Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Looking for suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for suggestions

I'm just about done with this shawl I'm making as it is written, but I'm not happy with the top of it. It's a bunch of shell motifs that taper to a single stitch at the top and are therefore "pointed" on the top and I really dislike it. Does anyone have any suggestions on something I might be able to add to make the top so it's more flat? I'm hoping this question even makes sense. I attached a picture of the top of the shawl so you can see what I mean. I haven't weaved in the ends for this set of motifs yet, but it doesn't really change anything when I do.
    Attached Files
    ~If I could attack with a more sensible approach, obviously that's what I'd be doing... Right?!~

Nyssareen Is there any way to make a half motif? Pick up stitches or whatever you do, but only work until the new work is level with the pointed top of the current motifs and then bind off.

Comment

I agree with VivianPearl , a half-finished motif would fill in the space. If you can't add more could you rip back half of the last pink/red ones until the edge is flat with the point of the gray?

Comment

I thought of that, but for each new motif you pick up stitches along the sides of 2 other motifs from point to point, so I'm not sure how well it would work. I'm not sure how well I'm explaining that, so I included a link to the pattern (it's free) so maybe it'll make more sense.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ostro_lrg.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	11972

(Mod edit to add picture. Special thanks to Berroco for allowing us to post their photos on Our Unraveled. )

Pattern Link
        The Ostro Shawl is knit in three shades of Berroco Fiora® using a modular construction. Each "shell" is knit individually, but the following shells are attached as you go, so there is minimal finishing.
        Last edited by Cablegrrl; 07-27-2019, 04:36 AM.
        ~If I could attack with a more sensible approach, obviously that's what I'd be doing... Right?!~

Comment

Nyssareen In that case, I think I'd tear back each of the last motifs until they are flush with the green ones. Then weave in the ends and maybe run a row of SC across the top to give it a more finished look and help hide the tails.

Comment

Nyssareen - I agree with everyone else that the answer is to finish it off with a half shell.
            Naperville, IL - Growing Zone 5

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll give that a shot. I don't really want to rip out anything, so I'm just going to add a row of half shells in the next color in the pattern. Wish me luck!

Comment

Nyssareen - I change my advice after looking at the Berroco website and seeing their photo. I think the answer is blocking if you knit it in wool. The sample has the shells blocked out really big and though they didn't show the edge, I can imagine that it will look like nice soft, big shells after blocking. I think they will look nice as an edge. If you knit it in acrylic, I think half shells may be your only option
                Naperville, IL - Growing Zone 5

Comment

lovestostitch I used acrylic, so I'll do the half shells and see how that works.

Comment

Additional question: since it is acrylic, will blocking it help with the "squished up" look it has? I've never made anything like this before, so I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X