LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

February 2020 Sock Knitting Chatter 🧦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lovestostitch Very nice!! 👍
    Last edited by Kathy7661; 02-02-2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I started my pair of (oh my gosh is it) pink socks a couple days ago using the heritage pattern. It is going well!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F4F83914-9F19-4ADA-933C-46B3A6A43F1E.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	42153
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = 0; YTD = +73

Comment

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s a beautiful pink!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the pink!

I started these on Sunday and they are knitting up pretty quickly, an inch or so more and I'll be ready to do the heels. The yarn is loops and threads in dark red. The pic looks a little orange to me but the yarn is really deep red. The pattern for the hearts came from a sock recipe I found on "r" a year or so ago and the rest is just my own preferred style.

Name:	2020-02-05 13.55.28.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	42237

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice - and fitting for this month!

I've started a pair of socks with leftover Lorna's Laces. They will probably be summer shorties. I'm not sure how I will incorporate the two colors, so it will be a surprise 😊

Name:	IMG_20200207_105828546.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	42397
      2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = -27, YTD = 0

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Well for right now, it's fun to see the green-eyed man looking at us. Those are both pretty colors.

I mentioned my pairfect socks in the other thread but couldn't figure how to post a picture in the comments, so here are pictures of my two pair I used with this yarn
      Linda
      Stasbusting week ending 2/22 WTD = +4 YTD = +42
      Book Challenge = 8

Comment

February will be a socks month.
        My first pair of socks

Name:	IMG_20200209_135034_20200209144649090.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	42628

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          These are stunning!

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          So pretty!

• Carlota
          Carlota commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a very impressive first pair of socks I would say! Lots going on there and you aced it! Beautifully done and congratulations!

And here's a simple baby socks

Name:	IMG_20200209_135122.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	42630

Comment

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great use of leftovers!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          These are so sweet.

Last week I decided to use some remnants of sock yarn. At the moment I have two pair of baby socks on the needles. And many more to come.
        Most of yarn in the box is Drops Fabel.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200209_135146.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.5 KB ID:	42632
        ​​​​​

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Those will make some beautiful scrappy socks!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Have fun designing! You've got many great choices.

Finally finished the socks I started at Christmas for my hubby. Now I can get on with my February socks! I will say I'm thrilled that they fit his feet so well. The last pair were just a bit too big despite using his foot template. I think the secret is to start the heel just a bit before I get to the "ankle hinge line" (per the sox therapist).

Name:	20200209_181334.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	42706

Comment

• Carlota
          Carlota commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are beautiful, classic tweedy socks - and that's great about the fit - like icing on the cake after all that knitting.

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you both! Carlota - I have to agree about the "icing on the cake"--I made a pair for each of our adult kids at Christmas and both of them were just a shade too long! I mean, it's not like they're going to grow into them! I did tell them maybe washing them and putting them in the dryer once wouldn't hurt them... They are Regia socks, so they are supposed to be machine washable, although I told them to avoid putting them in the dryer overall.

• Carlota
          Carlota commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had good luck with my Regia socks. I normally hand wash and air dry them, but they have undergone a few machine cycles and all is well. Lately when doing toe-up socks I have been unhappy with my foot length, enough to consider going back to top-down so I can reknit the toe if it doesn't fit. Always a trade-off, right? I make better use of the yarn when knitting toe-up.

Well, I have finished the featured socks through the cuffs. There seems to be a bit of a twist to the knit. I am not sure if I want that on foot portion, so I am trying to decide how to carry on from here.

anyway - here’s my pink cascade waves socks:

Name:	E3EEA7FB-F0F1-4BC9-BFF3-772A3CA2DC2A.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	43227
        Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = 0; YTD = +73

Comment

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are turning out so pretty! I love the color and how the pattern design shows up. I am doing some with my yarn, but I think since I spun it with an extra ply of white Lincoln Longwool for toughness (giving it a more marled look as a result), mine are not showing the pattern so well. Oh well, I'm having fun doing it anyway!

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          rkennell - it is a fun pattern. It is a little difficult to see on this picture, but IRL it is showing up nicely for sure.

Well, my striped socks are no longer striped. If you recall, I dyed the yarn myself and was aiming for pink. When it wasn't pink, I aimed for red - not orange. What did I get? Reddish orange. Then I striped it with undyed yarn. I was happy with the look. Then I washed them and the dye was pouring off them. I had washed the yarn after dyeing so I didn't expect this. Wanting to preserve the stripes, I soaked it in vinegar water, wrapped it in plastic wrap and microwaved it. Hmm - this obliterated half of the stripes as the dye migrated and left me with weird lighter spots. Into a pot they went. At least I could get an even color. To tone down the orange and to add enough dye to cover the light spots, I threw in a purple Easter egg tablet. I simmered them for double the recommended time. When I rinsed them, they still bled a little. I have officially given up using red food coloring for dyeing. I'm going to have to try acid dye to get pink or red.

Here are my new February socks, with the leftover original color.

Name:	467FF4B5-514D-4A80-A6AF-921B1C115A64.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	43578
        Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my what an experience!!! Your socks are very pretty all the same. Seems you definitely had better luck with other dying experiences though.

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Char - Red is the worst. Even commercial dyers have problems with red. I don't know what it is about red.

• Carlota
          Carlota commented
          Editing a comment
          ​Absolutely beautiful. You were certainly determined. The socks come with a story.​

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X