LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Sock Knitters United

Additional sock knitting resources and past activities can be found in our Sock Knitters United group:

https://fiberkind.com/sguncategorize...nitters-united
2 of 2 < >

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

April 2021 Sock KAL - CHAT

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t know how I am ever going to knit one color socks again!
    2021 Stashbuster MAL Week Ending 4/10/21= (+1) YTD =+20

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Texture!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Solid colors are great with cables and lace patterns.

• PurlgirlButtons
      PurlgirlButtons commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess I should have said one strand, I am all about the stripey yarns anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	94641
    Since I’m not going for the prize, I am posting a progress pic, I am in love with this technique! I decided on fraternal twins.

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect month to donate a prize since you were so eager to get started on your scrappy socks! They look great. Don't forget to post which skeins you chose. That would be a good picture for the finished post. It's so fun to see how the scraps blended together.

Be sure to take a picture of the scraps you use before you make your socks so you can post them in your monthly color post. It's fun to see how the colors blend together. Take a picture of just the scraps you use, not your scrap stash. Like this:

These scraps

Name:	CDC2FE37-030B-42D6-8411-E0FC2FE694FD.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	94665
    blended into these socks (In my real post, they will be finished socks.)

Name:	AF8DEB96-DFE2-43FB-BAC8-21D42AE3F6E6.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	94666
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

National Craft Month Progress - 1,117.75 yards

Comment

PurlgirlButtons - I added a theme and color to our Sock KAL Schedule just for you! Check out August.

https://fiberkind.com/forum/knitting...k-kal-schedule

Comment

Here is the yarn for my first pair. They will be for my son who wears a size 14 shoe. So it's a good thing I enjoy this technique! I'm hoping to also make a pair for the youngest daughter this month and she wears the same size shoe as her brother. She's also almost 2 inches taller than him at 6'3" tall so not that odd.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210331_213803.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.5 KB ID:	94693
      Last edited by KnitsWithHorses; 04-16-2021, 07:59 PM.
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
      ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -24 WTD +4
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
      National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        You need big scrappy balls of yarn for those two! With my size 11.5 feet, I don't have much left if I knit socks with legs. My three scraps for this month's socks were from three pairs of short cut socks.

KnitsWithHorsesPegg Thomas - Will you please delete your posts on the Finished thread? Posts are for finished entries only so we can do the random number generator for the prize. Normally, you can post your compliments as comments but the first post doesn't allow comments. You can compliment PurlgirlButtons in the Chat thread!

Comment

• Pegg Thomas
        Pegg Thomas commented
        Editing a comment
        **sigh** Messed it up again.

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Pegg Thomas - Not a big deal. It is weird that the first post doesn't allow comments. I just hated to confuse people by starting with two chat posts.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Oops.

Well I am off to a ... far-from-perfect start but I'm still liking it. My son never minds the imperfections. I usually do both socks simultaneously but I forgot to make the white yarn into 2 balls. I started this way too early in the morning I think. On the other hand, I love having the 3 balls in this bowl as I just turn it a tick to the right every time I change colors and never have to untangle the strands.
      Edited - I went to my yarn storage to put away some things and found another partial ball. It's just Woolike beige and I knew I had several partial balls but didn't want to go digging for them. Lol I also found a partial ball of Stroll fingering in green so I added that to my pile of potential colors for the second pair. Now I can start the second sock. I'm relieved because I really do prefer working on them at the same time.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210401_133745.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	94755
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
      ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -24 WTD +4
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
      National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering if there was a trick to prevent the tangled mess I have to keep untangling. I'm going to give a bowl a try! Thanks for sharing the tip.

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        Looking good! I am already thinking about my second pair, too!

My first sock is done and I love how the colors blended. You can't see the helical effect because two of my yarns had drastic color changes so they don't give a striped effect. The color I used for the cuff, heel and toe is one of my three colors.

I'm posting it here because I started it before April 1 so I don't get an official finished post for it.

My yarns:

Name:	C509E421-61F3-4399-B249-7A65D4B1B86B.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	94858

My sock:

Name:	0DB1E838-6E8C-418F-81D2-27E3A4616D00.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	94859

Comment

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        I love how it turned out .

• Pegg Thomas
        Pegg Thomas commented
        Editing a comment
        I like how it turned out too. Unique!

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        It's really pretty. The 3 colourways played together quite nicely.

Scrappy Helical Socks Progress Report: Through the heels plus 2 75".

Name:	IMG_3703.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	95089

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        They are looking good!

Hello! I’m brand new here and would love to jump in and participate in learning this new technique!

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome! Do jump in and join us. Just ask if you have any questions.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Yay! The more the merrier!

Here is my pile. Trying to decide if I should be truly adventurous in my scrappiness and use that sparkly Christmas yarn or not. Maybe I’ll use it for the heels, toes, and cuffs and have myself a really whacky pair of ugly Christmas sweater socks...

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Oh I think I have a new tradition to establish now. Lll I've never been into making ugly sweaters but I could definitely get into making an annual pair of ugly socks. ☺

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        They won't be ugly! They will be colorful. I have a pair I made with lots of scraps and there was sparkly in the mix. I spread it out so it wasn't one blob of sparkle and the sparkle here and there looked great.

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like fun!

It’s official, I’m addicted to helical knitting. Already planning a cowl and hat...

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't wait to see your socks. I am thrilled with the color blending I am getting.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I think helical is great for hats! It makes the cutest spiral at the top as you decrease. Haven't tried a cowl though. Maybe I'll do one of those too.

Yay! I'm done with pair #1! Isn't it amazing that it took me a week, and it took me 3 months to knit my "January" Socks? I'm almost ready to start another pair, but think maybe I should work on my other handspun socks for a bit.
      Here is what I'm thinking for the next pair. Click image for larger version

Name:	File_001 (4).jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	95639

Comment

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        I think those yarns would go very good together ! can't wait tosee them!

Since I have only made 1 pair of sock-weight socks in my life so far, I don't really have many scraps to choose from to make my scrappy, helical socks. I do, however, have a TON of sock yarn, because I have awesome knitting friends who have sent me a total of about 25 skeins of sock yarn since they heard I'm getting into knitting socks! So I just chose two of my sock yarns that I like together and am going to make my helical socks with them. The purples in both yarns are almost the same, one is just a couple of shades darker than the other, and the turquoise and pink look really pretty together, so I'm confident that the end result will be very pretty (there really isn't as much white in either yarn as the picture makes it seem, I think it was because of the flash). I understand the technique, because I've done it before with hats and I've watched a few videos just to make sure, and I'm going to do exactly the same pattern that I did with my green socks from March, so hopefully, the socks will work out well. I've got my gauge swatch done, and I rolled both yarns into single balls since I'm doing one sock at a time, so wish me luck as I get started on my purple, turquoise, and pink helical socks!

Name:	Pink Turquoise Purple Helical Socks Beginning.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	95654
      Cezanne Black Pellett on Facebook, MeWe, and Wimkin

Oh SNAP ✨ we've got DUELLING 🤺and SPEW at Fiberkind Wizarding School! 🔮

Or try out the lvermorny FiberKind Campus

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I bet those will play very nicely together. Can't wait to see them!

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        Those do go together nicely, please share progress pics!

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        those yarns will look great together ! excited to see how it turns out!

Because I have such big feet, my first pair of self-striping yarn socks didn't come out striped, but with funky swirls. I adore my swirly green socks, don't get me wrong, but I REALLY want a pair of cute, feminine, stripey socks and these yarns are coming out perfectly! However, even though I checked my gauge carefully with this yarn compared to my first pair, I just tried them on and I can hardly get the tube over my heel! So, I'm going to have to pull out all my work and go up at least one needle size, so I'm posting the picture of how cute the yarns look together before I pull it all out and start over again! 🤦

Name:	Helix Progress 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	95790
      Cezanne Black Pellett on Facebook, MeWe, and Wimkin

Oh SNAP ✨ we've got DUELLING 🤺and SPEW at Fiberkind Wizarding School! 🔮

Or try out the lvermorny FiberKind Campus

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Those yarns go great together!

You might try a looser cast on. The German twisted cast on is a good go-to. Then a 1x1 ribbing on the cuff

• Nyssareen
        Nyssareen commented
        Editing a comment
        Char I've been meaning to learn some other cast-on methods, including the German twisted, but it actually wasn't the ribbing or cast-on that weren't big enough, those were perfect, the leg just didn't stretch enough to make it over my heel without a struggle. I pulled it all out and went up a needle size and it fits much better now. I also decided to go from a 3x1 ribbing (which is in the pic) back to the 2x2 I used on my first pair since I know that fits well and I'd rather not have to pull it all out again if the 3x1 doesn't end up working.

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        They do look beautiful together.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X