LoveCrafts 728 X 90
YOUR AD COULD BE HERE!

Click here for details.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

June 2020 Sock KAL - Something fishy is going on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 2020 Sock KAL - Something fishy is going on!

Welcome to the unofficial start of summer! Where I live we almost skipped over spring - what happened to those nice breezy 70 degree days?

This month our pattern of the month will be a cascade pattern: Cascade Fisherman Socks
    Our color will match the socks pictured this month: Purple
    And our theme will be the beach - whether that means fishing, swimming, or sea shells to you - go with it!

As always, you may use any sock pattern and color you wish and still be eligible for the drawing (I'll find some in my stash I hope you'll like), you may also amend for your preferences (size, heels, toes, whatever).

Sings4joy is donating a bag from her Earthwise Emporium store on Galilee Life. The bags are approximately 5” x 8” (the gold and black bags are closer to 4” x 8”. Please show her store some love! Thank you so much for donating!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	4FA87B81-F587-4B29-BAD6-6668EA7422CC.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	56488
    Last edited by Char; 06-05-2020, 08:33 AM.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -6; YTD -286

The pattern looks beautiful, I might just be ready to challenge myself this month! And, I have some beautiful lavender yarn just waiting for something special 😊😊. I'm excited, hard to wait to get started....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200527_114240709.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	55379
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD +2, YTD + 69

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      I apparently am not able to concentrate on a pattern such as this right now. I ripped out several rows three times before I decided to just frog it. 😕😕

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry, I know how this feels.

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      knitter131 - I've been doing a lot of outside work and then I'm nodding off while trying to knit in the evenings. It's hard to follow a pattern when you are nodding off!

Got my pattern downloaded on my tablet in KnitCompanion and have my yarn packed for my flight tomorrow! Hope to get a lot of knitting done! This is a pretty pattern. Unfortunately, they will be a green tweed since I don't have any purple sock yarn on hand, but I think they will still be pretty! I love the pattern design. I'll probably stick to this pattern instead of my usual FLK heel pattern, but I do plan to do 2 at a time.

Hoping to find lots of knitting time in the evenings while visiting my folks. Mom goes to bed early (7:30 or 8!) and Dad likes to sit up and watch Fox News till 10. I also have a summer sweater I ordered the yarn for and had it shipped down there to work on. I might be a bit overly ambitious..... But all good knitters don't ever just take the project they are working on, right??? (Oh yeah, I also have an afghan square I'm in the middle of and I am planning to try to finish that particular square as well. I want to finish that project up--it's long overdue, but I have quite a few squares left. Not going to do them all on the trip, though. I'm about halfway through the whole project) . But the sock knitting project is perfect for on the plane and in the airport. (Oops, I might be a day or 2 ahead!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	9781933064123-us.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	55385Click image for larger version  Name:	52790220.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	55386

Comment

I love the Fisherman's Socks pattern, that's been on my list for a while. I don't think I have any purple sock yarn.
      Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Any color will do, of course!

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I know, just thinking "out loud."

Did you guys see these socks in the free patterns group?

Anchor socks

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are so cute!!

Sounds good! I have a sock blank in a “sea glass” color that will be perfect for June, and I think it will work in the fisherman pattern.

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I look forward to seeing that, I love that color.

I could use some help. I want to make the socks that are this month's featured pattern, the Cascade Fisherman's socks.

The pattern calls for 72 stitch cast on, and I would normally use 60.

​​​​​​I know the twists and cables will bring it tight a bit, but not sure how many I should cast on so they fit. Any ideas?
      ​​​​​​
      Thanks!
      Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD +2, YTD + 69

Comment

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        Since you usually cast on 60 for a good fit, and since cable stitches tend to cinch in a bit and are less stretchy than a rib, if you don't want to swatch it... then I would probably choose to cast on either 64 or 66... removing either 8 stitches or 6 stitches from the pattern... whichever is easier to adjust the number of pattern stitches down to... (72 - 8 = 64 or 72 - 6 = 66).

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, qfknit. I will study the pattern and see what I come up with. I will start tomorrow 😊

Do you have to wait till June 1 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_230941.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	55788 for socks to count for this month? I've just spent all morning working up a design for the yarn Ryley dyed and realized it's May 31st.... 🤭😜
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
      "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +73 WTD +12

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        KnitsWithHorses commented
        Editing a comment
        qfknit Thank you! The toe color is Cascade Heritage but I couldn't believe how well it matched with the green in my granddaughters hand dyed! I love lace on summer socks. 😊

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        These are looking fabulous, a great pattern matched perfectly with the yarn.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Thanks FreedomLover!

Okay thanks knitter131 💞
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Comment

New to Fiberkind and am looking to learn new skills. I'm just delving into sock knitting today! I hope my anxiety over socks has been unwarranted.....wish me luck!
        Be the change you wish to see in the world
        -Gandhi

Comment

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh good! We love welcoming people to our sock knitting addiction. Which technique are you going to use? Magic Loop, double point needles or two circulars? Cuff down or toe up? You didn't think it was going to be easy to get started, did you? .

I have a local friend who I talked into trying sock knitting and I promised to coach her through it - right before the pandemic lock down. She had all her supplies and was so excited to get started. I convinced her we could do it virtually. She got stuck on the heel so I even made a video with my very primitive filming techniques! If you get stuck on the heel turn, I have a video to share.

• Monchichi
          Monchichi commented
          Editing a comment
          Confession, I have succesfully knitted one pair of socks before, but it was a few years ago with worsted weight and not a good worsted weight for socks regardless. I can't remember the process well, so I am basically relearning and want to knit normal socks with fingering weight and the proper fibers. I will be using magic loop (which I'm obsessed with) and doing toe-up two at a time. No second sock syndrome for me, thanks. I will be following a KAL on knitfreedom.com and am looking forward to branching out to different patterns and heels and such once I get the basics down. Any suggestions/input would be welcome!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          If you already know magic loop you should be fine, but we're all here to help if you need it. I also knit socks TAAT, so any unintentional design enhancements get done to both socks.

Sings4joy is donating this month’s prize from her Earthwise Emporium store this month - you get to choose from one of these bags!

Thank you so much for sponsoring this month’s KAL!! Please show her store some love.

Click image for larger version  Name:	15350830-08F3-4FB7-9499-4003BC693406.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	56491

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          Lovely and useful! Thank you Sings4joy! Not sure I'll be finishing any socks this month at the rate I'm going but hope springs eternal.

• Sings4joy
          Sings4joy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you lovestostitch I have a couple of my own that I keep crochet hooks in and another for some dpns. I'll be making some larger project bags :-)

• Sings4joy
          Sings4joy commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses thank you! A friend of mine would tell me "Slow and steady wins the race" :-D

Char and FreedomLover I'm so happy to join in the fun!!
        https://friendsofpineridgereservation.org
        http://mccny.org/mccnycharities.html
        http://warmthforwarriors.com
        http://hatsforsailors.com
        https://www.projectlinus.org

what does the Lord required of you?
        To act justly and to love mercy and walk humbly with your God.

Comment

Thank you all!! So glad you like the pouches
          https://friendsofpineridgereservation.org
          http://mccny.org/mccnycharities.html
          http://warmthforwarriors.com
          http://hatsforsailors.com
          https://www.projectlinus.org

what does the Lord required of you?
          To act justly and to love mercy and walk humbly with your God.

Comment

Seeing Snoogins is a sock expert too - we should make sure she finds our KAL here!

Comment

• Snoogins
              Snoogins commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! Although the term "expert" should be used loosely when it comes to my sock knitting abilities. I am just very resourceful 😁 Love the pattern! No purple sock yarn though. But I have a PERFECT beach themed item for the picture! I may post and not enter the contest this time around just to have some fun.

• FreedomLover
              FreedomLover commented
              Editing a comment
              I look forward to seeing it.

I wasn't sure exactly what was the appropriate place to post this so I hope this is okay. I received my yarn from LizB for winning the April sock knitalong. It is absolutely scrumptious as is everything in her shop. Made my day. I'm having a really huge MG flare this month so I can only knit for minutes at a time right now. But I hope to get this beauty on the needles very soon. She sent several super sweet extras that really made me smile as well. What nice people we have here on Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200610_150923.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	57162 FiberKind.
            Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

• lovestostitch
              lovestostitch commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sorry you are having a flare-up. Can you browse the internet during a flare? You could browse and make plans for your pretty yarn! I hope you feel better soon.

• KnitsWithHorses
              Editing a comment
              lovestostitch I can some but it can be frustrating. My eyes won't focus and I can't sit upright for very long so it becomes a bit of a comedy of errors. Mostly just listening to podcasts and watching TV. This is the first time in many years it's gotten this bad. I sure hope it lets up soon. My kids literally bright my little goat into the house to cheer me up. I'm such an outside person so I'm going stir crazy for sure.

• lovestostitch
              lovestostitch commented
              Editing a comment
              KnitsWithHorses - Have you tried audiobooks? I love reading books and I love knitting so I hated that I would have to make a choice between the two. So I tried audiobooks and I love them. I listen all the time - cooking, cleaning, gardening and knitting.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
          X