Measuring

So, newbie spinner here, and I have no idea how this should look, but this is what I’m getting right now for singles. So, ??? when you measure your twist, it is when plied, folded over, or a straight strand. I have a little spin card to compare. I’m assuming I want to be in the 60 -25 degree range, this is probably a little too loose. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1719 (1).jpg

It looks like you are doing great - very even in the sample, and not too tightly plied. Yes, in that range, which is quite broad, but depending on your use you might want less twist (long wools, nice for lace) or more twist (shorter wools or harder wearing items, as in socks). A lot depends on how the yarn looks after finishing, which means soak the sample in hot water and let it dry to check out the fluff factor. Some like their yarn with a more relaxed twist, and others prefer it to look very coiled. You can see the purple sample yarn printed on the card has roughly a 40 degree angle of twist. Overtwisting can make yarn ropey. There is a lot to learn about how to insert the twist that will result in a yarn that you like, which is what I’m getting the feel of myself. Knitting or crocheting or weaving a sample will tell you quite a bit about what you might want to adjust. The density of the yarn depends on additional factors, such as type of fiber and crimp, preparation, style of spinning, whether or not smoothing is being done. Those are just a few considerations but it looks like you are up and running just fine. Also, I started to answer you about Spin de Fleece on the other thread but my answer went away, so until the Moderator answers, just consider setting a fun goal for yourself and work on that each day of the Tour de France (following their schedule). Participation is posting our progress and cheering ourselves on. You could set several short goals or a longer one but the idea is challenge and fun rather than yardage or speed.

Thank You @Carlota, TDF sounds interesting, too. I’m glad I don’t have to start with a fresh fleece and all that prep work. Not ready for all that !

Wow, @Carlota answered your questions so well that I have nothing to add. She is a fount of knowledge when it comes to fiber info! I second her comment about how you learn much from actually using the yarn you’ve spun. Knitting my first handspun scarf was both immensely rewarding and insightful. It wasn’t terribly long, but it inspired me to spin yarns I could create projects with. You’ll love it!