Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

DIY Blending Board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Blending Board

I have done some searching, reading and watching people making their own blending boards. My question is, should the carding cloth be both glued and stapled to the board, or just stapled? When I examine my hand cards, it appears the cloth is only stapled. But I have run across differing views on whether to glue or not. Does anyone here have a thoughts one way or the other?

I glued and stapled the card cloth to my board. And it is really firmly on there. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it does help! Thank you so much SpinsterJulieB! I will likely do this in the next couple of days and will report back!

I said I would report back: the blending board is finished and ready for service. First, I looked at photos of name-brand and DIY blending boards to get an idea of dimensions and features I wanted. I used an old cabinet door of nice quality plywood and a pine bed slat, both rescued from the trash, and cut them to size with a table saw and a scroll saw for the keel. I ordered some 72 tpi carding cloth for about $51 U.S. to the door, from Howard Brush Outlet on Etsy. They strongly recommended that only staples be used to attach the cloth, not glue, to allow the teeth to move. I bought a couple of dollars' worth of hardware and supplies (three 1/4 inch Tee Nuts, one 1/4 inch x 4 inch Eye Bolt, two washers, one utility drawer pull, 3/8 inch staples, 6 feet of screen moulding). We also drilled two clamping holes on the front in case I want to use it flat.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190820_112938.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	20248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190820_113009.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	20249 We already had the tools, staples, brads, wood filler, and some colored varnish on hand as a sealer. The keel has three positions in case I want to use it seated, but more likely I will clamp it to the table with my L-shaped loom clamps. I hope that helps anyone else who wants to experiment with some blending techniques without spending a ton.

Comment

• Floppy2
      Floppy2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Very good work.

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Floppy2 Thanks - more later on how it works when it cools down outside.
Working...
X