728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Spin de Fleece 2021 - CHATTER & Show n Tell (during Tour)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spin de Fleece 2021 - CHATTER & Show n Tell (during Tour)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13182.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	103338

Hello Hello,

As I am writing this, the Tour de France will start in just hours. We can use this thread for our general chatter and Show n Tell.

Feel free to show us lots and lots of pictures of what you are working on!

We Love Pictures!

We also just love hearing how you are doing. So chatter away.
    Stashbuster 2021 WTD= +7; YTD= -23 (7/31/21)
    Oh SNAP ✨ we're DUELLING 🤺 atFiberkind Wizarding School! Let's SPEW.

So looking forward to some time to just "sit (and spin) a spell"! Today's a rainy day (and we NEED the rain desperately, so we're enjoying it), so this afternoon I'll break out my wheel and go to peddlin'--er, treadlin'!! Hey, it IS the Tour de France time as well, right?? Betsy (Ross) is waiting....

Name:	22496171_10212689832513869_156002699122644185_o.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	103241

Comment

This sweater spin project has been 3 years in the making - from raw fleece to twenty 1-ounce batts from a rooed Shetland fleece from west Texas. Earlier in the spring I did a bunch of samples and today's sample (on the little recipe card) has my distillation of what I will try to spin. I have plenty of storage bobbins this time and will rewind and ply first and last bobbins together. This morning I oiled up and got going and will finish my first batt and try to spin about one batt per day. Here are my batts and samples so far. Bobbin shots later.

Name:	PXL_20210608_164748901.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	103273Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210626_211239194.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	103274

Comment

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like you are well prepared !

• Sommerfugl
        Sommerfugl commented
        Editing a comment
        This looks so pretty, and inviting!

Oh, it looks so nice and tempting the way you have it all laid out! Nice work!

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks rkennell - yes, it is Tour de France time too - I haven't tuned in but would like to. I'm spinning where I have the most light - dark out today. Hope you got some rain.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Carlota - We got a lovely 1-inch rain Wed night; it's starting to feel like our fields are catching up on rain, thankfully. And our yard looks much greener!

Today's progress - pleasant to spin and tomorrow should go faster with everything already in motion..

Name:	PXL_20210626_225128756.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	103305

Comment

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking great! Don't forget to post your minutes for each day in the Checkpoint thread. When have measure-able grams and yards, you can post those as well.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        I love your little tray/cup holder!

Hey Hey Hey !

Anyone spinning tonight and want to chat a bit too ?

Please join us for the

Spin de Fleece Kick-Off - Group Video Call
      Saturday, June 26 · 7:00 – 9:00pm Central Time
      Google Meet joining info - Video call link:
      https://meet.google.com/sam-oojk-iut

I've got the room open and am waiting to see who will show up! (While I get my spinning area prepared .. I just got home and haven't had a chance to prepare anything yet!

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        I will just say hello here - am up to my elbows in pizza dough and will be tied up - but will try to join you another time during the SdF if I can.

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum, Pizza Dough! @Carlotta Before I went low carb, I loved making bread and dough. I need to find some low carb alternatives that still taste good, just haven't had much time to experiment yet!

I started spinning my braid today. I remembered to weigh my spindle first so I can keep track of grams spun.
      I've managed to spin around 35 minutes so far. about half of it in the basement waiting for a particularly nasty bit of storm with rotation to blow over, it didn't turn into a tornado, just lots and lots of rain.

Comment

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        That's good progress for day 1! ... Once you know the total for each day, you can post it in the Checkpoint thread. Minutes for each day, and grams and yards as you get measure-able totals.

I spun for 30 min today. I hope to average 10 min per day. With traveling and visiting that is all I can promise. I'"m working on a purchased batt that has lots of "stuff: BFL, Silk, noils, Flax, Nylon, angelina and possibly some bamboo. I bought it at the Michigan Fiber Festival last time I was able to go, 2018 I think. I'm hoping to get there one day at least this summer.
      Linda
      2021 Stasbusting week ending 7/3 WTD = +6 YTD = +102
      2020 Stash busted +160
      Book Challenge 103/150; 27 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
      The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        No promises needed here. We just like to hear how you are doing ! 30 minutes for day 1 sounds great!

We had a good Kick-Off last night, thanks Spice2s! Looking forward to more spinning after I get the lawn mowed this afternoon. It's very humid here today, but I may be able to take over the spare bedroom which has an A/C (I'm not so much worried about me, but don't think the humidity would be good for my wheel! I brought my Nano with me as well, so may get that out to do some porch spinning on the back deck.
      After doing some test spinning and swatching this week with the "Blue Jeans Polwarth" that I dyed, I am estimating that I will get at least 1000 yards of 3-ply. I'm hoping to get enough for a little vest, but we shall see.
      Pictured: a little pic of my Spinning Retreat Center (Our Happy Place) and my wheel ready for SdF. I just purchased this cute metal basket at HomeGoods on Clearance!

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	103350Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	103349
      Spin de Fleece Total Time: 29 hrs Total Grams: 567 Total Yards: 861
      Stashbuster MAL WTD: (-20) YTD: (+5)

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        That's an awesome spinning spot!

• PurlgirlButtons
        PurlgirlButtons commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, relaxing may or may not be in the schedule. Today I took down the shutters (on the other 3 sides of the house). Planned meals for the week and did big groc. shopping, and cooked dinner for myself and my daughter. Tomorrow I will tackle the vines on the hedges on the perimeter. I’m also looking forward to hemming some curtains for the gazebo on our back deck. I am so excited to have that done and then I will relax…except for spinning, knitting, and cooking.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        I enjoyed visiting with you and Tara Saturday night! Enjoy your birthday week! Happy Birthday, by the way (not sure what day it is--so I'll just go ahead and say it. ) That is a cute little cottage and the perfect place for a birthday week/spinning retreat!

After 3 days of spinning bobbin #1 is full enough for a share. I can't believe this is finally happening. I washed and flicked this fleece for my first Spin de Fleece in 2019. It was in limbo waiting its turn in the drum carder, added to the fiber prep tools in 2020. It feels so good to see progress from steady work and to have the encouragement of the community.

Name:	PXL_20210628_212234744.MP.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	103515

Comment

• Sommerfugl
        Sommerfugl commented
        Editing a comment
        This looks great!

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Sommerfugl!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        That is some incredibly beautiful spinning and the fiber is gorgeous! I love that feeling of completion--I had a fleece last year that I processed from start to finish and actually got it all spun. Good for you for keeping track of all the details. d

Here's my progress after the first two days.
      I split the braid lengthwise, and am spinning it as two very fine high twist singles, to be plied together so as to maintain the gradient effect.

Name:	good P1010999.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	103548Click image for larger version

Name:	good P1011003.JPG
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	103549

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        I love those colors! And excellent work!

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        Sommerfugl Is this your homemade spindle? It's absolutely gorgeous.

• Sommerfugl
        Sommerfugl commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you rkennell

Spice2s Yes this is one of them. thank you!
        I have a bunch of these and have fun decorating them. I like them, they work well for me. though admittedly they are the only spindles I have ever used, so I might not be the best judge of what makes a good spindle.

Well, Here's an interesting number.

Do you know what that is?

The time we have spent spinning over Day 1 and 2 of the Spin de Fleece. That's just the 5 people who have checked in.

Well done!

Name:	Day 1 n 2 time spent.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	103575

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        That's amazing, and what a sweet piece of artwork!

• Sommerfugl
        Sommerfugl commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool! I was just wondering about that.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Amazing! Thanks for that update!

Wow--It looks like I'm missing all the fun! I've been on a camping trip and tried to not do a ton of internet stuff; but now I need to read and catch up on what everyone has been doing! I DID take my spindolyn spindle along and got in some spinning time, both at the campsite and in the car while on the road. Here's some pics. I really wasn't going for any amount since I'm not at all a proficient spindle spinner; I use this time to just work on my spindle skills, which are sorely lacking! (I thought I took a picture of me spinning at the campsite, but apparently I just thought about taking the picture! But here's the beautiful view I had! ) And as you can see, I didn't get a lot done, even though I spent about 3 hours! I'm eager to get back to my spinning wheel this evening after I get done babysitting for the day. I enjoy that so much more than the spindle!

Name:	20210629_110129.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	103727Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_165302.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	103728

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you had a little spinning ready for the road - looks good too - you are spinning pretty fine and that takes time. Pretty camping spot!

• Sommerfugl
        Sommerfugl commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a great camping spot! Your spinning looks pretty.

Well I haven't spun a lot, but I have managed a few minutes each day. 10 minutes Saturday and 10 Sunday. Then I changed to a different fiber because I wanted something super easy and enjoyable. 15 minutes Monday and 30 minutes Tuesday. I'm getting ready to spin now.
      it is an Edgewood Garden Studio roving...merino with silk. I'll try for a picture tomorrow.

Comment

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm glad you are able to spin a little each day. We would love pictures of what you've been doing.

If you would like, you can post your times and progress in our checkpoint thread. That's where we are posting so that we can gather statistics for our group for fun, but also to check in for our prizes.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        KikiKnits - sounds like you're finding some time each day--that's great! Looking forward to the pictures!

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        That's pretty stuff!

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        I should have looked at one more post ! Lol .. That is a great photo. Such pretty fiber!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        That's pretty! Silk and merino always look so pretty together and have such a luxurious feel when spinning!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X