LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Knitting Needle Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knitting Needle Conundrum

My knitting pattern calls for US 6 knitting needles. I wanted to add a little i-cord to the end and went to grab my DPNs in the same size but they don't have US sizes on them. I looked at the end of my straight needles and it says "4.25 mm" but I didn't have 4.25 mm DPNs. They are 4.0 mm. So I checked my circular needles and they say 4.0 mm which is strange because my straight and circular are made by the same company. Then, I searched for a needle chart and 4.25 mm aren't even listed. I know I'm getting old but they clearly say 4.25 mm. Any ideas as to why there is a discrepancy?
    I'm Laur but my droid name is K2-Togโœจ
    โ˜• Blog: A Knit Hope
    Join us at WIZARDING SCHOOL ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

I have found that the US size 6 really is two different mm sized. No idea why one company would make two different sizes of 6 though. My Loopy Ewe needle gauge lists both the 4.00 and 4.25 as a US 6
    Linda
    2021 Stasbusting week ending 6/19 WTD = +0 YTD = +86
    2020 Stash busted +160
    Book Challenge 91/100; 24 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
    The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

I've seen a US 6 listed as both a 4.25 mm and a 4 mm and even as a 4.5 mm on one chart that I just didn't trust at all! The weird thing is that you've got two different measurements for a 6 from the same company. I would just go by your gauge and not worry about the measurement on the needles. I knit very tightly so I almost always have to go up a needle size or two from the size recommended in the pattern to get the right gauge. If you get gauge with the 4.25 mm needles, use those. WIth an I-cord, it's not going to matter too much if you use the exact same size needles as you did for the rest of the pattern. When I make an I-cord as a drawstring or an accent, I usually go down a size or two from the size recommended on the yarn's label so it is a nice, tight weave and not too stretchy, but that's just me.
      Cezanne Black Pellett on Facebook, MeWe, and Wimkin

Oh SNAP โœจ we've got DUELLING ๐Ÿคบand SPEW at Fiberkind Wizarding School! ๐Ÿ”ฎ

Or try out the lvermorny FiberKind Campus

Comment

Thank you crosstitchlinda and Nyssareen as that explain a lot! ๐Ÿ™‚

I guess I'm not losing my mind after all! Good to know! ๐Ÿ™ƒ
        I'm Laur but my droid name is K2-Togโœจ
        โ˜• Blog: A Knit Hope
        Join us at WIZARDING SCHOOL ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse