728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Sock help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sock help

So I am trying to make a sock out of my handspun, which is thick and thin but about 14 wraps per inch. Am using size 3 needles....this is too big for my leg. Would size 2 needles help or should I consider it a Christmas stocking for the dogs? Really enjoying using the yarn and doing this pattern. .....

Thanks!! Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_210917.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	79469

dapncat - if you don't want to be concerned with gauge and also with making a second matching sock of the same exact size, then considering your current project to be a Christmas stocking is a GREAT idea!

While there are many charts and blog posts discussing yarn weight, The Craft Yarn Council is considered the authority.
    1. How to Measure Wraps Per Inch (WPI) . . . Wraps Per Inch (WPI) by Yarn Weight
    Link - https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/sta...wraps-inch-wpi
    On this webpage, we see that 14 WPI can fall into several categories, ranging from #1-SuperFine, to #2-Fine, to #3-Light.

Seeking more information, we find that according to this KnitPicks blog post from 2012, 14 wraps per inch would be considered a DK weight (#3) yarn:
    As seen on the Craft Yarn Council's webpage of Standard Yarn Weight (linked earlier in this post),
    and also on the WEBS website, typical sock yarn is a subset of fingering weight (#1) yarns:
    WEBS - yarn categories - sock yarn - https://www.yarn.com/categories/sock-yarn

Your BEAUTIFUL handspun may be a bit thicker than typical sock yarn.
    Although some sock patterns are written for heavier yarn, even worsted weight (#4) yarn, most are for sock yarn (#1).
    Does your pattern indicate what weight of yarn it is written for?

Comment

I frequently knit socks with dk weight yarn and I use a much smaller needle. You want a nice firm fabric for socks. I would recommend a sz. 1.5 or 2, depending on if you are a tight or loose knitter.

The best way to solve your sizing problem is to measure your foot and to calculate how many stitches per inch (spi) you are knitting. Then you multiply your foot measurement x your spi and then deduct 10% for negative ease. That tells you how many stitches to cast on.
      Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

It is beautiful! One thing I have noticed with socks is the top is big, but it seems to fall into place after a while.

Is your handspun superwash? Would it be possible to shrink it to fit when you are done?
        Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD + 0; YTD +417
        Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

Thanks everyone!! So...it seems like it's really my choice (which it always has been, I just can't decide).

qfknit
          Funny thing--I found those resources too and used them to figure wpi/weight of my yarn. The pattern calls for sock yarn. LYS suggested using size 3 US needles.

lovestostitch I suppose I'm a tight to medium knitter--have loosened my grip over the years. If I figure out the number of stitches to cast on, then how do I figure the heel turn? (Sorry--as someone else here described themselves, I am a longterm lousy knitter) OR: do you have a pattern for DK weight socks you like?

Char It's not superwash! I could...carefully...shrink it...or have tiny felted Christmas stockings.. LOL🎄🎄

So my decisions....run to the LYS today at lunch to get size 2 needles? (a 45 minute drive ...I am in the middle of nowhere)
          Carry on and live with my initial decision to wing it and come what may?

Start over and get a sock pattern for DK weight...preferably 2 at a time, so I don't have to do second sock!

OR: anyone have a favorite shawl pattern that's not too lace crazy? I've done some beginner lace stuff.

Again--thank you all! I am consistently finding these forums welcoming and kind!

Comment

• dapncat
            dapncat commented
            Editing a comment
            @lovestostitch

Frog it is. Would you do the whole leg ribbed? Thanks for your patience

• lovestostitch
            lovestostitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Knowing that your ankle is smaller, I think ribbing is a safer bet.

I can't wait to see a picture of them on your feet! Do you know about the Sock KAL? We have a prize drawing every month. I'll post a link below since you can't post links in Comments.

• dapncat
            dapncat commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I saw that thread...I have been known to take a year to knit a pair of socks..

Or, you could just consider what you did was a gauge swatch, and start over with same needles if you like the fabric you are getting with them, just cast on fewer stitches????
          Spin de Fleece Total Time: 29 hrs Total Grams: 567 Total Yards: 861
          Stashbuster MAL WTD: (-20) YTD: (+5)

Comment

dapncat

Join us at the Sock KAL:
            https://fiberkind.com/forum/knitting...-kal-chat-fall
            Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

I'll just throw out here my favorite book for socks, Ann Budd's Get Started Knitting Socks. She gives formulas for 8 stitch per inch socks all the way down to 4 stitches per inch. I refer to this book even when doing other patterns if I need to adjust the stitch counts.
              Linda
              2021 Stasbusting week ending 7/3 WTD = +6 YTD = +102
              2020 Stash busted +160
              Book Challenge 103/150; 27 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
              The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• dapncat
                dapncat commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you! just checked it out and ordered.

• lovestostitch
                lovestostitch commented
                Editing a comment
                I love that book too.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
            X