Cardigan issue

Hello I would like to make this cardigan but it asked for worsted yarn. The yarn I want to use is dk weight. I read you can use larger needles so you don’t have to change the pattern? Had any one done this? The picture attached has the one with size 8 on left and size 6 on right I do like the fabric on right but not sure about altering the pattern to get the fabric on the right. Plz help!

f1728125bfc3ce696593670c97b3873cjpg.jpg

Oh yarn is wool pattern is tincan knits harvest. Would making one size larger make sense?!

Here is a link to the HARVEST cardigan pattern webpage, on the designer’s website:
http://www.tincanknits.com/pattern-SC-harvest.html

Reading the pattern webpage, clicking on the pattern image, clicking on gauge provides lots of info:

• The pattern provides directions for 7 children’s sizes and 12 adult sizes.
  • Two photos are shown:
    • a woman wearing Harvest cardi (2 inches negative ease, it stretches to fit)
    • a child wearing Harvest cardi (2 inches positive ease, loose fit, with room to grow)
  • gauge: 18 sts and 26 rows / 4" in stockinette stitch using larger needles.
  • The pattern has the garter stitch borders knit with a smaller needle (6) and the main body knit with sz 8.

Now to look at your beautiful gauge swatches!

• You like the smaller stitches and tighter fabric on the right… have you measured the gauge of this swatch?
  • The pattern webpage provides a link to the designer’s information on gauge:
  • Please post your gauge, and we can discuss the math… and whether knitting a size up will work.
    :slight_smile:

It is 5stitches per inch

I made it the wrong count. It is between 5 and 5.5 per inch my I’m plus size so I was looking at the he one slightly bigger than my 49 inch waist I think the 1or 2x. Attached a pic of the 18 stiches it is about 3.5 wide.

IMG_20201020_031442.jpg

Hmmm… the target gauge given by the pattern, that you will want to compare to, is not just in stitches per inch, but in stitches per 4" and rows per 4".

If you follow the instructions in the pattern’s link for gauge, you can measure your stitches and rows per 4".

Here is info based on 5 stitches per inch:
Just winging it based on the information which you provided so far, you may have about 20 stitches per 4 inches, as compared with the pattern’s target of 18 stitches per 4". The difference is 2 stitches.

Math would suggest that for every 18 stitches in the pattern instructions, you will want to knit 2 more: 20.
In other words, for every 9 stitches in the pattern instructions, you will want to knit 1 more: 10.
(Calculate: Number of pattern stitches divided by 9 = x. x times 10 = new number of stitches.)
If the pattern calls for 27, you will want to knit 30.
If the pattern calls for 36, you will want to knit 40.
If the pattern calls for 45, you will want to knit 50.
If the pattern calls for 54, you will want to knit 60.
etc.

Will following the pattern instructions for a larger size work, to adjust for gauge in this circumstance?
If you look at the pattern’s directions for your correct size, then apply the math for the increased number of stitches due to your smaller/tighter gauge… then you can compare your calculated stitch counts to the next size(s) up and see whether following the pattern instructions for one of those other sizes will work.

Jinkies. I’ll have to do some notes. Wish my ink wasn’t dry lol. I’ll look at the other sizes I’m hoping one of them is similar. Yes it’s 20 stiches to the 4 inches.

Not to worry. I’ll do some more math, and guide you through it. :slight_smile:

In this photo, I see 5 stitches in the first measured inch, 5 stitches in the second measured inch, and 6 stitches in the third measured inch.

Info based on 5 stitches per inch was given in the prior post.

Here is info based on “between 5 and 5.5 per inch” (5.25 stitches per inch):
Just winging it based on 5.25 stitches per inch, you may have about 21 stitches per 4 inches, as compared with the pattern’s target of 18 stitches per 4". The difference is 3 stitches.

Math would suggest that for every 18 stitches in the pattern instructions, you will want to knit 3 more: 21.
(Calculate: Number of pattern stitches divided by 18 = x. x times 21 = new number of stitches.)
If the pattern calls for 36, you will want to knit 42.
If the pattern calls for 54, you will want to knit 63.
etc.

Here is info based on 5.5 stitches per inch:
Just winging it based on 5.5 stitches per inch, you may have about 22 stitches per 4 inches, as compared with the pattern’s target of 18 stitches per 4". The difference is 4 stitches.

Math would suggest that for every 18 stitches in the pattern instructions, you will want to knit 4 more: 22.
In other words, for every 9 stitches in the pattern instructions, you will want to knit 2 more: 11.
(Calculate: Number of pattern stitches divided by 9 = x. x times 11 = new number of stitches.)
If the pattern calls for 27, you will want to knit 33.
If the pattern calls for 36, you will want to knit 44.
If the pattern calls for 45, you will want to knit 55.
If the pattern calls for 54, you will want to knit 66.
etc.

Here is info based on 6 stitches per inch:
Just winging it based on 6 stitches per inch, you may have about 24 stitches per 4 inches, as compared with the pattern’s target of 18 stitches per 4". The difference is 6 stitches.

Math would suggest that for every 18 stitches in the pattern instructions, you will want to knit 6 more: 24.
In other words, for every 9 stitches in the pattern instructions, you will want to knit 3 more: 12.
(Calculate: Number of pattern stitches divided by 9 = x. x times 12 = new number of stitches. )
If the pattern calls for 27, you will want to knit 36.
If the pattern calls for 36, you will want to knit 48.
If the pattern calls for 45, you will want to knit 60.
If the pattern calls for 54, you will want to knit 72.
etc.

Will following the pattern instructions for a larger size work, to adjust for gauge in this circumstance?
If you look at the pattern’s directions for your correct size, then apply the math for the increased number of stitches due to your smaller/tighter gauge… then you can compare your calculated stitch counts to the next size(s) up and see whether following the pattern instructions for one of those other sizes will work.

Thank you so much. I will look at tomorrow on my computer when my brain is working lol. I appreciate the explanation I’m sure I can figure with this. I’ll let you know once I check the numbers n such!

Sounds great, @Lushcrix ! :slight_smile:
And you are welcome, my pleasure. :slight_smile:

@Lushcrix - remember, the pattern shows the woman wearing a Harvest cardi which is 2 inches smaller than her measurements (2 inches of negative ease). This indicates that the cardi can stretch a bit.

Meanwhile the child is wearing a Harvest cardi which is 2 inches larger than the child’s measurements (2 inches of positive ease).

The combination of these two photos and pattern notes indicates a 4-inch range of ease (from -2 inches to +2 inches). Therefore it appears this cardi offers a rather “forgiving” fit… in other words the fit need not be very exacting to the wearer’s measurements, and it will still look and feel great!

It’s coming along slowly. I did have to restart since I misunderstood some of the directions!

IMG_20201221_210813.jpg

Looks great!

Once I had to make a cardigan again because of that same mistake, it was a disaster and I resigned myself, I bought a cardigan on this page https://www.tinkuy.shop/long-cable-patterned-baby-alpaca-coat and I was guided by that model and it was much easier.

OMG it’s based off of bust not waist. Lol well I’m a seamstress at heart lol. So 52 Inches would be 3x since I am right air a bit more than the 52. Hmm :face_with_raised_eyebrow: next up it’s like 4 inches different. Oh boy