July 2021 Sock KAL CHAT

This is the thread to chat about our socks. Share pictures of your yarn and pattern ideas here.

This month our theme is Sharks. It’s time to go to the beach. Watch out for sharks!
Cute pattern idea for someone who would love shark socks:
https://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/shark-socks

Our color this month is: Grey

Bonus entry if you watch a shark movie like Sharknado or Jaws while you knit. Share a picture of you knitting with sharks on the TV screen! We’ll trust you if you tell us what shark movie you watched.

My grandson is here so today I’m going to measure his foot and get started on some shark socks! That is - if I can get him out of the pool long enough to measure his foot. When I got up this morning at 8 a.m., he was already in the pool with my daughter. He arrived yesterday and spent the afternoon and early evening in the pool. When it was time for bed, my daughter asked him which book he wanted to hear. He said, “No book. I just want to go to sleep.” He’s really going to be worn out starting at 8 am!

I’m ready to start shark socks! I’ve got my yarn, pattern and a shark movie. I chose “Toxic Shark.” In the first few minutes, the shark has sprayed a green, toxic substance and eaten four people. Whose idea was this?!!

EC628903-62D7-4143-BFB6-55451C4EF1A7.jpeg

9DBB25D9-7961-49A9-8F11-485131A5C9BD.jpeg

Hahahaa … yeah … whose?

It was a zombie shark movie! It was terrible.

@Nyssareen - It definitely qualifies as a bad movie! It was so ridiculous, it did make me laugh. The shark spews a toxin and if he bites someone, they become a biting zombie. It is set at a single’s vacation island and one of the bikini clad girls goes on a biting rampage and turns all the singles into zombies! No worries, they go into the water and the shark eats them. Three of the singles do escape. I won’t tell you the ending! :slight_smile:

Shark Week starts July 11 on the Discovery Channel!

I’ve started my shark socks. I’m making mine in a child’s size with fingering weight yarn instead of the worsted weight in teen or adult size in the pattern. If anyone wants to make these for a kid in their life and needs help adjusting the pattern, just ask and I’ll share what I’m doing.

The top of the sock is a triangle and will end up being the shark’s mouth. You put your foot into the shark’s mouth! I think my grandson will really love these.

E86573AA-0492-4B02-840B-3E18B12505AB.jpeg

Making progress! One shark sock done but not decorated. It will get eyes, teeth, fins and gills.

78191A02-C2B0-4D90-8EC6-137E9EA6E530.jpeg

Is the cuff the sharks mouth? What fun!

@knitter131 - Yes - you put your foot into the shark’s mouth! There will be white teeth when I’m done.

Shark’s teeth! My socks are done. Just need to add the embellishments.

E2CF8D39-41D4-4646-AB74-E2AD976CED33.jpeg

:notes: Baby Shark du du, du du du du du du…… :notes:

you are welcome.

LOL @Char

Zombie sharks? Thanks to my older brothers’ obsession with MST3K as teenagers, I am a big fan of bad movies, I may have to check that one out! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good morning Fiberkind Sock knitters! I have a question for your collective expertise on socks.

I have knit myself one pair of socks with a fingerling yarn, knit picks felici. I would love to be a sock knitter, but I don’t wear thin socks, which to me the fingerling socks (made on size 1 or 2 needles- I can’t remember which), are thin.

I have a low volume foot and so like thick socks (e.g. hiking socks).

So…my question is, is it possible for me to make a thick sock I would actually wear? using worsted weight on small needles holding extra nylon? (As it seems most worsted weights do not have enough nylon for socks).

Has anyone made really thick socks? (Compared to the usual fingerling weight)

My favorite everyday socks are Farm-to-feet socks, if those ring a bell for anyone.

I have a feeling that making socks thick also messes up any pattern I might use if using a thicker yarn and so it may be a project I save for retirment! :rofl: (which is a long way off!)

I have a yarn crawl coming up and so was thinking of projects.

Just thought I’d ask! Thanks!

The Ann Budd sock book " Get started knitting socks" has patterns/ formulas for all gauges of socks from about 4 stitch per inch to 8 stitch per inch. I have heard that if you knit tightly enough the nylon is not as necessary.

@crosstitchlinda thank you. My local library system doesn’t have that book, so I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled on the crawl!

I get really cold feet so I love thick socks. You can find wool and nylon blends in fingering, sport, dk and worsted weights. I would recommend you try dk weight.
Worsted is very heavy and harder to find in sock yarn. If you can tolerate Regia or Opal (I find them too itchy), they make a durable sock yarn in 4 ply (fingering), 6 ply (dk) and 8 ply (worsted). There are other brands that sell heavier weight sock yarn. You may have better luck finding it if you search for 6 ply or 8 ply vs. dk or worsted.

As far as patterns - I adjust patterns all the time. Some heavily cabled patterns with large designs are impossible to resize but any pattern with a repeat can be sized down to less stitches.

@lovestostitch yes, I was thinking that some of the pretty sock designs would be very difficult to alter for thicker yarn. Though now that I am thinking about it…the foot of the sock is the only part I NEED thick, I suppose I could switch back to fingering for the ankle to calf region, making however many stitches are needed for a fancier design. Ever done that? (I am partial to tie-up sock making, thus why I say switch to fingering after a thicker yarn)

Skolt Saami Socks from Inari by Laura Ricketts - I took a class from Laura where we made her saami socks which are a worsted pattern. I used a alpaca yarn. It felts as I wash and wear it, but they are very comfortable and warm :slight_smile: I cast on 52 stitches for my worsted versus my 64/68 for fingering.