LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Spin De Fleece Progress Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my last day was a bust. Why doesn't my family realize that I need to be spinning??? haha So I set the dvr and recorded the run into Paris, and I'll finish my last 1/2 oz and ply on Wednesday when I'm home alone again.

The good thing is that I'm inspired to at least set aside some time each week to spin. About 5 years ago, I bought a beautiful Jacob fleece, sorted, carded, spun, then knitted a gradient shawl in Elizabeth Zimmerman's 100th anniversary Camping pattern. After knitting, it was gifted to my favorite spinning teacher, Judith MacKenzie. I still have enough fleece left to make another for me. Just need to buckle down and do it.

Comment

• yarnforall
      yarnforall commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful shawl for a beautiful lady!

• Grammaresa
      Grammaresa commented
      Editing a comment
      iKnitSocks I found that the quality of the fleece varied a lot, and I was pretty particular to cull out the coarser parts for other uses. I saved the best bits to spin for the shawl and prepped it on my mini combs into little bird nests that I spun worsted into a 2-ply to enhance the lace pattern. I'll probably use the rest for hats or other outerwear. So far it's been easy to spin.

• JoanneT
      JoanneT commented
      Editing a comment
      What beautiful yarn and wonderful shawl!

Life got in the way yesterday so today I present my AAR. (after action report). I started out with about 465from a of alpaca fiber to spin. I was able to get it all spun. I wasn't able to get it all plyed but should be able to do that today. I did reach my goal of spinning fifteen minutes a day. Most days I spun longer. It has been a fun ride and will be back next year. Now to figure out what to do with the yarn I created.
    Normal is just a town in Illinois, far from where I live.

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Way to go--15 minutes every day is awesome! Have fun deciding on the yarn options! BTW, I noticed your signature line and realized we live (relatively) close to each other--I live just in the country just north of Normal about 40 minutes, near a little town called Roanoke. I took my first spinning lessons at Mary's Yarn Garden in Bloomington.

My little mountain of yarn not nearly as tall as the alps. So fun to share the spinning daily during sdf.

Comment

• yarnforall
      yarnforall commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum, yum, yummy!!!!

• AmazedbyGrace
      AmazedbyGrace commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, @tobascocat! Such pretty colors!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      But what a lovely mountain!!

Amazing work by everyone! I really enjoyed the Spin de Fleece and looking at everyone's progress pictures. You are truly inspiring! I hope we have other team efforts in the future!

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree!

Still fighting a bad tension headache, but wanted to post my final results for our first Spin de Fleece. I have participated in Tour de Fleece since it started, but this has been my most productive to-date, and I truly appreciate the warm, supportive environment we have cultivated here. I look forward to continuing the fun in whatever new spinning group we decide to put together.

Congratulations, everyone for a job well done!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3030.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	13032

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful yarns--all of them! Congratulations and hope that tension headache goes away. Thanks for participating!

• AmazedbyGrace
      AmazedbyGrace commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, rkennell. I have neck issues, and I think all of the spinning had something to do with it. I'm hoping my PT will be able to help. Thanks again!

Originally posted by Grammaresa View Post
    Thanks. Your work is beautiful. Now I want to go look at all my fiber and get started on that Jacob. I will sort ruthlessly.

Comment

I finally got time to watch the final and finish spinning on Thursday. So here's the photo of my final finished skeins. The second braid turned out to have more yellow than the first, but I'm still happy. They are within 1g of the same size, but the second is slightly finer with 875 yards (814 for the first). Plenty for a nice big shawl!

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are beautiful and will go so well together. Lovely spinning.

• LeoLady
        LeoLady commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful!

The Green Jersey thread is closed but I wanted to say - again - THANK YOU!!!! Look at this beautiful spindle!!! Thank you RoadFindCotton for the amazing spindle, it spins a dream, and thank you to rkennell for running the Spin de Fleece!!

This spindle is a work of art. My father did lathe work as a hobby for many, many years of his life. I wish he was still here to be a part of my spinning life. I can imagine that he'd be turning out spindles 24/7. My memories of him, and his incredible talents - some of which were never unleashed - make me appreciate anyone who stands in front of a lathe.

Attached Files

Comment

• RoadFindCotton
        RoadFindCotton commented
        Editing a comment
        So glad you like it, JenC, and thanks for sharing memories of your father with us. Sometimes when I turn wood, or work on an antique wheel, I think of the artisan woodworkers who have been here before me. I hope to honor their memories.
        Last edited by RoadFindCotton; 08-05-2019, 12:57 PM.

• LeoLady
        LeoLady commented
        Editing a comment
        WOW! That is lovely!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        JenC, Thanks for sharing your picture and your memory. So special! I'm so glad this SdF went as well as it did and I'm excited for next year. But so thankful also to everyone who donated prizes!!

This is a follow-up post, since I still had a bit more to do when Spin de Fleece ended. As of today, I am DONE flicking the locks for my Shetland sweater spin!
      The piles completely cover my dining room table. I have them roughly sorted: light, medium, dark, but I still need to bag and weigh the cleaned fleece. Next step: finish building a blending board to mix the shades of gray into a heather, and then hopefully diz off a mostly aligned preparation - not a true top but close to it. So my fall spinning is taking shape! I credit the Spin de Fleece challenge for getting the ball rolling on this part of the project.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190806_124225.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	16261
      Attached Files

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm so glad for you! I love that it did this for you--sometimes we just need a bit of outside group motivation! Your fleece looks amazing!

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        rkennell Thank you! It sure was fun to share milestones with other understanding souls! Oh, and I found some Hefty brand storage bags in the 2.5 gallon size so I was able to fill up ten of them. It feels so good to have the fleece packed up and ready for the next step.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay for the large zip lock bags--what a good idea!

I received the blending board from fancykitty today. What a wonderful prize, this will be a great fiber tool to work with. Thank you again for donating it!

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, have fun!! I'm so glad you got it!

Carlota : I absolutely love those 2.5 gallon Hefty bags! Hurrah for your accomplishment! A beautiful pile of goodness on your table.

Comment

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X