This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Roving Regulars

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday the 14th is another rest day. Take Monday off (or not) or swap it with another day -- whatever works for you! I have the grands over today so might not get any spinning done today. I'm knitting with handspun though!
    Linda
    Stasbusting week ending 9/19 WTD = 0 YTD = +160

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
    The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost"

JRR Tolkien

Comment

I made and spun exactly one puni yesterday, Sunday. It was a pitiful output; HOWEVER, it was AMAZING. I used the leftover waste from the drum - the licker-in leavings, the fluff that came off of the drum cleaner brush, stray puffs that fell off the batt when being removed, etc. I loaded it onto my 120 tpi hand cards, carded it very lightly 2 passes, took off with two knitting needles, puni-style, and spun it like butter on a support spindle. The slubs drafted out very easily, as all the fiber was on the short side, including the sari silk. So, for me, I will count Sunday as my rest day, but it was more of a "this-is-why-I-love-spinning" day, full of re-discovery and excitement. So today will include more prep of these awesome, amazing punis to make up for coasting yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200914_121105_2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	73506

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        So nice!! The hand cards definitely would help!

Since the pilot puni went well, I made 10 more, used up the drum carding waste, and spun a few.

Name:	IMG_20200914_143849_2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	73521

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        That is turning out really pretty!!

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        rkennell Thank you, it has been a fun little transition to some meatier stuff.

Week 3
      Sat day 1 Spun 30 min -- purple
      Sun day 2 Spun 30 min -- purple
      Mon day 3 rest day so I spun 30 min purpple
      Linda

The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost"

JRR Tolkien

Comment

Tuesday, Sept. 15, I spun punis for about 30 minutes, then soaked a goldenrod extraction, soaked some Gulf Coast Native, mordanted it, wound some Navajo Churro skeins for weaving prepped one for overdyeing once dye pot is free.

Comment

Week 3

Mon day 3 rest day so I spun 30 min purple
          Tues day 4 Spun 30 min purple
          Linda

JRR Tolkien

Comment

• rkennell
            rkennell commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like some serious progress. Are you getting tired of doing the same color? I know I'm kinda' ready for a different color!

• crosstitchlinda
            crosstitchlinda commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, this is a different purple than the round barn fiber! I've finished the spinning and will start plying tomorrow.

Today, Sep.t 16, I spun about a half an hour, finishing the rest of the punis, and I worked on a natural dyepot with fresh goldenrod. I also mordanted in anticipation of tomorrow's dyepot of cochineal.

Comment

Today was mostly about finishing the goldenrod dyepot and proceeding with the cochineal dyepot . But in the evening I spun merino/silk about 40 minutes on my Turkish spindle and started planning tomorrow's challenge spin. I will prep and attempt to spin some drastically felted Debouillet locks tomorrow morning.

Comment

• PurlgirlButtons
              PurlgirlButtons commented
              Editing a comment
              I was just reading up on cochineal, do you buy it then in a dried powder form? I assume the goldenrod is fresh and plentiful in your area. Are the dyed fibers then color- and light-fast? I've found some food-coloring dyed yarn to fade in the sunlight? Just curious and will love to see the results!

• rkennell
              rkennell commented
              Editing a comment
              Girl, you are a glutton for punishment (er, challenges!!) But please let us know how the Debouillet locks spin up! (I have to say I've never heard of that particular wool.) But your dyeing experiments sound amazing as well. Are you posting pics in the dyeing forum? I've been so busy with canning that I haven't spent much time on FK, but hopefully that's coming to and end and I want to see pics of your projects.

Week 3

Wed day 5 spun 30 min --finished purple
            Thurs day 6 started plying the purple 30 min
            Linda

JRR Tolkien

Comment

OK Just a heads up!!!

Go check out this thread and then sign up for the prizes you qualify for.
              https://fiberkind.com/forum/spinning...e-sure-to-read

There are these challenges
              1. 3rd week drawing -- goes through Sunday this week
              2. Grand Prize - If you fully participated in the tour Spun all days except rest days.
              3. Polka dot Jersey - If life got the better of you but you spun at least 5 days
              4. Green Jersey - you qualified for at least one of the 3 weekly contests.

Entry deadline is midnight Sunday the 20th EDT.
              Linda

JRR Tolkien

Comment

Today was a TdF challenge day if I'm not mistaken. The fiber is felted Debouillet locks, hard as knots. I drum carded some. Not great for the machine, but I went slowly and took off 2 thin, lumpy batts of less than an ounce each. I stripped the batts lengthwise and spun them with assertion, short forward, and this is what I got. I will not continue with the remaining 6 or so ounces as this falls into my category of "stunt spinning." It is full of sand, burrs, VM, and I bent my Louet combs attemping to comb the locks. So glad I did not pour any more effort into it. That said, if one is into lumpy yarn, this is the bee's knees.

Name:	IMG_20200918_175440_2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	74311

Comment

• rkennell
                  rkennell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awwhh....well, this is one you can check off your list, at least! Kudos for giving this a fair effort!! And yes, yesterday was the challenge day, so I'd say you qualified!!

Week 3

Wed day 5 spun 30 min --finished purple
                Thurs day 6 started plying the purple 30 min
                Friday day 7 Finished plying the purple and started spinning some Summer Flowers This is a hand processed hand dyed batt, with 50% alpaca, 20% Bamboo, 20% South American Wool, 20 % Cellulose and Firestar. It's from Masons Mercantile and purchased at the Fiber Festival at Sauder Village.
                SAt day 8 more of the Summer Flowers
                Sun day 9 -- final day-- 30 min on the Summer Flowers, finished the 1st of 2 bobblins.
                Also Friday was my challenge day.
                Last edited by crosstitchlinda; Yesterday, 09:37 PM. Reason: edited to add Sunday's spinning
                Linda

JRR Tolkien

Comment

• Kniterested
                  Kniterested commented
                  Editing a comment
                  “...rest day so I spun 30 minutes purple.” 😆👍🏻

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
              X