math to get started, but in the meantime, I will finish a hat started today to add to my Christmas
            gift pile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5bLBvByEm8XbfkyC14s_hfB7VKFlV_zzFd1gDfiu3wJ2BV6QN8tSUw0IXW08TsXgoweYIW5X_fjiMCSZjBhXrtY_lOCxXYR5fT4PvyLA7vdfxv-P9Fiu6a7RO4GUphltC1_D87MMeV6mVTfUpUeQZXpVjm8Vdii0z4IBLtN1VId9faXH2jtVU5lsZcX4Pa38YgUFplCfClG3szGt1mq90hujmIRio2f3Y3Y5G1tKcnw7XBYgITT_VQtc3LIIarA
Views:	56
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	23808

Comment

• ochillia
              ochillia commented
              Editing a comment
              Ooooh! I like the yarn. It looks moody and cozy. Which yarn is this?

• lsmrcd
              lsmrcd commented
              Editing a comment
              I found this yarn on a recent yarn crawl. It is a hand-dyed yarn by Cables in Chroma, DK Squish 100% super-wash Merino, in colorway Truth Hurts. I made matching hats for my granddaughters.
          Working...
          X