728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

August 2021 Sock KAL - CHAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 2021 Sock KAL - CHAT

This is the thread to chat about our socks. Share pictures of your yarn and pattern ideas here.

Our theme this month is: Creative ways to disguise "ugly" yarn.

Our color is: The ugliest yarn in your stash. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder so you choose which one you think is ugly.

Our prize is a skein of Debbie Bliss Rialto Luxury Sock yarn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BBCF0F09-442D-46C0-B0E7-B18F06E01B03.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	107199
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

I have two pair on the needles already in the same beautiful blue yarn so I don't know if I'll get arnd to any ugly yarn. I started the one pair a couple of months ago before my world turned topsy-turvy and have just been knitting a couple rows here and there whenever I could calm my spirit enough to do it. But I'm getting back to my normal self lately and today I went off to the next town for the morning and grabbed the wrong bag. So I had the second skein of yarn instead of the started socks so... I started the second pair! I promised my daughter I would try to get two pairs for her from this yarn since it's her favorite color so it isn't wasted effort at all. If I really get going and end up starting a third pair I'll look for some "ugly yarn" although I'll have to look for advice as I just usually get rid of anything I find to be ugly. 😆
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210801_191149.jpg Views:	13 Size:	186.6 KB ID:	107204
    Natalie from Oklahoma

“When the whole world is running toward a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." C.S. Lewis

Stashbuster MAL 2022 YTD -6 WTD -8
    2022 40 New-to-me Books: 4

Comment

Can we start a list of patterns to use up ugly sock yarn. I know lovestostitch mentioned one a while back, but it slips my mind. If you want to add, just comment. I can edit to add to the list.
      PATTERNS FOR UGLY SOCK YARN
      Monster Socks (helical or scrappy)
      Ugly Duckling Socks
      Drops Rocky Mountain Sunrise (two yarns held together knit with US#6 needles
      Last edited by PurlgirlButtons; 08-04-2021, 06:45 PM.
      The best time to wear a striped sweater is all the time. -SpongeBob SquarePants

Comment

• Nyssareen
        Nyssareen commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm looking at patterns and have come across another potentially useful pattern for ugly yarn. I could see this one being really cute if you can find the right solid color to go with your ugly yarn.

https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/z...y-sandra-jager

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Nyssareen - those are both really cute patterns. I especially like the Pixel stitch one.

• Nyssareen
        Nyssareen commented
        Editing a comment
        I kept coming across more cool patterns I wanted to share, so I decided to stop posting them one by one until I think I'm done looking!

This one uses at least 3 different yarns and is more of a stitch design that can be applied to any basic sock pattern to use up odds and ends of leftover sock yarn.
        https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/n...by-jane-nelson

This one is pretty basic and just makes stripes, which could be useful in the right circumstances. I am considering doing this pattern, I just have to try my ugly yarn with a couple different solid colors to see how they work together.
        https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/s...-shuttermonkey

Last one for today! This is one I most definitely won't be trying myself because I don't like long socks, I prefer anklets. But this could really work given the right color to accent the ugly yarn.
        https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/e...e-paints-fw103

There is no "ugly" yarn, just yarn that is misunderstood.
      Spinner of Yarns
      Author and Fiber Artist
      Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Comment

• Pegg Thomas
          Pegg Thomas commented
          Editing a comment
          Or in the eye of the beer-holder ... depending.

Name:	A05B8628-3EAA-434D-B197-E7242E3FE43B.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	107401

This is my "ugly" yarn for this month. I won a skein of yarn in the past and the donor let me choose a colorway. I chose a pink and burgundy mix. This is what she sent me. Not my colors at all! I especially have an aversion to yellow. My son loves the colors so he will be the recipient of this pair of socks.

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          KnitsWithHorses commented
          Editing a comment
          DJM is right! Cuz i actually love these colors. Lol Hard to say without seeing it knit up though... it might be a bit busy? I've had that happen before. Get a yarn with colors i live but then feel like there is just too much happening with the color patterning or there is pooling or whatever. In which case i usually combine it with a solid and make stripes or color blocks. If i get around to a third pair this month maybe i can do something like that. Have to do some stash diving.

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses - this yarn makes a pattern. I like the pattern and I would be ok with all the colors except yellow. I don't know why I dislike yellow so much. My poor hubby always wants yellow flowers and I never planted them until I discovered Gazanias last year. The flowers are like daisies but each flower has multiple colors - yellow, orange, white and pink. They are so cheerful that I like them. One of my friends that I've known for a long time came over and said, "What's with yellow flowers?" She knows me too well!

The good news is that my son loves yellow but I do need to show him the pattern it makes. He might not like that.

Name:	54F95B7C-22C2-47BF-B353-FEE8A6EA69FA.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	108592

I got past the heel and my son finally admitted he wasn't sure he liked this yarn. He didn't want to say it but I could tell. I told him I would rather stop now than finish them if he wasn't going to like them. So he fessed up that he really wasn't sure he would like them. I pulled out my bag of Opal yarn and told him he could choose what he liked. Then he told me his vision for socks he would like. He wants 1" stripes of colors and he picked what he liked. I tried to talk him into a brighter blue but it didn't work. I said the idea was perfect because I thought it was an ugly combination of colors so it fit right into the theme. He loves the colors together! There is black on the left but you can hardly see it. Now to start over.

Name:	4C211A91-E7BF-41C0-BC92-B33EA5545957.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	108593

Comment

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the colors will go perfectly for a man. It does however remind me of a shirt my MIL bought for hubby, it was a bright background with large dots on it. She could never understand why he didn't wear it when we came to visit. Hubby likes primary colors and nothing that brings attention to him.

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          DJM - my hubby would wear only black and grey if I didn't encourage other colors. Since I buy his clothes, I have introduced some other colors.

My son was so funny because he didn't think the original pair was "manly" enough but then he asks for crazy colored socks.

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          I love the pattern and colors in the "ugly" yarn! I had to go back and forth a couple of times to convince myself that the skein you posted was this same yarn. lol In the new selection all I can see is my BRONCOS colors!!! I use that combination a LOT.

I can’t wait to see how these turn out.
        Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

Okay, so I've obviously found quite a few interesting patterns, but I really want to try the Ugly Duckling pattern. I have searched high and low, and upon deciding that it was only available on Ravelry, I finally broke down and went there, only to discover that it's not available there anymore either! The pattern designer has closed her Ravelry shop and stated that none of her patterns are available anymore. I've tried to find out if she's made them available anywhere else, but have come up with nothing. So does anyone have any ideas where else I might find it? Or did we ever figure out the rules on sharing free patterns in the group?
          Cezanne Black Pellett on Facebook and MeWe

Oh SNAP ✨ we're DUELLING 🤺and more at Fiberkind Wizarding School! 🔮

Or try out the lvermorny Campus

Comment

• Nyssareen
            Nyssareen commented
            Editing a comment
            I've checked FB and Instagram and found quite a few Karin Aidas but have no idea which one is her. There are lots of people who have put her name in a hashtag when they've made her patterns, but I haven't been able to track any of them to a specific account. I'll keep looking though!

• KnitsWithHorses
            Editing a comment
            You could just go with the general idea of the mosaic pattern on the top of the foot and stripes on the bottom and design your own duckling. There's a website with several free mosaic in the round stitch instructions. Or if you don't mind converting from flat to in-the-round there's quite a few more. I'll find it and post the link...

• Nyssareen
            Nyssareen commented
            Editing a comment
            KnitsWithHorses That's a good idea. Looking at the pictures it doesn't look too incredibly complex. I've done some mosaic in the round when I made soap sacks, so I'm sure I could manage that. Thanks!

I finally finished my April Socks, so I can start my August Ugly Socks! I'm trying to downsize, so I am not putting in for any prize on these.
          Toe-up, plain with a gusset heel. Helical Knit with 3 colors. KP Stroll hand-dyed and Premier Sock Hand-dyed.

​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	108775

Comment

• DJM
            DJM commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the stripes!!

• PurlgirlButtons
            PurlgirlButtons commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, DJM. It was a little brutal.

• lovestostitch
            lovestostitch commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the colors!

https://www.mosaicknitting.com/searc...-the-round?m=1
          This is a website with free mosaic stitches including in the rnd options which could make some great ugly yarn socks.
          Natalie from Oklahoma

“When the whole world is running toward a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." C.S. Lewis

Comment

There's a pair of socks in the new Knitty that fits in perfectly with this theme. 😁

They are actually beautiful socks. Stranded colorwork.
            https://knitty.com/ISSUEff21/PATTsoc...sockpuppet.php
            Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

I started my Ugly Socks last night but then started having bad tendonitis-like pain in the left hand. They are going to be thick, so shouldn't take long, but I don't know if I should even be thinking about trying to knit. Maybe for a few minutes at a time. But I have started de-cluttering my yarn stash, so that is something. At least I get to play with yarn. Today I looked at my dishcloth cotton stash. I have one of those big cheese ball containers with a bunch of odd balls and I bet I could make quite a few dishcloth/washcloths with what I have. My goal is to make a few for my Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes.

Name:	IMG_0432.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	108890Here is the ugly yarn I'm using as the MC and the first carrying color.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0433.JPG Views:	0 Size:	154.0 KB ID:	108889

Comment

• DJM
                DJM commented
                Editing a comment
                I hope your hand feels better soon.

• PurlgirlButtons
                PurlgirlButtons commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, D (@DJM) I'm trying to take it easy!

• FreedomLover
                FreedomLover commented
                Editing a comment
                These are going to be fun! I hope you’re feeling better soon.

Name:	92432CC3-B24E-4162-8FF4-CF736DA197C2.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	109054

I still don't like the blue that my son chose to go with the orange and teal but I think the black stripes really help. It will have black heels and toes too.

Comment

• Spice2s
                Spice2s commented
                Editing a comment
                I love these. love the blue myself

• Carlota
                Carlota commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it's awesome. Sophisticated and modern.

• FreedomLover
                FreedomLover commented
                Editing a comment
                The black does add a lot to the pattern.

What a difference the other color makes! I found yarn in my stash that I most definitely consider UGLY. I don't know who thought that combining magenta (I know it looks like a more brick red in the pic, but trust me, it is a pinkish-purple magenta!) with olive green and baby-poop yellow was a good idea, but whoever it was should be taken out and shot for this colorway! None of the pictures I managed to get can do justice to how horrible this color combo is to me. When I first started, I used a gorgeous, very dark purple for the contrasting color, and just didn't like them together, so I couldn't get into working on the socks. I finally decided that if I hated working on knitting the socks this much, I most certainly wouldn't ever wear the horrible things and frogged the whole thing. I had almost determined to just not try to make the ugly socks when I came across this lovely chocolate brown tweed yarn in a box while looking for something else entirely. I started working on the Ugly Duckling pattern with the ugly yarn and the chocolate brown and fell in love! The brown makes the horrible magenta/olive/baby-poop color actually look pretty and I can't wait to finish these socks! I don't know if I will have both of them done on time, but at least the finished socks will be ones I'll actually want to wear!

The first picture is the ugly yarn, keep in mind, I don't think the picture does its ugliness justice. The second is the ugly yarn with the purple, again, the picture doesn't really capture its ugliness. The third is the ugly yarn with the beautiful brown that almost makes the ugly yarn look like stained glass, it's so pretty!

Name:	Ugly Yarn 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	110370Click image for larger version

Name:	UGLY Ugly Sock.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	110371Click image for larger version

Name:	Pretty Ugly Sock.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	110372
              Cezanne Black Pellett on Facebook and MeWe

Oh SNAP ✨ we're DUELLING 🤺and more at Fiberkind Wizarding School! 🔮

Or try out the lvermorny Campus

Comment

• lovestostitch
                lovestostitch commented
                Editing a comment
                I find I have to take my pictures in natural light to get accurate colors. My full spectrum craft light (like an Ott lamp) does bad things to colors.

• Nyssareen
                Nyssareen commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, I use the "warmer" old-fashioned lightbulbs because I have photosensitivity due to Lupus, but they don't do colors any favors when taking pictures. I never thought of just taking stuff outside to get better pics of the colors, I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion!

• FreedomLover
                FreedomLover commented
                Editing a comment
                This does look beautiful.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
            X