Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Let's see your handspun!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see your handspun!

I love seeing photos of everyones handspun yarn!

My most recent was a 3 ply fractal spin from 4oz. of merino/tussah blend from Samantha J's Fiber Farm (on facebook). I had some fiber left over on the 1st bobbin so my final measurements were 546 yds of 3.55oz. lace weight.

This one also was a 3 ply fractal spin. Finished fractal spin. 3.15 oz. 455 yds. 3 ply. Approximately 24 wpi. Still have singles left on 2 bobbins.

Comment

• Knitnurd
      Knitnurd commented
      Editing a comment
      I am in awe that you can spin a 3ply laceweight!!! And your yarn is so beautiful!

Finally finished some Falkland fiber! Tagged and ready to for knitting (maybe a shawl--not sure yet)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8AD315B0-BB27-4137-8FF8-5D5B71F25155.png
Views:	182
Size:	955.8 KB
ID:	3396Click image for larger version

Name:	54B0A476-1140-4B64-87E1-6C6247D56E0E.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	3394Click image for larger version

Name:	59A13662-7AE2-48EB-B525-90F4FA2CE7A4.png
Views:	175
Size:	966.0 KB
ID:	3395

Name:	78F51841-5B6C-485A-A9EE-1DE9B93CEB2E.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	3393
      Here are some of my other spins from this year. I don’t have the yardage or weights offhand.

Comment

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful spinning!

I’m currently spinning some SW BFL for our Spin De Fleece, which I’ve not yet completed, but here are a few of my favorite skeins I’ve spun previously. My default tends to be light fingering/fingering, so I’m really trying to challenge myself to spin some heavier yarns this year.

Name:	21B4669F-09A0-498B-96A8-1BE01BC4E267.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	3511
      Attached Files

Comment

• AmazedbyGrace
        AmazedbyGrace commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much for your kind words, Stitch81 and Knitnurd! Good luck on the worsted weight, Knitnurd... my next goal is going to be a DK/Sport weight yarn. Please share your progress!

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        They are all gorgeous.

• AmazedbyGrace
        AmazedbyGrace commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much, Bettymo!

Once I get upstairs the wheels will begin to move. Washing clothes and other house stuff. Then the real work can begin. Just joined after moving over from the old unraveled site.

Comment

• Knitnurd
        Knitnurd commented
        Editing a comment
        So glad you've joined us...welcome!!

FINALLY!!!!!
      Some actual spinning! I was beginning to think I would never get upstairs and see my wheels again! This black and grey fleece was from a young ram. I believe he was a Cormo. His fleece was so beautiful I simply had to have it. The family who owned him were doing a fleece shearing demo for a small town fiber festival I was working at and I asked for his fleece after the shearing demo was done. I separated out all of the beautiful greys in the fleece and am almost finished combing it. The fleece is soooooooooooo soft and easy to comb. The staple is almost 5 inches long. The vm comes out so fast and easy I only have to pass the combs thru 3 to 4 times and then I pull the fiber from the combs and pile it into the basket. Have not decided just what this fleece will be, but I seem to see another skirt or dress in my future.

Comment

Three different projects. I'm trying to work on some of the older ones now.

Comment

• Floppy2
          Floppy2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Socks and a spindle too! You go girl!

Got a question for anyone who can answer. What do you do about bobbins that do not spin well? I have oiled the flyer spindle and oiled all that needs oil but I have certain bobbins that simply do not spin as fast or as efficiently as other bobbins. I was examining some of them last night and can't really tell if there is something wrong with the ones that do not take up very well or spin slowly. The flyer is not the problem at all..it is most certainly the bobbins. Do I sort them our and stop using them? I have a Kromski Polonaise and have had it for 10 years. Some of the slow bobbins are 3-4 years old and the good, fast spinners are the original bobbins that came with the wheel. I use scotch tension on my Polly as the double drive does not suit me all that well. I replace the brake band on a regular basis depending on how much I have spun and what I am spinning.

Comment

• MullersLaneFarm
          MullersLaneFarm commented
          Editing a comment
          It could be an oil build up inside the bobbins. Use very fine sandpaper and a dowel rod to remove built up oil.

• Bettymo
          Bettymo commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a couple of bobbins that don't cooperate. I just don't use them.

I think it's the bobbin. I have a Kromski Symphony and one of my Kromski bobbins tends to jam when the bobbin is almost full. If I pause in spinning, I have to use my hand to wind the bobbin a turn or two before it will start up again. I don't have any problems with any other bobbin.

Comment

Merino. 2-ply. 570 yards, 135 grams

Comment

Won't be spun until next year but here is the process of prepping the flax plant for fiber. One picture is of the flax after it has been pulled and left to dry. The immature seeds are on the flax plant. I am not going to rett the flax until next year so I am going to pull the seeds off of the plant so that when it goes into the basement rodents don't decide to have a munching party. The combs are 4-tine wool combs. They make excellent rippers (ripping the seeds off the plants). Because the seeds were immature I fed them to the chickens. Hopefully, by 2020 I will have some of my own flax processing tools.
            Last edited by Floppy2; 07-22-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Bettymo
              Bettymo commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh this is amazing. I haven't spun flax but really want to. I've had a couple of flax plants pop up in my back yard. I think they were from bird feed but not sure. Did you buy seeds for original planting?

• AmazedbyGrace
              AmazedbyGrace commented
              Editing a comment
              That is so cool Floppy2! I have wanted to try to grow flax, but haven't known how to go about it. I look forward to seeing your progress!

• fluidpaint
              fluidpaint commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing! I grew a plot years ago, and spun for an event. Keep working toward growing and processing! Collect the tools as you can, an you will be doing something that is almost a lost art - hand preparation of flax! Wow! I am very impressed! Can’t wait to see the fiber, then the yarn!

Some of my hand spun, most of it is traditional 2 ply ranging from lace to fingering weight. The white is from an Icelandic fleece I got this spring that I processed myself and spun up, still need to dye it.

Comment

Name:	2019-07-24_17-16-23.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	10706Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-24_17-17-03.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	10704Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-24_17-19-37.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	10705
              Some sideways pics of the last few things I've pulled off the bobbins... Left is a 85/15 Polwarth/silk blend from Hobbledehoy, spun up fine for weaving. Center is some kind of Merino/silk blend I got from World of Wool, and I'm aiming for fingering weight on that one -- it's destined for a MMario Rosethorn shawl. Right is another blend from Hobbledehoy, probably involving silk, and also spun up for weaving.

Comment

Here’s the heap of yarns, along with a few rovings that were spun up later, that were used in my latest sweater, the Swirl Coat of Many Colors. I used 19 yarns, and only two of them were almost completely used up. So now, I’m thinking about what to do with all the leftovers. It was a fun spin!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	E58A7016-2894-46CD-B126-78C85CA3768F.jpeg Views:	17 Size:	215.5 KB ID:	10878
                And here’s the sweater, because it’s done and I cannot wear it until cooler weather shows up.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	76753DA5-1D52-4478-BEFC-64537C7600D3.jpeg Views:	17 Size:	121.3 KB ID:	10879Click image for larger version  Name:	BB904C5E-E3C5-427C-B7CD-F698843E7FAA.jpeg Views:	17 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	10880
                ETA clarity
                Last edited by SpinsterJulieB; 07-25-2019, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• Bettymo
                  Bettymo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What a beautiful project.

• AmazedbyGrace
                  AmazedbyGrace commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You did such an outstanding job... I love the colors of your handspun and the finished sweater... so happy and colorful!

• SpinsterJulieB
                  SpinsterJulieB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you all so much! The sweater is sitting in my bedroom, where I can pet it a lot. It’s hard to wait for colder weather to hit, and I’m thinking I will live in it this winter.
              Working...
              X