LoveCrafts 728 X 90
YOUR AD COULD BE HERE!

Click here for details.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

May 2020 Sock KAL - it is Wacky Sock Month!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 2020 Sock KAL - it is Wacky Sock Month!

Well, May is nearly upon us, and I believe it is time to express how wacky things are through our socks!!!

There are no specific patterns, and the color is "clown barf". Show us how wacky you can be in your sock knitting!!!

You can, of course, knit whatever socks you choose, but if it is wacky and/or colorful you get extra "entries" in our finished thread. Patterns are allowed to be amended for size and preferences.

Help those of us who need some inspiration - what wacky socks are you planning to knit?

knitter131 is donating a skein of yarn this month. I'll get a picture up as soon as I can.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -18; YTD -264

Would TARDIS socks count as Wacky? My daughter has been wanting some. I'm just not sure I have any appropriate color... Tardis MUST be Tardis blue.
    Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +46 WTD +7

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, Dr. Who is kind of a wacky show - so why not?

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL--I have to agree! I've done a couple of Dr. Who scarves for our daughter. (I've never really gotten into the show myself) One was the LOOOOONNNG traditional multicolored one and the other one was a dark blue police box style. I'm sure the socks will be a fun knit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8912CCC0-41E0-4491-8EE9-885E72F8AAC3.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	53211

Name:	C03D430F-A9D5-476A-B686-E6290C72CB56.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	53212
    I'm using the three mini skeins to make some short cut socks. I'm considering these wacky socks but a good wacky! I'm carrying the blue and green through the socks and will end with green toes.
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      These look great and so comfortable to wear.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are definitely bright and eye-catching! Cute!

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, love it!! 😊

I've started granddaughters socks. She was quite excited. Hoping I can finish them by the time she comes again next week Tuesday. She picked out a fair isle chart to go around the top from a book I have and picked the colors. The green yarn is Cascade and the navy is deep stash with no band but I believe it is an acrylic from Michael's. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200504_152141.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	53280
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you FreedomLover and rkennell 😊. I'm not using a pattern but the little twisted stitch zigzag is from a pattern called Zigzagular, I think. I didn't save the pattern but I saved the chart. Lol

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      KnitsWithHorses - I've done Zigzagular. That zig zag really spices up a simple sock.

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      lovestostitch I love twisted stitch patterns. Even if I don't like the techniques used on a sock, I'll buy the pattern just to have the chart for them. Lol But I think Zigzagular was actually free wasn't it? I feel terrible that I can't remember who the designer was.

Good morning folks! I haven’t worked on socks in a bit, but am making time today as I work with a customer who is driving the mouse :-)

A carry over ... from March Stripe month. Lol

Name:	950F91BA-EA6D-4B26-AC7B-B6B3971A2843.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	53408

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I get it now - whew! I even see your prior note. Wacky-meter put back in the closet for now.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      What a nice job to have! (I'm sure it has it's challenges, too!) Those are so pretty! What yarn is this???

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      rkennell - it is knit picks felici - it is from a prior year, I don't see it available in the current year choices.

I'm ready to switch back to socks after finishing my diamond in the ruff blanket and a few other spring cleaning projects that failed. I'm thinking about hairy leg or bubble wrap ankle socks

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my - I can’t wait to see those! Carlota has her Wacky Meter - I bet it would be off the chart!

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, I'll get the Wacky Meter back out for sure.

knitter131 - I saw your comment on the affiliate page that you love Ice yarns. They certainly are a good price. Have you used their sock yarn? What did you think? Soft? Durable?

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      It is among my favorite sock yarns, washes up very softly. I actually just placed an order for some of their hand dyed sock yarns as I am very curious as to how that washes and feels. Their shipping is expensive, but when the skein of sock yarn is still under $5.00 even after shipping, it's a deal.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm - maybe a skein of Ice Yarns will show up as the prize this month.

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      lovestostitch I like it a lot, I would say it’s texture is comparable to Regia, which can feel a little course, but washes up beautifully. I use fabric softener, and it is quite soft. And the price, as you can see, is very reasonable.

I'm hope to start my clown barf socks today. A slanted rib, I haven't tried this pattern before but I have a pair that was a gift (thank you, Char ) and they fit great. I'm hoping I will like these as much as my gifted pair.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200511_092425142.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.0 KB ID:	53863
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD +28, YTD + 187

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yes - lovely clown parf.

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      I love Cascade Heritage. The lime green in my May socks is Heritage scraps.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a fun color!

I am ready to cast on a new pair of socks for mindless knitting. I FINALLY finished the pair of socks I started back in January for the February sock KAL! It is the handspun Icelandic (not by me) plied with my own handspun Lincoln longwool for extra durability. I also used some wooly nylon in the heel for reinforcement, thanks to Char. It ended up being a lot thicker than I had planned, but they are toasty!!

So at least these are checked off my list! (the yarn is before it was plied with the Lincoln longwool)

Name:	20200509_080500.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	53867Click image for larger version

Name:	20200124_093459.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	53868

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      What yarn is the purple yarn???

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Char it's actually pink and black Icelandic handspun that I bought at a farmer's market. I guess the picture makes it more purple. I have enough left over to make a fluffy pair of mittens or a hat.

Great looking socks, and I love your purple yarn 😊
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD +28, YTD + 187

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Name:	B7848675-1E39-42C7-9BC9-8054D722218D.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	53886

The second sock of my wacky pair got temporarily even wackier. I had promised to teach a friend how to knit socks. She knows how to knit but the heel turn was too much for her to figure out by herself. Due to coronavirus lock-down, I needed to be creative. Today I did my first videotaped lesson. I put it on youtube for her. It is not easy videotaping knitting. I tried all kinds of positions and ended up with my tablet, propped up on its lapdesk, on the floor and me sitting on the floor leaning over the lapdesk. My dogs came to check out what I was doing so they made an appearance on the video .

I did the heel turn in a different color to make it more obvious for her. I'll just frog it out and finish it in blue.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      What a nice friend you are!

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      lovestostitch Going through all that trouble was super thoughtful. Makes me appreciate the work people must put in to making the really nice YouTube channels.

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have never learned to knit if wonderful people didn't share their how to videos on you tube. I'm sure your friend is very appreciative.

I've started a pair of Summer shorties. Maybe this yarn qualifies as clown barf? It's the most colorful, circusy yarn I have currently. I don't usually have two pair of socks going at once but I can't work on the navy pair after dark, too hard on my eyes.

Name:	IMG_20200513_130420.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	54049
    Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have a meter but I'd call them wacky.

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      You nailed it when you said "circusy" - perfect fit with the theme this month!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the pattern you are doing. It makes the colors more fun - wacky fun!

This is what I have so far on my wacky socks. I think I'll call them....."Pardon Me I Haven't Shaved My Legs Cuz I Went Crazy From Covid" socks. I'm really liking this Mani-Pedi yarn I am not going to make them full leg but more of an ankle sock.

Name:	20200514_174938.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	54164
    Attached Files

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Rose the Rebel check out Lemming13 and her project blogs - she makes great amigurumi

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Char! I never heard the term but when my girls were little I used to crochet them little stuffed animals, same concept different name. My girls are in their mid 30's now, I wonder if any still exist.?

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      @Rose_the_Rebel I am TERRIBLE at stuffies. Rarely ever made anything like it especially if it required a face. But amigurumi are usually really simplified faces that are easy to duplicate plus they are tiny and quick. And... My grandkids suckered me into trying it and I was hooked. Lol It's available in knit or crochet although I believe traditionally it was crochet and my favorites are usually crochet. I an still far from great at it but it's fun. ☺️ I'm hoping to make a nurse ami next for my daughter who is an RN.

Rose the Rebel - here is the link to her blogs:

https://fiberkind.com/blogs/lemming13-rides-again

Comment

I don't always knit with horses... Sometimes I knit with goats! 😂 It's a beautiful day today so I am sitting outside to work on Ryley's navy socks. I have MG that affects my eyes so when I'm having flares I can't work very dark yarn without really good lighting. Hopefully I can finish them this week with all the nice weather. Vinnie is my big helper. (Actually he's hoping to get a nibble... Sshhhh)

Name:	IMG_20200518_164613.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	54526
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, Vinnie! No dessert today, maybe another day. Lol

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Vinnie is such a cutie, I'm sure time with him puts a smile on your face.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Vinnie was my Mother's day gift. He is 4 months old and already spoiled rotten and a total love.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X