LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Let's see your handspun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello-I'm new here on Our Unraveled but have been a knitter/spinner for many years. I now only have one spindle and my Ashford Traddy for spinning-downsized when my husband and I retired and moved to a small apartment. I'm recently getting back into spinning -especially spinning down some of the bits and bobs I have in my stash in hopes of getting some of it knit into winter hats, gloves and mittens. I'm finishing up some laceweight singles of Merino/Silk today(called PUMPKINS ON THE VINE) and perhaps next week I will be able to tackle the silk blends and one lovely pound of natural BFL that has been in my stash for quite some time. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 1.23.45 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	442.7 KB ID:	19224
    Last edited by MrsBee; 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi MrsBee, that yarn makes me want the fall spices to come out of the cupboard - beautiful. Did you see that there might be a spinning event coming up in October? Here is that topic:
      https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/sp...spinning-event

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, and welcome, MrsBee! Lovely yarn, lovely color. Pumpkin spice latte, move over! So glad you are back to spinning in your small apartment. Don’t know if you are able to think about an e-spinner or not, but that is what I use. I have MS, and can’t coordinate my feet like I used to, so I moved to an e-spinner (Hansen). The footprint for the spinner is less than a square foot, and it can easily be stored.

Keep spinning! Glad you’ve joined us!

Thanks Carolota and fluidpaint! Finished the spinning and this is my yarn! I've been so busy spinning and knitting lately that I've been neglecting checking in on the groups I belong to!! I will certainly check out the spinning event you mentioned !

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1100298.JPG Views:	0 Size:	257.0 KB ID:	22615
    Last edited by MrsBee; 08-28-2019, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cheshire.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	33467
      Fresh off the wheel and out of the washtub! This is 580 yards/198 grams of DK-weight Knit Picks Gloss roving (70/30 merino/silk), hand dyed and cable plied for a total of 4 plies. I had originally dyed the white fiber with pink zones, but that was well before I grasped what "weight of goods" meant in dyeing so I got far more pink than I bargained for. The fiber sat for a while until I hit it later on, in the braid, with some purple -- and then the fiber looked like, well...

Anyhow, this is probably destined for a shawl. I haven't picked out a pattern yet, but it probably won't be long until I find one.

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        That's amazing - nice work. I'm laughing at your comparison to the cartoon, but honestly, it is beautiful and quite subtle in my view.

• HeatherAthebyne
        HeatherAthebyne commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks It is a lot more subtle spun up. It was much less so in the braid

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, I see you have the Succaplokki gauge; I have their spinner's control card and really love it. It will be fun to see what you make of your beautiful yarn - hope you will post eventually on that.

I finally got this merino off the bobbin. I plied it a while ago. It still needs washing.
      Can't remember who the dyer was. I think Spunky Eclectic. Spun and plied on my Spinolution Mach II

Click image for larger version  Name:	Merinospin.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	37328

Comment

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        rkennell. Not really sure what it will become yet. The line is long. Thank you!

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        Carlota. It was fun and went fast. I love that part of spinning when the colors slide into each other.

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that is a good description of the fun of watching the colors.

We need to keep this thread alive. I can't think I'm the only one spinning! Now the SdF is done, please feel free to share your work here both from the SdF and any other event or just your own work! I just finished spinning 8 oz of lovely blue alpaca fiber from a local alpaca farm about an hour from here, owned by some friends of ours from church. I've never spun alpaca before, so this was a fun learning experience. Once I figured out the right ratio for me, it spun up beautifully! I was amazed at how fast it spun up. I just bought it last week and as of last night, I have it all done! (Well, singles, anyway. I need to ply it and I'm thinking of spinning up some of my white Lincoln Longwool from my fiber stash. But that means I need to start spinning again! This election season is the perfect time to do spinning--so relaxing and therapeutic!

Name:	IMG_20201021_205915_888.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	79762Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201023_091352_698.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	79763

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        PurlgirlButtons - I'm actually thinking of weaving with it, maybe use it as a weft in a shoulder wrap/shawl.

• PurlgirlButtons
        PurlgirlButtons commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, fun!

• Sommerfugl
        Sommerfugl commented
        Editing a comment
        This is beautiful!

Name:	20201020_210917.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	79898

My spindle-spun, which I'm about to frog. (too big)

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        It's beautiful! But frogging will give you what you want and you won't regret it, I'm sure!! What is the fiber?

• dapncat
        dapncat commented
        Editing a comment
        Corriedale, bamboo and merino/longwood blend "sheepy shells" in Scarlet Witch color from Blaine Fleece and Fiber.

Soon after Spin de Fleece, I geared up for Spin Together through my LYS. I spun some odds and ends and I will post that yardage and a photo of my current spin for SE2SE, which is a striped Jacob roving. It is slow going with plenty of VM but I'm slogging though it. This week I hope to finish prepping some Shetland for a sweater spin. Hope everyone is finding some time for spinning and other creative activities - I'm breathless with all the things I've thought of to do!😂

Name:	IMG_20201010_091420.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	79979Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201024_094433_2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	79980

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, rkennell! I finished the Jacob this afternoon as a 2-ply from a center-pull ball. One skein is worsted weight and the other is super-bulky weight. I learned that I'm not crazy about the choppy look of two already marled singles marling again in the plying. I think this was an important lesson for me. Yet, I don't think this fiber would have been suitable to leave as singles, since it contained a lot of short fibers. So I'm thinking about what I could make with some of these yarns that are less than optimal for wearables (in this case, because of the VM). I'm thinking about trivets and baskets. I have seen some awesome felted potholders that are plain garter stitch.

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful skeins.

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bettymo - they were fun to do and maybe I'll try a Jacob fleece some day.

Wow, you have been very productive. I especially like the stripey Jacob!
      2021 Stashbuster MAL Week Ending 4/10/21= (+1) YTD =+20

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        If I find a cleaner version of what I used, I will be all over it for singles. This batch was not the greatest (short fibers and VM). But it was fun to spin the stripe.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X