Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Is there a substitute for a bobble?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a substitute for a bobble?

I'm working on this Drops pattern (it's free) and the bobble instructions say to knit & yo into one stitch to make seven stitches on the RS, then to P 7 together on the WS. This isn't really a bobble in my mind, nor is it fun to P7 together. Any thoughts? I'm not a fan of bobbles but I like the idea of making a stitch that stands out.

For some reason I can't link to a pattern and keep the preview thumbnail. The pattern is Adagio.
    Last edited by FreedomLover; 10-01-2019, 05:15 PM.
    In a world where you can be anything, be kind.

US Gardening Zone 8B

Admin, is there a reason preview thumbnails have been disabled?

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      Was it previously when you posted a link it would pull the preview and put it in your post? I'm not seeing any errors but it has to be something I disabled when I was locking things down, I'll take a peak at how I can re-enable it.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Previously I would add the link and the preview thumbnail would "magically" appear. It was so easy even I could do it.

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it, I'll take a look tonight and see if I can get it re-enabled. I turned off a lot of stuff to get things secured so now it's a matter of carefully walking some things back.

FreedomLover - There are also 5-stitch bobbles. And nupps. Similar, but smaller, more delicate.
    Lots of videos and online tutorials... I could not pick one...

Comment

FreedomLover This does sound more like a nupp to me. I tend to prefer nupps because my bobbles always look kind of sad and I end up with holes.

Comment

FreedomLover , I've seen people substitute everything from good old stockinette (eta: i.e., just change it to K1 on the RS and P1 on the WS) to nupps to a yo/k2tog to a bead for a bobble or berry-type stitch (which is typically K2tog/P2tog on the same two stitches or K3tog/Kk3togtbl/K3tog on the same three stitches, or similar). Play around and pick what you like!
      Download for free my comprehensive, twelve-hundred-page (!) book, Stitch by Bloody Stitch: Knitting Charts Explained, at my website, http://hollybriscoe.com/first-edition-announced/

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Beads! That's something I hadn't thought of.

FreedomLover There are easier ways to work a nupp than purling all of those stitches together with your knitting needles. Some people prefer to use a crochet hook to work that stitch. I have a friend who uses a curved dental tool. You can also work it by inserting your needle and pulling one stitch over and off at a time.

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are all good suggestions, thanks!

I've been meaning to update, I went with beads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191004_124936.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	30780

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        ilexedits Thank you! I'm kissing the air three inches away from each of your cheeks. ;p
        dekpass Thank you! I'm very happy with the beading.

• WeeBizzom
        WeeBizzom commented
        Editing a comment
        That is lovely. I had a look at the pattern and I prefer your version, with the beads.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, I do too, it was ilexedits idea.
    Working...
    X