This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

July 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Let's be patriotic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Let's be patriotic!

Click image for larger version  Name:	513B7EFA-0BF4-4A9C-A145-11D57BC3C759.png Views:	2 Size:	4.6 KB ID:	59536

We will be doing our KAL a little differently this month and we'll see how you like it. We will have a theme and a color. You may choose any pattern you like that fits the theme. If it isn't obvious why your pattern fits the theme, explain it to us.

Our theme will be: Patriotic
    If you live in the USA, this can means stars and stripes, eagles, etc. If you live in a different country, please share your country's patriotic symbols when you tell us what pattern you will be knitting.

Normally, we will just have one color of the month but this month our colors are red, white and/or blue if you live in the USA. Any single color or combination will do. If you live in a different country, your colors are the colors of your country's flag.

As always, you can knit any pattern or color you like but you get an extra entry in the prize drawing for using a pattern that goes with the theme and/or using the monthly color.

Chat about the KAL in this thread and post your finished projects in the Finished thread.
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Thank you for taking this on. I believe I have a pair of socks forming in my head. I’m debating on if I want to explore into intarsia or not. Eek! We’ll see what comes up when I get the yarn wound.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +2: YTD -273

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking of short cuts with a blue cuff with white beads and red and white striped feet!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I love this idea!

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm always hesitant to do Colorwork on socks for fear of making them too tight but I was super surprised at how comfy beaded socks were. I love that idea too!

For anyone seeking a pattern... have you seen the "Team USA" slipper socks... a free pattern by The Chilly Dog, in worsted weight yarn...? It was recently posted in the free patterns group, by KnitsWithHorses, accompanied by a photo of a great pair she knit from this pattern.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	55F875BA-7B5B-4497-BCAD-FF7FE03190A2.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	59960

This is as star shaped as I could get! If anyone wants to try it and needs a chart, I'm happy to share.

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Very pretty!!! The stars turned out great!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        I love that! It's really cute!

Name:	94C610E7-3B61-4894-8035-6A8F7499C08A.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	59989

I'm not going to have enough white to do red and white stripes until the toe. i have plenty of red and blue. Any ideas for how I can use more red or blue?

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Char - just saw your suggestion today since clicking on notifications isn't always taking me to the new post. I'm missing comments unless I happen to find them.

I really wanted a blue toe to stand out so I am doing TAAT and using up the red and white and hoping I make it to the toe. I'm doing a big patch of red and I think I'll put some white on the
        arch.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        lovestostitch there is a pictorial in the How to’s section (post #8):

https://fiberkind.com/forum/general/...’s-and-faq-s

But essentially:
        Click on notifications
        Then click on notifications again
        You will see a “filter” option. Click that, then click on “both”. You’ll see all notifications - even those the system has assumed you have read. :-)

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        lovestostitch Char - I have occasionally experienced an anomaly with Notifications. I find that when a comment has scrolled up into "previous comments" due to a number of newer comments being posted, Notifications will take me to the Forum, Sub-forum, and topic post, but necessarily to the reply post, or to the scrolled comment.

It is not immediately apparent, but eventually I find comments that were posted days earlier.

I'm knitting a plain blue pair of socks. If I am to understand, a single color works for this. Not very good at colorwork.

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! Absolutely Glad to have you along.

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Any pair of finished socks count as an entry for the prize drawing. If you use the monthly color, you get an extra entry and if you follow the theme, you get another entry.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        keidamkyo, I'm just checking in to see how your socks are coming along?

Stash diving yielded some red Carlton merino sport, so I think I'll be making these.

https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knit...ks-from-Patons
      Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

I found a sock pattern that looks challenging and perfect for our patriotic theme. It’s toe-up with a short row heel, and the pattern shows a bright red sock. I have some red which I will use for this month’s socks.

i wasn’t able to post a link, but the pattern is in Knit Picks, a free download. It’s called “July Stars and Strips Socks”.

Mod Edit:
        Stars and Stripes Socks
        Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD +9 YTD +180

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the link, that's now on my list of things to make.

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          I added the “how to” to the How To’s section! :-)

https://fiberkind.com/forum/general/...aq-s#post60612

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Char - now I can hopefully do this myself. By the way, your how-to section is great with all the pictures and diagrams ❤️❤️

Char gifted me a skein of Cascade Yarns Heritage Prints Color 52 and I used some of it with stash white yarn to make Chevron socks. I cast on with it again to make summer shorties and have a mindless project. Back in the day I would have called this a purse project but I'm not going anywhere that I wait these days.

Name:	20200706_082501.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	60699
        Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the beauty of the yarn, it almost knits itself.

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          Ooh I LOVE this yarn!!!! These are going to be really lovely socks!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too!

Sooooo, if I wanted to learn how to knit socks, how long do you think it would take a non-knitter?

Comment

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses Yes, I can see the passion here for knitting socks so won't feel too bad looking for more advice and asking questions.

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses I knit socks TAAT on one long needle these days, but I also love those tiny little sticks. They're especially great for knitting in public, people can't help but look and try to figure out what you are doing.

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL FreedomLover That's exactly what scares me about them! I first saw socks being made with them in a hospital waiting room years ago. Not wanting to intrude, I instead kept sneaking peeks but had absolutely no idea what they could possibly be making (until recently). Maybe someday though, I never say never.

I am hoping to finish one paire of socks this month. In June I was having numbness in my hands so I finally gave up after 3 tries and failing. I couldn't find a pattern that tickled my fancy so I decided to try a mosaic stitch pattern and just plug in to my favorite sock technique. This one is called The North Star, and I am using Wool Like yarn. The stitch pattern is written to knit flat so I had to convert it to knit in the round, fingers crossed they get finished 🤞

Name:	20200706_172525.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	60869

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
          Rose the Rebel commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you all so much! qfknit I love the rounded toe cause I have Flinstone feet, the wedge toe just doesn't work for me. pinesprairie no math, I just take the wrong side rows and work them backwards. I have never found a pattern that I haven't changed so it makes sense to me.

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          Rose the Rebel you do beautiful colorwork! Mine usually looks puckered..... great job!

• Rose the Rebel
          Rose the Rebel commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you knitter131 my toes only lay flat when they are from but only view. On the side view they get that cupping effect. You make beautiful socks and toes all the time, I haven't seen any that look puckered!

Just so y'all don't think I've forgotten, I had to come back and start reading everything again. There is so much helpful information there and I'm going to have to take it a bit slowly. I'm still working on a couple of crochet blankets for the grands and can't disappoint them but will be back every day.

Comment

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses It's so good to be blessed like that! I know exactly what you mean, I too thought the requests would stop but they haven't. They ask for things that cause me to spend time in the child world to even figure out what they are but it's so fun to try. We've certainly had some laughs at a few of the attempts to recreate.

I love your idea of hand dyeing yarn with them and then knitting it up. The younger one would really like that I think. What did you use for dye?

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          How wonderful!

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          pinesprairie with the kids I pretty much only use food dye with vinegar or else koolaid. My granddaughter who is turning 13 and is very artistic wants to learn to make natural dyes, as do I but we haven't yet. I live on a homestead so we have lots of resources for it. The koolaid is by far the simplest since it already has citric acid, isn't harmful (although it can be harmful to those who actually drink the stuff but that's another rant for another time and place. lol) I think in the Stashbusting MAL thread you can find pictures of Ryley(12) and Sawyer's (10) first go. So much fun!!!

Today I went back and read quite a bit of what's already been posted about needles. Based on the success stories and recommendations, I think I'm going to start with the 2 short circs (catching on here). Regardless of assurances otherwise, I do expect a few odd looking items to begin with. I like the idea of the Magic loop so if I can get to where my socks look like socks, I'd like to give it a try.

I understand about high quality items and know that if you have the 'right' tool for the job, the job is always much easier.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          Wait. I have grand blankets to finish! I'm just preparing. Collecting what I might need. Gathering information.

Okay, maybe on the hook.

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          If you get ready to try magic loop, look for videos on how to do TAAT Toe-up. It will rock your world. TAAT stands for two-at-a-time.

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          Appreciate that KnitsWithHorses!

​ ​​​​​​
        I didn't get to knit socks AT ALL in June so I'm very excited.... A few more inches in the never ending wrap (test knit) and I can start making patriotic socks!! I need some royal blue though... or a more subtle shade of red. I think a trip to the yarn shop may be required but sadly I can't go. We are under quarantine until my daughter's test results come. But my DIL will go for me. 😁
        (Please excuse the unmade bed.... My routine is all out of whack these days.)
        Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
        Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +43 WTD -3

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh no - I don't see your pictures! Can you try again?

I look forward to seeing your wrap and your soon to be socks!

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses The link to the photo isn't working for me, can anyone else see it?

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          That is weird, it is working for me. I'll try it again. You might have to refresh the page after....

Name:	IMG_20200709_121532.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	61460 Trying again...
        Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
        Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +43 WTD -3

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses - you might be able to cover everyone in your pew! (In a social distance responsible way of course).

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          Char 🤣🤣🤣 That's actually a consideration since my pew is usually all my family!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the colors you have here.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X