LoveCrafts 728 X 90
YOUR AD COULD BE HERE!

Click here for details.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Rockin’ Rookies

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week 2, Day 2: I fixed my lazy kate with a better brake system and the plying went more smoothly, was able to do the second half (onto 2 separate bobbins because it stopped taking up) and it was 2 oz, so together I have 3.9 oz, 110 gm. It's kinda thin, so maybe it will be good for Fair Isle, but I haven't washed any of it yet. Might take the first one off the bobbin today if there is time and inclination. We are moving our son to college this weekend, so busy busy busy. I hope you all have a great Holiday Weekend! -PGB
    2020 Stashbuster MAL Week Ending 11/21= (-16)~~ YTD =+6

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, you got a lot accomplished ahead of your busy weekend. Yarn does tend to puff up to varying degrees when washed. All the best on the move to school!

• PurlgirlButtons
      PurlgirlButtons commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Carlota, it is a little bit stressful, but we are hoping for the best!

Working on some more of my hand dyed Corrie-mix. Trying to get it thick (er) so I can bang out a coaster or two for a birthday gift. I hope this looks Fall-ish...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2322.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	72415 And my (over) plied yarn Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2319.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	72416

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely says Fall! Gorgeous!

• Shauna825
      Shauna825 commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like both of these. You say your yarn is overspun, have you washed and thwacked it yet? I know that always helps my yarn even out.

I have been so bad about spinning the last three days 😕 I just started a new semester for my master's degree and that is keeping me real busy. I haven't given up though. Love seeing everyone else's spinning!
    2020 Stashbuster MAL WTD 7, YTD -144

Knitting not only relaxes me, it also brings a feeling of being at home.
    -Magdalena Neuner

Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.
    -Elizabeth Zimmermann

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      That's amazing - so excited for you!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Good for you! Graduate school is quite demanding, I hope you get an occasional break for crafting.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Life happens--don't worry! We'll probably have a drawing for all the participants at the end, so you could still win!

SdF Week 2, Day 6: I started a new fiber having finished the little hank of red, orange, and yellow Corrie-mix. I started some more Polwarth dyed by Banshee Fiber Art Studio. Love, love, love it. I am trying to spin thicker and less tightly, and it is working so far. This is not sock yarn, so I want it to be squooshy.

Name:	IMG_2330.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	72783Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2329 (1).JPG
Views:	106
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	72782

Comment

• PurlgirlButtons
      Editing a comment
      Carlota, this is the one with which I am going to try to make a quick birthday gift,

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      A hand made gift with at least 2 or 3 layers of effort - wow - that will be so nice!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are both lovely! And I agree with Carlota - a handmade gift with that much love and time invested is so special!

SdF Week 2, Day 7 30 minutes of spinning time to add to this little bobbin...spent time on our Fiberkind Virtual Yarnies get-together crocheting 2 coasters with my handspun, which was one of my goals of Spin de Fleece. I met my goal of at least 30 minutes a day, having spun 5 hrs 40 minutes this week.

Name:	IMG_2336.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	73027Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	73026

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Those coasters are so pretty!! What a neat feeling of accomplishment when you make a finished product from yarn you've spun. Good job!

• PurlgirlButtons
      Editing a comment
      Shauna825, wool is supposed to be a good insulator and it absorbs moisture, and these will be slightly felted before sending them off.!

• Shauna825
      Shauna825 commented
      Editing a comment
      PurlgirlButtons that's a great idea. I never thought of felting them.

Week 3 Day 2: Spinned for my 30 minutes and was having a sore left thumb, so I gave it a rest after that, but I did do some (ok, a lot of) knitting on a big Garter Squish blanket, (2-strands, big needles) so the day wasn't a total loss! 😄 The blanket is approx 60" wide and currently 68" long. I'm trying to decide how much longer to go, it'll probably be for a queen-sizeish bed. I'm on my last skein of the MC, so I may just use it up and see how many more little balls of CC I can add. OR...just start another one?

Comment

• Shauna825
      Shauna825 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that you say that my left thumb, way down kinda by the joint, has been hurting as well. It could definitely be due to the spinning.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      So, yes, if you're spinning way more than usual, it definitely could be the cause of some aches and pains! Maybe try to split your spinning time in half and take a break for a while before coming back to it. It's good to get up and move around anyway.

I remembered that yesterday was a rest day....but then I forgot because my thumb felt better and did about an hour of spinning and fighting with my spinner. I decided my brake band was getting a little stretched, but not stretched enough to move to the next bead. I tied a little knot in it and it seems to be doing better. It's very finicky that way. Too tight and it won't move, too loose and you just get pigtails. This is probably where a normal spinning wheel is a huge advantage, but usually, it doesn't take me too long to find the sweet spot! It gets harder,, though, when the bobbin is almost but not quite full.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm on a Scotch tension regular spinning wheel and I'm always re-adjusting the brake tension because as you said, as the bobbin fills . . . (sounds like a soap opera).

Finished off my Cosmic? Banshee Fiber Arts Studio 4 oz braid #2 last night with only 32 minutes of spinning. Today I will try to ply. I'm still looking for patterns for small balls of handspun.

Name:	IMG_2360.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	73778

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      That's pretty yarn. It would make cute fingerless mitts or blanket squares.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      This is gorgeous!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Cowls or hats also are nice for single balls, but you can also use them as accents in a larger project as well. Well done!

SdF Week 3 Day 5: One hour of Howie Carr and Art Bell podcasts and I'm almost done with this.

Name:	IMG_2362.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	73925
    Last edited by PurlgirlButtons; 09-16-2020, 08:48 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      You sure are making some fun yarns! They remind me of the coveted Spincycle yarns showcased in the Andrea Mowry Shifty series.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! You're spinning like a pro, aren't you new to this?

• Readyfox
      Readyfox commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the colors. I listen to podcasts also while I spin.

SdF Week 3, Day 7 Spinned (have spun?) for a little over an hour today, and was thinking it was the final day, but it is NOT! So I will hang in there and bring my spinner with me to the Cape and crank out a little bit more of my hand dyed Corrie mix. I finished a big braid of blue today, about 35 grams, while on our Fiberkind Zoom Get-together. I did manage to fulfill my challenges, making something with handspun, and spinning over an hour both Challenge days. Thankfully I have throttled back a little compared to my first week, and my thumb is much better for it.

Name:	IMG_2372.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	74255

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad about your thumb - hope it continues better. That color of blue is so nice.

• PurlgirlButtons
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! And it's all still a great big experiment, so I feel like anything I finish is good!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I LOVE that color!! It's probably a good thing SdF is coming to an end for this year; sounds like your thumb needs a rest!

I've started this new pair of mittens using my handspun. not yarn spun during Spin de Fleece. but the brown is the very first full skein I ever spun when I was first learning. and the white balls are my second and third skeins, and are considerably thinner then the first, so I'm knitting them held double so they match up with the brown more-or-less.
    The fiber is a wool+alpaca blend and came out woolly and rustic, so some nice thick mittens should be a good way to use it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010256.JPG Views:	9 Size:	168.2 KB ID:	74338

Comment

• Sommerfugl
      Sommerfugl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you everybody!

PurlgirlButtons, I kinda halfway designed these, I based them off of pictures I found online of traditional mittens from Newfoundland. I do keep pretty extensive notes if you would find them useful.

rkennell this is a wool+alpaca blend. I usually like wool or a wool blend for mittens, just because they take a beating. but I think 100% alpaca would be really cozy and luxurious!

• PurlgirlButtons
      Editing a comment
      I have the Selbuvotter Mittens book, so I think that I'm flush with similar patterns, but thanks for the offer.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Sommerfugl - I'm inclined to agree with you that it would be a good thing to combine it with some wool. I have some Shetland and some Lincoln Longwool--both of those would be a good thing to use, I think! The Longwool would be exceptionally sturdy and the alpaca would soften it up a bit. Hmmm...I really want to get some alpaca now!

SdF Final Day: Spun for an hour and a half to finish off my Green/Yellow Hand-dyed Corrie Mix. My week's total was 7 hours, 15 min and my Grand Total was 25 hours, 10 min. I took one Day of Rest. YAY! I made it!

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations!

I'm way late but I finally finished my spin de fleece braid of fiber. So impressed with how this turned out. I got 402 yards of traditional three ply in 86g and 69 yards of chain ply (leftover singles) in 14g. This is the closest I've ever come to commercially spun weight/yardage ratio. I'm adding this to a planned five skein fade set, and this is the third one I've completed.
    2020 Stashbuster MAL WTD 7, YTD -144

Knitting not only relaxes me, it also brings a feeling of being at home.
    -Magdalena Neuner

Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.
    -Elizabeth Zimmermann

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow you sure did amazing on yardage! Pretty yarns!

• Shauna825
      Shauna825 commented
      Editing a comment
      rkennell I plan on doing a So Faded sweater! Five skeins should be enough.

Carlota thank you!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      This is gorgeous yarn!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X