Free Pattern: Americana Keyhole Scarf

Photo 1 of 5:
Americana Keyhole Scarf in Red Heart Super Saver yarn, colorway “AMERICANA” E300 3943

All images in this post are my own.

This free scarf pattern is really just my set of design and construction notes, which I have shared elsewhere on the internet. After receiving a compliment on my avatar (this scarf) from a fellow forum member here, I decided to update my notes and share again, in this space.

Cozy, practical, classic keyhole scarves and knitting patterns for them have been around for decades. Many free knitting patterns for keyhole scarves are available online. That said, enough people have asked me how I create my American Flag scarves, or Stars and Stripes scarves, or patriotic scarves that I have jotted my notes down to share. This project is at a beginner’s level, both in using basic skills and in being a shorter scarf (therefore requiring less knitting).

This reversible scarf with one keyhole is knit flat in various sizes using Red Heart Super Saver “Americana” self-striping yarn (5 ounce skein, 236 yards), which lends the scarf its name. One skein is enough to complete a scarf!

This scarf is knit beginning at the bottom edge of the first tail, working up to the keyhole, making the keyhole, then progressing around the neck, knitting the tuck (or optional second keyhole), and then finishing with the second tail.

• Each hand knit scarf will be unique.
  • Gauge is not crucial
What you'll need to complete this project:
  • 1 skein of Red Heart Super Saver “[B]Americana[/B]” yarn (or 1 skein each: Red, White, Blue yarn of your choice)
  • 1 set of knitting needles, US size 8 (5 mm) or size you are comfortable with for number “4” worsted weight yarn
  • 1 stitch holder or small circular needle, for dividing alternating stitches for keyhole
  • 1 small scissors
  • 1 tapestry needle or crochet hook, to weave in ends
  • About 10 hours of time (will vary depending upon knitting skills, experience, speed, and size of scarf)
Photo 2 of 5: Americana Keyhole Scarf in 1x1 ribbing, with main color Coraline (Hobby Lobby "I Love This Yarn" - Stone wash 03)

Photo 3 of 5:
Americana Keyhole Scarf with 4-stitch reversible cable edges, main color Coraline (Hobby Lobby “I Love This Yarn” - Stone wash 03)

Photo 4 of 5:
Americana Keyhole Scarf with centered 8-stitch reversible cable, main color Coraline (Hobby Lobby “I Love This Yarn” - Stone wash 03)

Photo 5 of 5:
Americana Keyhole Scarf in 2x2 ribbing, with main color Coraline (Hobby Lobby “I Love This Yarn” - Stone wash 03)

:slight_smile:

1. This pattern is also posted in the Group “Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns,” in the Topic called Knitting Patterns - - Free Forever.
  2. Readers of this post may also be interested in the related design:
    Americana Keyhole Scarf, Bunting Style.

Americana Keyhole Scarf knitting pattern - our unraveled.pdf (539 KB)

3hel8nz6s7a5.jpg

99hnulo1wxo3.jpg

y876sxiizswe.jpg

8ysmbptuzb4y.jpg

m0hdsx0ric35.jpg

Thank you, @qfknit!

Glad you like the pattern, @DebbiRYarn!
The Americana Keyhole Scarves are fun to knit and to wear.
I hope that knitters will post photos of their Americana Keyhole Scarves!

@qfknit can you get more than one scarf out of a skein? Just curious. I think I need to make a few. :cool:

@Char, great question… When purchasing yarn, I usually plan 1 skein per scarf.
That said, I find I can get one large scarf or two smaller scarves from a skein.
This can depend upon how the stars and stripes occur on the skein.

I’ve noticed that some people like to wear their scarf more open, looser, like a deep V-neck… more of a fashion accessory.
And some people like to wear their scarf snugged up cozily around their neck for warmth.

Some people want long tails and may sometimes wear their scarf without tucking the tail through the keyhole.
And some parents want short tails for a safer scarf for children… one meant to stay tucked and be more like a cowl: less likely to get caught on things.

Some people wear their scarf adjusted so the tails are the same length as each other, matching, symmetrical.
And some people purposely adjust their scarf to be asymmetrical, with different lengths of tails.

In general, a larger scarf would fit most adults… from a medium adult who would wear their scarf looser, to a L, XL, XXL adult:
casting on 28, 32, or 36 stitches,
knitting longer tails (about 10-12 inches from the cast on edge to the bottom of the keyhole),
a keyhole of about 4 inches,
a length of about 18-24 inches around the neck,
a length of about 4 inches to tuck through the keyhole,
and a tail to match the length of the first tail…
about 46-56 inches total.

In general, a smaller scarf would be a great fit for a child, a slender/petite person:
casting on 24, 26, or 28 stitches,
knitting shorter tails (about 5-8 inches from the cast on edge to the bottom of the keyhole),
a keyhole of about 3 inches,
a length of about 12-15 inches around the neck,
a length of about 3 inches to tuck through the keyhole,
and a tail to match the length of the first tail…
about 28-37 inches total.

This may not work for all gift-giving situations… but…
I have made so many of these scarves, that I usually try to have a few “extra” and let the recipient choose their scarf.

@qfknit thank you for the input! :cool:

I’m planning to knit this for election day and proudly wear this and my Trump hat to the voter’s booth. I vote, even in the smaller elections. It’s my right as a Citizen. Thank You!!

@joy1203 Thank you for the compliment. I’m glad you like the Americana Keyhole Scarf. The Americana Keyhole Scarf can be worn to the voter’s booth.

However a hat (or scarf or T-shirt or political button, etc) with a candidate or party name, photo, logo, slogan, etc may be illegal to display at the polls or within a specified number of feet from the entrance to the polling place, on election day, in your area. Check your State and Local laws! Wikipedia describes such display as “passive electioneering” and it is illegal in several States.

good to know! Guess it will go with me and then stay in the car…but I’ll be wearing my american scarf!!

I’ll be wearing mine, too!

Me too! Local elections here in November. I’d better get to knitting mine.

Love this scarf!! Would you happen to have patriotic shawl pattern?

@fiberlover - Thank you for the compliment on the scarf.
Unfortunately I have not made a patriotic shawl pattern. However I have seen several, including Elizabeth Ravenwood’s “Summer Games Shawl” which is described as being made for the 2016 Olympics. A quick glance at it may help inspire thoughts of knitting any favorite shawl pattern in Red-White-and-Blue. :slight_smile:

@fiberlover - I have just updated the pattern post: At the bottom of the post I have included a link to the related pattern - Americana Keyhole Scarf, BUNTING STYLE.

One young bride wore a longer version of this, in sparkly white with the flag bunting edges, as a wrap for her summer wedding, when she needed a little something to keep the chill off of her shoulders from the air conditioning.

Thank you!! I love your bunting design too, that looks like a lot of fun. Love the Elizabeth Ravenwoods Summer Games shawl but looks like it’s only available in Ravelry and I don’t have a ravelry account. But you’re right looking at shawls with the thought of using red white and blue. Good idea!

@DebbiRYarn @Joylinnknits @fiberlover - We are starting a Knit-Along for this scarf … want to join?
Link here: https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/knitting/knit-a-longs/18221-americana-keyhole-scarf-kal#post18221

@cbw @Nancyann @kern @nbagnall @Eileen @rkennell @Amore @shrikewoman @PhillipaCrawford @Yarnbarf @BoruUnleashed @lorrie -
We are starting a Knit-Along for this scarf … want to join?
Link here: [URL=“https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/knitting/knit-a-longs/18221-americana-keyhole-scarf-kal#post18221”]https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/kn…-kal#post18221

@Loveknityarn - Earlier this week, we started a Knit-Along for this scarf … want to join?
Link here: [URL=“https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/knitting/knit-a-longs/18221-americana-keyhole-scarf-kal#post18221”]https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/kn…-kal#post18221