This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Spin de Fleece 2020 Chatter for Prep (until the actual event kicks off)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spin de Fleece 2020 Chatter for Prep (until the actual event kicks off)

If you are getting excited about the Spin de Fleece, here is your place to share! As the weeks get closer, we'll organize forums for our individual groups, but for now, if you're prepping a fleece, sorting your stash, or buying a new spindle or wheel, or whatever you're doing to get ready, this is your place to share!

(Oh, no - she said it..... buying a new spindle! - not sure if I dare....)
    Knitting is happening here! ❀️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +27; YTD -246

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to try a Turkish spindle--I've heard great things about them!

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep spying PurlgirlButtons nano ......

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the Nano--I told my husband I am thinking of that one for taking camping!

I have been practicing with some new fiber prepping tools and have finished scouring a Romney fleece. Also, the gray Shetland fleece from last year's event is ready for further action. I hope to get that spin launched soon. Looking forward to seeing what others have lined up.

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      That was a helpful video--thanks for sharing it! I'll certainly give it a try. I got the smaller drum carder yesterday and it is a newer one. I am finding that running it through 3 times does make a smoother spin experience, so we'll see if that happens for the whole fleece. I have rented it for 2 weeks but might find I need more time! But the newer one does work nicely. It's a Brother Baby drum carder. The biggest challenge will be getting all the locks flicked!

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      rkennell That's great - I am finding that getting the locks ready to drum card is taking me quite a while - I'll flick maybe 2 ounces over a couple of mornings and then get them carded, then start spinning in the afternoon, and I can't keep all 3 activities totally in sync but there is progress - some days I don't card because I don't have enough locks ready. It is good to rest one's hands and not strain with any one step for too long. I like my Brother carder and the price is certainly attractive. I would love to have a Clemes and Clemes but they are expensive.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I look forward to seeing your prepping process! Post some pics!

So, I'm wondering if the category teams are going to have catchy names, i.e Romney Rookies, Rambouillet Regulars, Merino Mavericks, Cormo Challengers, etc. ...just a random thought...
    2020 Stashbuster MAL Week Ending 9/19 =
    +6~~ YTD =+6
    Spin de Fleece 🚴 Team Rockin' Rookies πŸ‘ Week 1: 12.25 hrs. Week 2: 5.5 hrs. Week 3: 7:15 GT: 25:10

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your ideas! Those are perfect!

• PurlgirlButtons
      PurlgirlButtons commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I would rather the teams pick their own.

First Spin de Fleece, how much fleece will I need? I know it all depends on how fast, how thick, etc. Does 1.75 lbs sound like enough for a new spinner? I'm thinking of dyeing the bare wool.
    Another Question: Does only spinning count, or can knitting your completed handspun count?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2175.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	66169
    +6~~ YTD =+6
    Spin de Fleece 🚴 Team Rockin' Rookies πŸ‘ Week 1: 12.25 hrs. Week 2: 5.5 hrs. Week 3: 7:15 GT: 25:10

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi PurlgirlButtons - I guessing that 1.75 pounds will keep you busy for a while! For example, when I spin 4 ounces for 3-ply socks, it takes me 10 days spinning maybe an hour or so every day (about 32 wraps per inch). I was looking over the "Official Rules" for Spin de Fleece here: https://fiberkind.com/forum/spinning...de-fleece-2020
      As far as I can tell, the focus is on spinning and participants set their own goals, challenges, and schedule. The idea is to try to spin every day that the Tour de France rides. I certainly plan to prep, spin and use yarn various ways most of the days, but mainly post about the spinning part. Maybe rkennell will comment too. I love having these promises to myself to keep the projects moving ahead a bit every day so that there is some progress. It is exciting to think about and not that far off now. I have all my locks flicked at this point - still working on my first sweater spin.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for answering, Carlota - you are right. You can use this time to do anything spinning related--spinning the singles or plying.

It looks like you have plenty to keep you busy! Of course, if you have lots of time to spin, you might just end up surprising yourself and get it all done! You set your own schedule and challenges.

I ordered some new dyes from ProChem, so I am planning to get some of that bare fiber dyed prior to SDF. I think I will have enough to spin at least 30 min to an hour a day and possibly crank out a pair of mittens before the very end. I'm wondering if I should order a spare drive band and motor before, too. So far, my nano 1.1 is doing very well, but I would hate to have it get out of commission.
    Last edited by PurlgirlButtons; 08-12-2020, 08:47 AM. Reason: ETA: Found out I can get spare Drive belt at the auto parts store for 99 cents, so I guess I won't sweat that!
    +6~~ YTD =+6

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay--be sure to post pictures of your fiber when it's dyed. It might be a good idea to have a spare motor on hand if they're not too expensive. It's good to know you can get the drive band so cheap and so handy! I'm still thinking that the Nano would be handy to get some day to take when we travel or go camping.

So I have to share my funny story about fiber prep. As I've mentioned earlier, I am trying to prep a Shetland fleece and get it carded for spinning. This past week we traveled to northern FL to visit my parents and I brought along my (borrowed) drum carder and my bag of wool with a teaser board to get some more fleece processed into fiber batts. I would work on it in the evenings and store in a laundry basket during the day in Mom's laundry room, which is also where a small bathroom is located for guests to use the restroom. The shetland fleece batts are a fluffy medium brown, about a 10" wide and a little over a foot long. I had them stacked on the top of everything else in the laundry basket so they wouldn't get ruined.

On Sunday we invited some relatives, including my aunt and my adult cousin for Sunday lunch. My cousin decided to go use the restroom and was walking through the laundry room to get there, when I heard a shriek. She had seen the wool batts and had no idea what it was. She thought it was a dead critter of some sort at first. After we stopped laughing, I explained to her what it was. I guess I'm so used to having fiber around that I never thought anything of it, and certainly didn't think about it looking like a critter of some sort!

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awesome!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Carlota - I know, Isn't it, though?! It was just too fun. She asked me --"What IS that???" She was a good sport and had fun with it, thankfully.

I did some pre-Spin de Fleece fiber dyeing this week. I'm sort of new at this, but I think it turned out pretty good for some practice yarn.
    Attached Files
    +6~~ YTD =+6

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I'd say you've nailed it. A cheerful spin, for sure. And gorgeous no matter what you decide to do.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I love those colors! It will be fun to see it spun up!! What fiber is it?

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks amazing, I can't wait to see how it spins up. I'm not a spinner, but I'm looking forward to cheerleading SDF.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2232.JPG Views:	7 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	68776 This was the smallest batt, a gradient of Sea Breeze. I had to Andean ply the last bit, so it looks a lot darker.
    Last edited by PurlgirlButtons; 08-23-2020, 08:07 PM. Reason: ETA: It is just a non-superwash Corrie-mix
    +6~~ YTD =+6

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like you're getting in some practice runs--that's so pretty!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      The color is beautiful!

Readyfox - here is where the Spin de Fleece is gearing up.

Click here for the official rules

Glad to have you along!

Comment

I am clearing off bobbins (I just ordered 4 more last night) and making plans. Found some woefully under-plied fingering weight I’m going to have to run through again. Dug out some braids I forgot I have. Our AC went out today and it’s close to 90 degrees out, so my fiber handling is at a minumum today. πŸ˜’

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Good deal for clearing the bobbins! I need to get mine emptied as well--I forgot about that. So sorry about the AC being out. It's too hot to have that happen!

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch! I hope it's back on soon.

• MollyOMali
        MollyOMali commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, everyone! AC still out, HVAC guy super busy, of course. It’s cooler today, I think, so I might be able to do a bit more.

So I drumcarded all of the remaining 7 oz. of BFL/Coopworth lamb fleece into 1-oz batts, then dizzed them off the drum into 7 very long rovings that are fluffy and ready to spin. I am getting butterflies about diving in for another stretch of days that will enable me to complete the spinning for the Buttonbox Vest, which is a free Knitty pattern by Elizabeth McCarten:
      https://knitty.com/ISSUEss13/KSPATTbuttonbox.php
      And here is my prepped wool and singles spun earlier:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200824_163056.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	69026

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks @PurgirlButtons and rkennell - you guys are going to be hearing about it for a very long time I'm afraid, but I think we all know how that goes with hand made stuff!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Good! We'll learn from your experience.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the vest pattern, thanks for sharing that.

It all looks so marvelous!

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you - this will be my first handspun garment and I'm learning so much. These spinning events certainly help us multi-crafters focus long enough to see progress!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I agree!

So here's how my Shetland fiber prep project is looking. I thought I had a ton of fiber done, but when I weighed it, I found it was less than half a pound!!! I was hoping to have enough for a sweater, but not sure if I'll get 2 pounds out of it or not. (I read somewhere that 2 pounds is average for a sweater) I guess I can always order more Shetland fiber (already cleaned maybe???) to add to it. I'm not necessarily planning to have it all spun by the end of Spin de Fleece, but I'd like to have a lot of it done. I'm also separating out some of the darker color and am curious to see what it will look like in comparison and maybe use it as an accent yarn in whatever I decide to knit with it.

BTW, I have to put in a plug for fancykitty --the owner is a good friend of mine (it's not what you know but who you know--right??!?) and she let me use her own carder free of charge to process this fleece since they're not traveling to shows right now. I have to say, I'm really liking this one. It's not huge, but it's big enough to turn out some nice-sized batts. They also have some larger ones but this one is perfect for just "at home" noncommercial use. This is the 3rd drum carder I've tried this summer and I like it the best of the ones I tried. The first one was an ancient model with a chain link drive belt and old teeth. The 2nd one was a modern Brother carder, but only about 4 inches wide. This one is really the size I'd like to have. I think I'll probably end up purchasing one of these in the near future after I go through withdrawal when I give this one back!

I also purchased her little teaser board (only 20 bucks!) and it is so handy for teasing open the locks before carding. It also removes a lot of neps and noils and extra little pieces of VM that didn't come out with the washing. Shetland fleece has a lot of short neps and noils at the cut end since they are a rooed sheep and sometimes have a bit of the next year's growth before shearing or rooing and the little teaser board helps get rid of a lot of that short stuff. (that's what's in the gray basket)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200825_103112.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.6 KB ID:	69220Click image for larger version  Name:	20200825_103133.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	69221

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        I just saw a handspun sweater using the Gentle Morning cardigan that weighs 16.5 oz. I do not know the size, but my impression is that unless you are making an oversized sweater with pockets and shawl collar and lots of ease and length, you could get by with under 2 pounds but of course, I would want ample to be on the safe side. Shetlands tend to be smaller fleeces. (I wonder if that is one reason people would use them for colorwork - hmmm. . .)

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay a spinning friend gave me two more weigh-ins of handspun sweaters: 16.19 oz and 14.43 oz. I do not have sizes or styles, but it makes me feel better that sweaters can weigh closer to one pound than two pounds. Since I am new to this, I have decided to spin and see what can be done with my yardage.
        Last edited by Carlota; 08-26-2020, 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that reference. It is a nice-looking sweater and I might try something like that. This was not a huge fleece, but I also wasted some (prob 1/4-1/3 of the fleece) by trying to process it with a swing picker. It was offered by a kind lady who had one and she wanted me to come and give it a try. However, I ended up a pile of fiber full of neps and noils, so thankfully I didn't do the whole fleece that way. I have a kitchen can garbage bag half full of the picked fiber and I am trying to decide what to do with it. I hate to waste it, but I might have to consider it a lesson learned. I could card it, but I have a feeling it will be a pain to spin. I could try using hand cards and see if I can rescue it, but not sure it will work. So at this point I'm focusing on getting the rest done properly. I may end up ordering some more Shetland roving when it's all said and done (already cleaned and combed). Do you usually do 2 or 3 ply for sweaters and vests?

Ok, that looks like a major undertaking to a newbie spinner such as myself. I was just wondering this afternoon as I perused patterns on knitty, what an average handspun sweater would take. I can't be sure it would be comparable to commercially spun yarn. Maybe by next year's SdF I will be planning out a sweater's worth of fiber. I did find some good basic pattern ideas, though, so maybe it won't be that long. Did you say what pattern you are planning to use yet?
      +6~~ YTD =+6

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL--I haven't got a pattern picked out and I'm beginning to think a vest might be a better undertaking! But I want to try and at least get this all processed and spun. Don't feel like you need to tackle this. I've been spinning for about 4 or 5 years now and this is the first I've tried a raw fleece. I have sent some off to get processed by a small fiber mill (cleaned and combed) and that's really a nice way to get it done. You just have to be willing to wait a while (like 5-7 months) to get it back! I had some Lincoln longwool given to me by some friends. I skirted it (the first one was pretty dirty) before sending it off and I was amazed at how nice and white it was! I also have 2 more (one white and one black) fleeces being processed that should arrive any day now. I have to admit, it's nice to have it all combed into nice roving. But this is also fun and I wanted to give it a try--it's just a lot more time consuming.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X