Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Designers with Patterns only on “R”

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designers with Patterns only on “R”

as I have downsizes my foot print on “R” some designers are only using that site. I have contacted a number of designer and asked for other places where they sell their patterns with no problem. Just recently I signed up for a class and the only place the designer sells her patterns is through “r”what are you doing for this type of situation? I really want none of my money going to this site.

Patty

Last week I was looking for particular yarn and found one that would work for me but they are dealing with THAT site too so I didn't buy it. I sent them email about how I feel and got reply saying that they are in business for years and it is to make customers happy blah, blah. Came across couple other ones like that too. I understand they need to make living but I will not support them. Maybe the smart ones remove the "R" from their websites.

Comment

I have no problem finding lots of items I want to make from designers who have their own websites such as
      https://mariegreene.thinkific.com/
      https://www.sundayknits.com/

I still have oodles of patterns from magazines and books I've never got around to making so now is a good time!

Comment

Patty, could you contact the instructor prior to the class and ask to buy a copy of the pattern directly from her the day of?

Comment

I am making a clean break, even if it is difficult. There are other designers, classes, patterns, etc, out there - it is a great, big world and there are alternatives. Come onto sites like this one and ask for recommendations, do your own online searches, check out your local library, etc.

It is still early days, and businesses are, naturally, a bit wary of throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but if they are still there in, say, a few weeks’ time, well, they have chosen their side and I have chosen mine.

Comment

• FreedomLover
            FreedomLover commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto on going to the local library! It's so relaxing to curl up with books and enjoy looking at all the patterns. Also, check out thrift stores, I've gotten some great knitting books there.

• WeeBizzom
            WeeBizzom commented
            Editing a comment
            FreedomLover Yes, you can't curl up with a good computer!

I am taking a class at a yarn-store. I was struck by the the pattern and signed up for the class. I contacted the designer to see if she sold the pattern elsewhere but she does not. I have asked if she will sell the pattern directly to me and am waiting on an answer. The designer is not teaching the class, (let me check on that) I think I might just ask for a refund for the class. Expensive yarn ($80 in yarn)

Patty

Comment

Sunday Knits has beautiful patterns! Thx for sharing that.
            I spoke with a designer last week who only sells her patterns on Rav and she was unaware that registration has been closed for a week. Perhaps that will speak to her pocketbook.

Comment

I'd cancel the class and tell the store why. They should have a copy of the patterns to use... If not I won't go.
              There was a yarn company I love, any they had a gorgeous free (1d only) pattern I wanted. When I found it was 'there' only and they deeply support... I unfollowed any won't buy or deal with them.
              I don't think any little pattern or single yarn is worth my moral compass. I won't miss it in the long run.

Comment

• sherryglover1
                sherryglover1 commented
                Editing a comment
                I unfollowed two of my very favorite yarn companies because they support "r". It broke my heart....

HI all...Have a question. If you found a pattern that you liked thru a site other than R and the designer also sold that pattern on R, would you still buy the pattern from the non R site? Hope that makes sense
              Also, did anyone ever use Patternfish? I can't believe they closed their business and no one bought it...there were literally thousands of patterns there. Seems like a lost opportunity to me!
              Happy trails, Diana

Comment

• sherryglover1
                sherryglover1 commented
                Editing a comment
                I also have this dilemma as I love LilyGo patterns. She directed me to her Etsy account. Now to make the decision if I will purchase the pattern. I am likely to as long as 'r' doesn't profit from it, and she doesn't make a statement of support. I believe everyone has the right to their beliefs as long as they don't shove them down my throat. This is where 'r' made their mistake.

• shrikewoman
                shrikewoman commented
                Editing a comment
                For me it would depend on what the designer said about the ban. If they are still on the site, but either didn't say anything or said something neutral I'd probably consider it, but if they were loudly for the ban and perpetuated the horrible things said about Trump supporters I couldn't do it. There is the hypothetical middle ground where they said they were for the ban but said it "nicely", but the ban itself isn't nice. This is hard for me, because I don't like saying no to people because they disagree with you, so long as you can either "agree to disagree" or be willing to calmly hear each other out. But this ban is removing the ability to hear each other out in a community, so having someone both support it and be willing to hear why you don't doesn't make sense. But who said human beings had to be logical? And there is a lot of peer pressure too. As a rule I'd say no, but I'm not going to judge anyone for using/buying a pro-ravelry pattern unless the maker is literally calling for bloodshed.

• ochillia
                ochillia commented
                Editing a comment
                The reason I left R and will not support it is the bullying that went along with the ban and is being permitted and encouraged by R leadership. If I am aware that the designer is participating in bullying and speaking hate, I won't support that either. I am focusing my support on designers who refuse to participate in the tar and feather party, who stand against hate of all kinds, and especially on those strong enough to openly oppose hate in a loving way...whether they also offer patterns on R or not.

As a designer who's got almost 150 patterns on R I can feel your pain. Well, no my pains different as I need to house them someplace and I shudder to think of how much time it would take to place them on another server. So our alternative is (we run MKAL's) to sell the pattern directly to the customer and e-mail a group of people come KAL time. I'm already loading the pattern, it's no skin off my nose to e-mail a group from my puter. I do lose track of people like that but hopefully they can find me via social media and our newsletters.

Comment

• ReneCall
                ReneCall commented
                Editing a comment
                I am hoping that more designers will join us and have KAL's using their patterns. Most of the forums I got into on R were because I got into a knit or crochet along and then started following the designer. I will watch for your next KAL and if possible, I will join in the fun.

• lsmrcd
                lsmrcd commented
                Editing a comment
                ReneCall ditto.

I contacted Lily Go about a couple of patterns that she sells on "R" and her website goes back to that site as well. She directed me to her Etsy account where she sells directly to customers. I think many of the designers only have the option of "r" right now. Hopefully, that will change with this backlash.
              Last edited by sherryglover1; 07-16-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• shrikewoman
                shrikewoman commented
                Editing a comment
                Oooo!!! I love Lily Go. It was only because I saw one of her beautiful shawls that I learned to do lace knitting. I'm glad that she's kind about it.

I just saw something on instagram today that suggested even with Paypal they aren't properly encrypting your information on Ravelry, not sure if that's true but it made me wonder enough to decide I need to change my Paypal Password again just in case.... I will continue to purchase patterns from people who support the free expression of ideas and do not become abusive and bullying towards others who chose to remain neutral. I will likely move to creating my own designs and working with books available in the library because I've found working on building my own design is rewarding and exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivi View Post
                I have no problem finding lots of items I want to make from designers who have their own websites such as
                https://mariegreene.thinkific.com/
                https://www.sundayknits.com/

I still have oodles of patterns from magazines and books I've never got around to making so now is a good time!
                These are great sites! Thank you for sharing them. I will follow both of them.

Comment

Having done a bunch of internet research in the last few days, and especially looking at patterns on Pinterest, there is a pretty strong monopoly as to where you can sell/post your patterns if you are a designer. With Patternfish gone, and by the way, does anyone know anything about that especially why in the world they closed their business and didn't sell it to someone else, there seem to be few places to sell patterns. If you have your own website, how do you get found, start a following, etc. It's like trying to do internet searches and only having a few search engines to use...It really isn't a good situation.
                  Happy trails, Diana

Comment

And after posting my last comment I found this site https://blog.feedspot.com/top-knitting-blogs/ which had this title for the number one knitting blog: 1. Unraveled - Ravelry Blog

Happy trails, Diana

Comment

Working...
                    X