LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

August 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Think Garden Harvest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Think Garden Harvest!

Our theme this month is: Garden Harvest. You can be creative in your pattern choice - just tell us how your pattern makes you think about harvesting a garden.

This month's color is: Green - for all those zucchinis being picked!

As always, you can knit any pattern or color you like but you get an extra entry in the prize drawing for using a pattern that goes with the theme and/or using the monthly color.

Chat about the KAL in this thread and post your finished projects in the Finished thread.
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Started these socks this morning, I was excited to get going on them. I hunted around for some “Harvest” socks, and found some free from Knit Picks called “September: First Harvest Socks”. They are toe up, with two different charted patterns, lace, twisted stitches and cables. The greens in this hand dyed yarn remind me of green peppers, cukes , and zucchini. Yarn is Ice Hand Dyed Sock Yarn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EB5802FA-6BC0-4F9E-BD7A-B01FBF9E82E9.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	65152
    Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD +4, YTD -34

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      These are perfect!

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely perfect! And I love that tonal green!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes that green is very nice. It reminds me of the variations in the field crops as you drive by.

I'll be finishing the ones I started on May 31st because I thought it was June 1st. 😂 I then set them aside to work on the Neverending Wrap test knit so they are still just sitting there with one day of work done on them. I dug them out last night hoping my notes were with them in the project bag but no such luck. So I had to deconstruct the lace pattern and figure out my pattern from what was already done. Let's hope I got it right.... I'm finishing up my Home of the Brave shorties and then I'll get to work on these. I was designing then with Spring Gardens in mind and there's plenty of green so hopefully they will count for everything except the start date.
    These are called Ryley's Garden because my granddaughter, Ryley, dyed the yarn and I'm knitting them for her. She turns 13 this month. I'll also be making gentle fit slipper socks for Pine Ridge in honor of my mom. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200801_114432~2.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	65163
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -34 WTD -12
    2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
    National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      Thanks pinesprairie I'm actually grandma but the point is still true. 😊 She's a very Knitworthy kid.

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      FreedomLover I was pretty impressed too! That day was the first attempt for either of us and hers came out really nice! And I couldn't believe how well it coordinated with Cascade Heritage green for the contrast. She's a pretty artistic kid so I foresee a lot more yarn dying in our future. 😁

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right. Mom or Grandma is beside the point. I hope y'all have a lot of fun dying, they really like it when they had a piece of the making! The more you do, the more her talent grows and it's all memory making no matter what.

Hey knitters! To go along with our Garden Harvest theme, you can earn an extra entry into the prize drawing by posting a picture of your finished socks taken in your garden. Then tell us a little something about your garden. Weedy pictures allowed!!

Comment

Name:	B264A91D-8039-48BB-9F4A-E8D54205D2A9.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	65736

I started my "Garden Sprinkles" socks. The body of the socks will be green with pink cuffs, heel and toes. The pattern makes a simple textured sock. After a hard day of gardening and processing, I need a simple pattern!

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you on simple--right now I need a pattern that is easy and mindless with all the gardening and canning! I'll have to dig out my green yarn and get to work!

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        ooo, these are happy ones, I like them already!

• MusicalKnitter
        MusicalKnitter commented
        Editing a comment
        These reminded me of watermelon. I think I must have it on the brain.

Hi everyone!!! I made this bag for our Garden Harvest prize this month! :-). Hope you like it!!

Name:	6FA8BAFF-66A0-4ADF-8658-E06CEFA8A4A3.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	66359
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +106; YTD +246
      Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect prize for this month!

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Love love love it!!! I think I've mentioned that I am vegetarian, right? Where did you find that fabric?

• MusicalKnitter
        MusicalKnitter commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great one!

Oh this is absolutely perfect for this month! You do such nice work.

I don't know how this happens - I think I'm posting a comment and it's a post. User error, I know, I know.

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. :-). It’s all good.

Just a little update that I am working on socks this month just have limited time on them so slow going. I am sure I'll finish both these pair within the month though. They were both started before the first so they have to be finished before I can post them.
      The shorties are almost done but Ryley's Garden are supposed to be knee socks so i still have a ways to go on them.

Name:	20200817_075328.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	67425
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
      ~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        I still love those red, white, and blue.

When you have time, I'd love to see a better picture of the Ryley's Garden socks to see the pattern in action.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, me too on liking the red white & blue ones. And Riley's going to love those socks whenever you get them done.

Char how's this?

Name:	IMG_20200817_105035.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	67465
      Natalie from Oklahoma

~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        Do I detect a panel of leaf lace...?

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Thanks y'all! 🥰. qfknit basically yes. I was kind of going for head of cabbage or kale blooming. 😁

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Gorgeous! I love that this started with hand dying and is ending with these gorgeous socks.

Here's my start of green socks. This is only green sock yarn in my stash. And it's not enough for a pair of socks, so cuff, heel and toes will be of different colour. I'm using a beautiful leaf pattern, one which I use for Fiberkind Birthday blanket squares.

Name:	IMG_20200819_174639.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	67809
      2021 Stashbuster MAL WTD +6, YTD +83
      Reading Challenge 5/40
      Cross Stitch 2/12
      Craft month goal 1.41/2 miles

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        These are going to be beautiful.

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, yes, such an enchanting knit stitch pattern... the cables and leaves...!
        It works up GREAT on your socks, Natalia .

I recall the stitch pattern was from Knitting Kingdom...!
        I think it is this one - Leaf, Cable, Rope, and Lace knitting stitch.

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Those colors really look great together and the cables are super nice

My first sock! About to start the heel turn. What fun! Based on "The Perfect Baby Sock" by Denine Currie.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200825_113702.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	69205
      Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD +4/YTD -162 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
      Book Challenge 17/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
      Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        OMG! Should have noticed the hook!
        So there’s hope for me! I look forward to seeing more.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        These are so cute! I love the colors and welcome to the addiction that is sock making, there is something about turning those heels.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        TexasPurl, it looks like you maybe could be thinking about a Tunisian Sock Class after we complete our blocks & blankets!

There's only three more days until the end of this month's sock KAL. Don't forget to post your pictures of your finished socks on the finished page.

This also means it is only three more days until we start our September sock KAL. I'm going to post the chat thread so if you know what you are going to knit for September, you can start sharing.

Comment

These are the last finished socks for August. My vanilla sock recipe on 72 sts, 2.25mm 9-inch circular needle. Knitpicks Static in the Rooster colorway. I've worn them once and the sole is already felted a bit. I think the other skein of Static in my stash will become something other than socks.

Name:	20200830_131053.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	70539
        Attached Files
        There are no knitting police.
        -Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          They are beautiful.

• qfknit
          qfknit commented
          Editing a comment
          MusicalKnitter - the socks which do not wear as well could still be good bed socks on a chilly night.

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          I really do love that colorway! Maybe some mittens or a hat...

I received my garden project bag today. Thank you Char!

Name:	8000528C-B0BD-4CC5-B4B0-BDC023231F45.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	71889

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! I hope it holds many happy crafty things for you.

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Everyone who knows me will know it is the perfect project bag for me - knitting and gardening - my two favorite things!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          It's perfect for you, I'm so glad you won this prize.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X