LoveCrafts 728 X 90
YOUR AD COULD BE HERE!

Click here for details.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

March 2020 Sock KAL - Chatter 🧦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March 2020 Sock KAL - Chatter 🧦

Greetings All!!

March is about budding flowers and sunnier days ahead here in my neck of the woods. We’ve seen small buds of our daffodils in our beds already. I can’t wait for Spring!

This month’s beginner pattern is from our own BaadWolfKnits – her'Nilla 'Nilla sockscan be downloaded from Lovecrafts – please support our FiberKind Designers!

This month’s featured pattern is Knit Pick’s Butterfly Garden Socks (the pattern is free to download it is not necessary to buy the book)

Our theme is stripes – what is your favorite pattern to use the striping yarn? I have some felici to use LOL

Our color this month is Yellow

You may also choose any pattern you would like.

Show me what yarn and patterns you choose!

If anyone has a donation they wish to contribute, let me know. Otherwise I’ll be stash diving for some yarn I hope will make you happy!

2/26/20 update: For those wanting to participate in the #greensockskal on Instagram, we'll also welcome your socks here (and give you an extra entry). So - I guess we're officially adding GREEN as an extra color of the month!
    Last edited by Char; 02-26-2020, 09:05 PM.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -18; YTD -264

I have been anxiously awaiting the first of the month so I can begin my socks. This yarn is what I will use for the “Butterfly” design. The yarn is Cascade Heritage Sock in Lemon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200301_095321814.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	45058
    ​​​​​​​
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD +28, YTD + 187

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      What a pretty yellow!!!

The second pair of socks I hope to complete is the "Nilla-Nilla" design by our very own BaadWolfKnits. This yarn is hand dyed from Good Fibrations in Canada. It's actually a bright yellow, green and purple yarn, should be perfect for this pattern.

Name:	IMG_20200301_095351668.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	45060
    Kathie from Indiana

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Please disregard this - the yarn is too thick for me to use for socks. I've picked out another color. This yarn will make a beautiful shawlette ☺️

• LizB
      LizB commented
      Editing a comment
      What great colours

So, here's the yarn I'll be using for the "Nilla Nilla" socks. This yarn is Knit Picks Felici. I dyed it using liquid food coloring in neon colors. I can't wait to see how it works up - hopefully not a lot of pooling ☺️

Name:	IMG_20200301_135953742.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	45097
    Kathie from Indiana

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice bright colors. I love it. Can't wait to see it knitted up.

• BaadWolfKnits
      BaadWolfKnits commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh that will be lovely!! I can't wait to see them. You knit so fast, I know I won't have to wait long!😉

• LizB
      LizB commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow you've done an amazing job with the dyeing. Look forward to seeing them knit up.

Hey sock knitters!

Knit Picks is having an "up to 40% off" sock yarn sale. The sale ranges from 20% -40% off:

Knit Picks sock sale

Woot!

(sale ends 3/9/2020)

Comment

• BaadWolfKnits
      BaadWolfKnits commented
      Editing a comment
      Seriously Char you are the enabler to my addiction!😂 Yeah, I got some superfluous sock yarn for stashing and some fiber for my supported spindle, ahem, hobby, so what?! 🤣

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      BaadWolfKnits - I use the excuse that I am saving for my retirement. Gotta have enough yarn when I retire!

So after watching Vone Kevitz' video on You Tube: Being Proactive With Green Socks I've decided to knit socks of peace instead of retaliating in the same way that THEY did with the pink things. I will love on everyone's green socks, though.

Name:	IMG_1314.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	45543
    Last edited by PurlgirlButtons; 03-05-2020, 01:24 PM. Reason: Change of heart
    2020 Stashbuster MAL Week Ending 10/17 =
    -3~~ YTD =+8

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Just a progress photo of these "Nilla Nilla" socks, and how they are working up with the neon hand dyed yarn. I should finish them up this weekend. Very happy with the way the yarn brings to life this plain stockinette stitch pattern.

Name:	IMG_20200303_165116341.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	45331 ​​​​​​​
    Kathie from Indiana

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      The colors keep me awake when I’m knitting 🧶

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      KnitsWithHorses - I agree. Busy yarns look great in vanilla.

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the colors, you did a fabulous job with the dye. Now I want to learn to dye yarn!

I've started another pair of socks, putting two others in hold. There's someone dear t me who has a birthday this month, and I decided to make her a pair.

These will be a vanilla 2x2 rib, her favorite.

Yarn is Ice Design Sock.

Name:	1583338374490723106524.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	45403
    Kathie from Indiana

Comment

I'm working on a pair of socks with Diamond Luxury Footloose yarn, I liked the look of the yarn in the skein better than I do in knit socks, but these are so soft and will be really comfortable.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304_155746.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.6 KB ID:	45473
    Click image for larger version  Name:	footloose.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.4 KB ID:	45471
    Last edited by FreedomLover; 03-04-2020, 05:01 PM. Reason: Pic was too large
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol - and as I am typing there is the progress photo! I like the way they are turning out.

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I also like the look for socks 😊

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Char, I agree, when I bought the skein I thought it looked patriotic but the socks not so much. They will be a pleasure to wear.

I am getting ready to cast on my striped socks. I am using felici yarn, and I am going to go with the geek socks. The yarn will pull some so I think I will use larger needles as well.

Name:	A29E1337-021A-47AD-AF0C-33CBE972E544.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	45477

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I love the colors !!!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      This is beautiful yarn, I can't wait to see how it knits up.

Hey guys - please post your finished socks again in the finished thread. I accidentally deleted the original thread thinking I was posting a chatter item. Thanks!

Comment

• qfknit
      qfknit commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, it happens to the best of us... as well as to the rest of us.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      I know. It doesn't make it any less embarrassing though. LOL

Please allow me to introduce you to Ms_AU - she is a new member to FiberKind and wishes to learn how to knit socks. I would say she came to the right place, wouldn't you?

She is looking for an easy starter sock pattern, here is a link from HGTV:

https://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and...f-and-toe-tips

Glad to have you along!

Comment

• Ms_AU
      Ms_AU commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm getting close on finishing my son's hat and want to try magic loop for socks since I have used that technique on the decrease section for these hats I've made. I currently have the chaiogoo 4" interchangeable tip set which goes down to a size 2 needle and has multiple cord options, the longest of which is 22". I can join the cables together to make a longer cable if needed. and I usually do that for the hats but the join is somewhat annoying. Amazon sells 30" and 37" cables I could buy for my set, and even sells a 50" cable. would the 37" cable be the correct length for magic loop for socks? Also would size 2 needles be small enough for sock yarn or would I need to go smaller? Sorry for so many questions!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Ms_AU - I do socks with magic loop using what is called a 40" cable. Specifically, it is a 30" cable (though its labeled 40") with two 5" tips. The 30" cable plus the 10" of needles equals 40". It sounds like the 37" cable is the best choice.

If you are using fingering weight yarn, I would recommend sz. 0 or sz. 1 needles. Sz. 2 or 3 needles are appropriate for heavier weight sock yarn.

• Ms_AU
      Ms_AU commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information! That complicates my plan! LOL! The yarn I picked up to try for real sock knitting down the road is the lion brand mani pedi which is a weight 1 superfine yarn so that would be too thin to use with the size 2 needles in my set? I guess I will start with worsted weight yarn just to get a feel for using magic loop for socks. Might be time to fill out my needle set and get the 4" mini set that goes down to size 0.

I received some Felici self striping when I ordered some bare yarn as a free gift. These will be perfect for this project.

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful! I am so glad you are here! I've missed having you.

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      LizB, Char beat me to it, but I wanted to say a big WELCOME BACK!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome back! I look forward to seeing your socks.

This gorgeous skein of Acorn Willows Ad Astra is my next sock project. I think the Butterfly pattern would be a great match, what do you think?

I forgot to mention the paw, it belongs to Laurel my German Shepherd.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200306_161925.jpg Views:	2 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	45882
    Last edited by FreedomLover; 03-06-2020, 05:29 PM. Reason: Laurel's foot
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I remember the challenges. Our dog was bred for police work so she had a very strong drive.There were days I thought she was too much dog for us. We learned that we had to work her every day and that balanced her. Our only problem after that was she wanted to be a lap dog. I think she was a little jealous of our little Sheltie.

• EllenDeKnitter
      EllenDeKnitter commented
      Editing a comment
      The Acorn Willows yarn looks lovely. Can those of you who have used it describe its "hand" (how it feels knitted up), please? I'm not knitting socks, so I wouldn't knit it tightly.

(PS - My "paw" belongs to a Golden Retriever)

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Acorn Willows yarn has a wonderful hand, I will order from her again and again.

FreedomLover inspired me to make some patriotic socks :-). I am doing toe up, as I am not sure if I have enough yarn for taller cuffs. but they will make good shorties!

Name:	933EAB27-CE1F-49FA-A2E5-D653DA63A192.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	45934

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Rose the Rebel - I can't wait to see that mosaic pattern in socks. I gave up on it because it didn't look good with yarn that had bumpy flecks in it.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be starting another pair of patriotic socks shortly, stay tuned!

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I have them started and will post a pic as soon as I get enough done to show the mosaic pattern real good. I love patriotic stuff, I decorate for all the patriotic holidays more than I decorate for Christmas 🇺🇸

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X