Girl's Leg Warmers

Hi all- Just looking for a bit of direction. My niece was home for Thanksgiving and wanted me to knit her some leg warmers. Has anybody done them? I’m an advanced beginner or intermediate knitter. I haven’t done much with DPN. I could probably handle it though. Any suggestions or tips, pattern ideas? Thanks!

I have not made them myself, but from what I can see from online patterns, they are just a tube of fabric, either straight or wider at the top and narrower at the ankle, depending on how shapely the wearer’s legs are. You could make them like the legs of socks, either top-down or bottom-up, and have a cuff/ribbed section at the top and bottom to keep them in place. If they are straight, just work to the length you need. If they are shaped, work out how many rows you will need (not counting the cuffs) and space the increases or decreases evenly over that number of rows. I did a search for patterns online and got too many answers to list separately, so here is the link:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pattern+for+knitted+leg+warmers&t=ffnt&ia=web

If you don’t care much for dpns you might try two circulars or the magic loop method. I use two circulars and love this method.

Depending on the size you need to make, you may be able to knit the on a 16 in. circular needle. Leg warmers usually are not as fitted as a sock would be and many will have a circumference of 16 inches or greater. I looked online and found a chart with sizes from XXS - XL and it looks like the range of circumference is (approximately) between 12 and 18 inches. I like DPNs, but if you prefer to use a circular and you have too small of circumference for 16 in. circs, you can use a long circular and magic loop or even use the 2 circulars method. Traveling (single) loop may also be an option, but I tend to prefer that with things that are a bit larger.

@chrisz - leg warmers would be the same as knitting a long sock cuff and putting ribbing on both ends. You could use any sock pattern if you see a design you like. You would need to do the math just like you would for figuring out a sock size. Measure your niece’s leg. Let’s say her leg measures 20". Now you need to know your gauge with the yarn you want to use. Let’s say you get 5 stitches per inch. You would multiply the 20 x 5. This is 100. That means you would cast on 100 stitches. Usually, for socks you deduct 10% to make them a bit snug but you wouldn’t want that with a leg warmer. You can choose any design pattern that has a stitch pattern repeat that works with your leg number. If you need help figuring this out, provide some more information about your niece’s measurements and patterns that appeal to you. I’m happy to help you.

I do all my circular knitting with Magic Loop and highly recommend it. I find it much less fiddly than using two circulars.

I just made these for DGD who started gymnastics this year. They’re just 2 by 2 ribbing at the top and bottom and stockinette in between.

20191120_130527.jpg

Yes, that is the sort of thing I had in mind :slight_smile:

I know a lot of people don’t wear them, but for ice skaters, gymnasts, cheerleaders and the like they are wonderful.

You all are awesome. Many thanks for the searches, tips, and words of wisdom! @FreedomLover yes your pic is exactly what I had in mind. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks again!! :wink:

I started with something quick and easy to see if she likes them, if so I’ll make her more and probably add pattern.

I’ve found that a straight tube in a wide rib pattern (eg: 2 or 3 knit, 2 purl) works well as an all over pattern. It allows the legwarmers to stretch where needed, and won’t snug too tightly elsewhere. They can be scrunched down the leg, and stay in place very well, too. I’ll try to find a pic.

This photo is from Knitpicks website.

The link is here:
https://www.knitpicks.com/chunky-legwarmers/g/55714220

images.jpeg.jpg

@AuntyM This is perfect, thank you!! Now with the holidays coming fast I just need to find the time;)

Glad you liked the pattern. :slight_smile: