This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

September 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Back to School

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September 2020 Sock KAL Chat - Back to School

Our theme this month is: Back to School. You can be creative in your pattern choice - just tell us how your pattern makes you think about going back to school.

This month's color is: We have a change from just yellow. This month's color is now any color that matches a pencil. To get the entry for color, you post a picture of your finished socks with whatever pencil you have that matches your yarn color.

As always, you can knit any pattern or color you like but you get an extra entry in the prize drawing for using a pattern that goes with the theme and/or using the monthly color.

Don't forget to check out Char's free back to school sock patterns in the Marketplace. There is one for pencil socks and one for notebook paper socks. These are the pencil socks I made in the past for my daughter (a teacher) and my grandson.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7480E593-20A0-4086-9F98-C4F4A222035B.png Views:	0 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	70079

Chat about the KAL in this thread and post your finished projects in the Finished Thread.

Thank you pinesprairie for donating a mini Bento project bag for our September prize. Please see post #5 to see a picture of the cute bag.
    Last edited by lovestostitch; 08-31-2020, 12:05 PM.
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

This should be good motivation for me to get a new pair on the needles!

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you going to do the pencil socks or do you have something else in mind? My grandson loved his pencil socks but has already outgrown them. I need some yellow yarn. I might try dyeing some.

• Renna_Gayle_Knits
      Renna_Gayle_Knits commented
      Editing a comment
      lovestostitch I probably won't be doing the pencil socks, though I do like them. I don't have any yellow yarn in my stash, and after spending over $100 at Hobby Lobby last week on their clearance yarns, I promised my hubby I wouldn't be buying yarn anytime soon. So, socks from stash it is!

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, it's been forever since I was able to ship an actual clearance sale. I dread to think what I'll spend when I get the chance!
      I posted a pair of red, white and blue socks in the green garden month. All socks count!

I think I'll try some pencil socks. My yellow is abit brighter yellow than a standard ✏️ but I think it will look fine. And this time I'll make sure it's actually the 1st before I start them! Lol
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
    Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +43 WTD

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Any yellow will look good!

You guys are going to have me giggling all over again with Char 's Pencil Socks. Not to mention the Paper Socks. One of these days when the right yarns have jumped into my cart . . .

Comment

Oops, I didn't follow the theme for the month but made this mini Bento bag that I thought might make a fun prize this time. It is meant to be untied to put your items in and then tied to close. You run your yarn out the hole and can "wear" it on your wrist.

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Love it!! It has kind of a 70s vibe. 😁

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, pinesprairie - I love the idea, and the bag is beautiful! Thanks for donating this for our SKAL 😊😊

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I'm curious to see if it works like they say.

Next month I will do better and make something that fits the theme!

I have found my pattern for this month Back to School Socks by Melanie Smith. I have an old Crazy Zauberball in a very colorful combination ( I lost the ball band years ago) that I'm going to use. I figure crazy is what back to school is this year so it's a good fit.
      There are no knitting police.
      -Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Crazy is right! I hope things level out for you and all the other teachers.

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this pattern, I will also be using it for this months socks! Thanks, MusicalKnitter for the pattern πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• MusicalKnitter
        MusicalKnitter commented
        Editing a comment
        knitter131 you're welcome

So ... do the pencils HAVE to be yellow? I see pencils of all colors, even multi color.... :-)
      Knitting is happening here! ❀️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +27; YTD -246

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea!

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the idea of team colors pencils! I also seem to remember pencils being green, were those the giant ones we used as small children?

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        My first pair of pencil socks absolutely needs to be YELLOW (iconic). Now my second pair, hmmm . . . ., that could possibly be a different color, nice thought!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200831_201939.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	70876 I have my yarn gathered and ready to cast on tomorrow. 😁
      ​​​​​​​
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

Oh no! I was so excited to start my new socks that I started them yesterday.......

Then realized TODAY is the first of the month πŸ˜”.
      But I can still post my completed socks in the finished thread.
      Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD - 6, YTD + 174

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        That's what I did in July, I think. Then i didn't end up working on them again until August. Lol

I promised to make my grandson another pair of pencil socks because he outgrew the last pair. I needed yellow yarn. I thought about dyeing some but all I have is merino/nylon and that isn't as sturdy as what a four-year-old needs. I found a small ball of the remaining Opal I had used and the first pair I made for my grandson that he never wore because they were way too small. I'm unraveling the small pair and with the small ball I hope to have enough for a short cut pair. He lives in Texas so short cuts are his favorite. Most of the time, he doesn't even wear socks but I think he will like his pencil socks for special days at school. He has it in his head that Fridays are special and he saved the outer space t-shirts I sent him for Fridays. I think he will like pencil socks for Fridays!

One of the tiny socks and the just started sock:

Name:	3F0E4DAB-DDFB-42FC-B1B4-D5125E3955EE.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	71193
      Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Oh I miss the days of making little leg warmers for my daughter's and granddaughter for gymnastics and dance classes. But she has completely lost interest in dance. And the rest are all boys!

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my, definitely pencilicious!

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        KnitsWithHorses, we have three granddaughters and one grandson, and the girls are the first ones born into my FIL's line since the 1940's. I never thought I'd have granddaughters.

It's kind of fun doing a pair of cuff down socks again for a change. I use the Old German cast on. Do any of y'all cuff down folks have a cast on preference?
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too, same: plenty stretchy without being sloppy or wavy.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        I do a cast on that I kinda made up myself. It uses both needles, very stretchy, and I like how it doesn’t look loose at the top. :-)

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a long tail cast on.

My pencil socks are officially underway! I LOVE this pattern Char It is rare that I don't have an urge to change up a pattern but this one is just right as it is.

Name:	IMG_20200902_220435.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	71315
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

I got my back to school socks cast on September 1st. Here is the first pic I've had a chance to take. First time doing two at a time. I like it so far. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200903_124325.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	71411
      There are no knitting police.
      -Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your colors and I'm glad to hear you like TAAT. When I finally get to socks, I think I'm going to try that as well.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I love doing TAAT, I'm so glad to hear it's going well for you. I love the colors you're using.

Hi all. I’m not sure how well this fits with the theme but the colors seem a little schoolish to me. I really like doing short socks for the boys so this will be the first of however many I can get done for Christmas.

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
        Rose the Rebel commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it fits well and the color combo reminds me of boys polo shirts and t shirts from back in the day.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Great colorway for boys.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        These are looking great.

This probably wasnt the best day for me to have to do math. Lol But I refigured the heel for my stitch count and got the heels done. 😁 I am definitely out of practice on flap and gusset heels. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200905_182218.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	71866
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the kind comments. πŸ€—

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        These are great! (It kinda scares me though, all those little sticks. Hehe).

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        pinesprairie my short circs are in use on other projects right now so DPNs it is. Honestly I enjoy DPNs as that's what I learned to do socks and baby hats on many years ago. I do remember how awkward it felt til I got used to them though.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X