LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Soft socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft socks

I just have a general question about sock comfort. I just knit these socks with malabrigo and potions yarns dryad (which has cashmere) in DK weight and they arent rough, but they hurt the ball of my foot when i walk. Ive never done DK weight socks before, is this normal with a larger stitch? For comparison, i made some socks out of a scratchier wool in fingering weight and they dont feel this rough. Feels like im stepping on velcro! 😞
    Stashbusting MAL 2020: WTD=12, YTD=-69

Snoogins - I have experienced that effect with a larger stitch which was too large for the weight of the yarn. It was like stepping on a fishing net! Unfortunately, a bit like the proverbial pebble in one's shoe.

I think they may still be great as bed socks... to keep your feet cozy when sleeping.
    Just change to slippers when you get up!

Comment

I use dk weight a lot for socks and haven't noticed discomfort. What size needle are you using? Some people do prefer a princess sole (like princess and the pea) where you purl the sole.
      Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        KnitsWithHorses commented
        Editing a comment
        When you knit stockinette stitch, the wrong side of the fabric is reverse stockinette. So if you turn your ordinary sock inside out you would know how it feels to walk on the reverse stockinette. Basically, you would be walking on the smooth flat side of the knitting with the textured side facing out. To get reverse stockinette on the right side of something knit in the round, you purl every row on the stitches in question. I can see the appeal with a thicker yarn or if you have sensitive feet.

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said, KnitsWithHorses! Great description of reverse stockinette!

• Snoogins
        Snoogins commented
        Editing a comment
        Char i may be a tight knitter bc i use 8s for worsted! 🤪 6 for dk unless im knitting something like a stuffy, then ill go down to 3 or 4.

Snoogins I like my socks to have a really tight gauge. These socks are dk weight yarn and I knit them on sz. 1.5.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9D1D5BD-ABD6-4BE8-9B79-6385A8BA1358.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	78574

Click image for larger version

Name:	0F74AB61-E2ED-4B98-AE0F-67F61C51447A.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	78573
      Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        My favorites are socks knit on 000.

• Pegg Thomas
        Pegg Thomas commented
        Editing a comment
        Depending on the yarn/pattern, I use a size 1 - 3, but never larger.

• crosstitchlinda
        crosstitchlinda commented
        Editing a comment
        Using fingering weight yarn, I knit on a size 00 (1.75mm) needles for socks. This gives me about 8 stitches per inch, and I cast on 64 stitches.

I have that same problem with crochet socks and I won't even make them anymore. Maybe as someone suggested making the gauge tight. I use smaller needles on the heel and toe area because I always get holes there when I wear them in shoes. Maybe that helps with comfort. I would love to know how your experiments turned out.

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X