LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Roving Regulars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roving Regulars

If you have been spinning for more than 2 years, this is a great place to land. Share your progress, encourage others, get advice, and be willing to give helpful advice to others who are asking for it. You are welcome to join more than 1 group, so if you are wanting a challenge this time around, feel free to be a part of both the "regulars" and the "challengers"! Hop in and introduce yourself and what your plans are for this spinning season.

I am a regular, Been spinning for about 5 years. I plan to spin at least 30 min a day and twice that on the challenge days. Does anyone have a catchy name for our group??
    Linda
    2021 Stasbusting week ending 5/1 WTD = 0 YTD = +56
    2020 Stash busted +160
    Book Challenge 66/100; 15 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
    The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

I posted this (a few days ago) but it's just a few that came to mind - I really don't have any preference:
      Okay, a few quick suggestions for names, beginning with PurlgirlButtons 's idea:
      Rambouillet Regulars (only prob = hard to spell)
      Romeldale Regulars (same prob)
      Romney Regulars
      Rolag Regulars
      Rollicking Regulars
      Roving Regulars

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have to get Char to do that for us. I don't think I can change the name myself, but I believe she can.

• crosstitchlinda
        crosstitchlinda commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks @rkennel and Char for changing the name!

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        You are quite welcome!! Tag me any time you want. :-)

I neglected to mention that I will be co-moderating this group ( see what a lazy job I'm doing already).
      Linda
      2020 Stash busted +160

The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not meant to be a stressful thing--just someone to connect with the posts being made and reply to comments when you can.

And we're off!!! Happy spinning to everyone today. I might have grands coming over but I'll stop in every once in a while.
      Linda
      2020 Stash busted +160

Comment

Hi! Lurker turned poster here.
        I think I started spinning somewhere around 2011 or 2013--can't remember--picked it up at an SCA event (Pennsic). I spin in-hand and if the fiber prep allows it, from a handheld distaff (Viking style distaff)--so my lousy fiber prep, if I wash a fleece, makes for really lumpy spinning. LOL.

Goal will be 15 minutes a day because I've really gotten lazy, coupled with moving and now being in a house that is perpetually under construction (UGH). I don't have any fleeces right now--got lazy about that too--so will just use some of the tons of roving I have on hand...

Where do we post weekly results--here? Does plying count? WIPs? Thanks!!

Comment

• crosstitchlinda
          Editing a comment
          Welcome! This is my first time so I'll defer to rkennell for how we post weekly results. I expect there will be a thread for that. You are always welcome to post progress in this thread.

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, there will be a thread for posting weekly results. Just keep track of how many days you're spinning each week. The minimum is 15 minutes a day. But post in this thread with your progress and pictures and anything else you want share--we love to see what you're working on!

Thanks! (are there directions anywhere on how to reply to a specific post ? I'm fumbling along here.)

Comment

I started my Tour de Fleece participation today. I am challenging myself to spin at least 20 minutes a day during the tournament. I might double that for challenge days. I have been spinning on a wheel for about 4 years. I see a huge improvement in my results, yet still have lots to learn. Here is a photo of what I am working on now. I am spinning it on my Ashford Traveler. It is merino top I bought last September when we were driving through Kentucky. I managed to plan a stop at the Woolery, where I bought this top. I hope everything else enjoys the Tour de Fleece

Comment

• crosstitchlinda
          Editing a comment
          Welcome! I am glad I don't live closer to the Woolery or I'd be spending all my retirement savings there. I just bought an Ashford Traditional from them in May. (My old one went to my Granddaughter, it was my MIL's and I thought the GD would appreciate it.)

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty colors! I agree with crosstitchlinda - I would probably spend all my money there as well if I lived nearby! But someday I would love to visit. Happy spinning!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          I love the blues in this, what beautiful yarn.

Hi there Roving Regulars! I met my goal today, spinning some home-prepped roving for about an hour. I got 16 grams added to the current bobbin, finishing a section and feeling good about chugging along.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200829_143036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	70251

Comment

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Carlota - It's beautiful! Good for you on meeting your goal today!

• crosstitchlinda
          Editing a comment
          Look at you go!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds like a lot of progress to me.

I met my goal of spinning half my BFL braid, about 70 grams. It’s lovely fiber I recently purchased from a spinner’s estate sale, and it spun like butter. When this is finished I’m going to dive into my John Arbon Devonia sweater spin. 🚵🏻‍♀️

Comment

• dapncat
          dapncat commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm intrigued--what is this: John Arbon Devonia sweater spin (and nice spinning!! I was too tired to do anything at all)

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, you're off to a great start.

• Kniterested
          Kniterested commented
          Editing a comment
          dapncat John Arbon is a man in the UK with a wonderful mill where he and his wife spin exquisite yarn and process fiber for spinners. Devonia is one of those fiber blends, and I’m knitting a sweater quantity with some gorgeous green. Now you know my cryptic post’s meaning! 😆Check it out! https://www.jarbon.com/product-category/fibre/

I think I'll make one progress post weekly and just update it

Sat 8/29 30min Fiber C.J. Kopek Happily ever After 94% Merino Wool, 6% Stellina Purchased 8/18/18 At the Michigan Fiber Festival.

Sun 8/30 30min above fiber

Mon 8/31 30 min same fiber
        Last edited by crosstitchlinda; 09-01-2020, 09:50 AM.
        Linda
        2020 Stash busted +160

Comment

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          That's probably not a bad idea to post weekly. I haven't posted every day either. Some days you just don't have time!

Second day of Tour de Fleece, about 25 minutes of spinning

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          I love this, do you know what you're going to make with it?

• Carlota
          Carlota commented
          Editing a comment
          Those blues are rich and gorgeous - I need to get a blue spin going in the near future.

Second day - same bobbin of BFL/Coopworth, getting fatter (the kind of poundage we like). I put on about an ounce in an hour or so - happy to see movement on this project.

Comment

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          I love your "weight gain"!! You're rolling along!

I hope to post weekly updates, I've been working on Shave 'em to Save 'em projects. I began spinning in 2007, but didn't really bond with my wheel until taking a class in 2014.

Comment

• Readyfox
          Readyfox commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a goal I would like to achieve. There is a sheep farm just down the street from us. The lady has her own yarn studio just off her barn. Sometimes we visit in the early spring when they are lambing. Enjoy your project. Hope you're taking pictures of the process.

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Good for you, strawberryroan - it will be neat to see your updates! I have a couple of SE2SE projects started, including a full Shetland fleece that I hope to knock out during this event.

Readyfox - How neat to have a sheep farm with a yarn studio nearby! What kind of sheep?

​Yay! Hit my goal of 15 minutes, with this Hampton/Suffolk cross. Are folks posting here or in the main thread?
        (Followed the instructions for uploading photos, but it's double-loading the photo--and uploading as an attachment) Click image for larger version

Name:	UMif6chJXn_7gHK5QEVbtqT8GFsPV6W3xGjGmxxAA_LqScec3fbRrcqEoHmL4OCYgUf8rxhwbucQdxIDXA4i1kAZ-ajcdMjYHLiomDvtNOgOAUHQzPTq0hPvjZrgnaz651-r7jOG0YaglCLyWP1nDq74ijfNwEufJr9kVudevQ0VI431XY-R1wnFcIkASxda-icZY5PauOnq73LXBUXBIQoIgs0x425DbPSjvOXe6JD2YKbvkzBwHPRPyVTGJ_3
Views:	124
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	70668​​​​Hoping this works and apologies for the newbie clumsiness

Comment

• Readyfox
          Readyfox commented
          Editing a comment
          The Suffolk has a 2-3 inch staple length so it probably makes drop spindle spinning enjoyable. I think the Hampton has the same length. This looks very nice. I wasn't sure where to post either. I went to the "group" Beginning Spinners and posted there for Rookies.

• crosstitchlinda
          Editing a comment
          You can post in either thread or both. We always like to see pictures here!

• Carlota
          Carlota commented
          Editing a comment
          Your spindle and whorl resemble the ones I got from Hershey Fiber Arts. Any chance yours are from there too? Are you spinning supported or grasped? That's a whole other love of mine - fun to see your post.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X