LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crosstitchlinda
    commented on 's reply
    @Readyfox
    She is actually the reason I took up spinning. We were at a fiber festival and she wanted to know how to spin. I bought a spindle and was learning, when my MIL mentioned a wheel in her basement. This wheel had been "decoration" while my children were small and they were all allowed to play with it. Went down and took a look and my DIL said "That's and ashford wheel". I took it home and patched it up and became a newbie spinner. That's been a number of years ago now and MIL passed away a few years ago but I think she'd be pleased that GD is now going to use the wheel. MIL never did spin on it she just liked having it around.

• Readyfox
    commented on 's reply
    Happy birthday all around! What a wonderful idea to spread the craft. I can see you and your granddaughter sitting side by side spinning.

• rkennell
    commented on 's reply
    Happy Birthday--what a fun birthday present! Sounds like you and your granddaughter have lots of fun spinning times in your future! I have an Ashford Traditional and I love it! Mine is an older one that I got used, but I upgraded it to a double treadle and got an sliding hook flyer for mine. They just don't wear out! I hope you can both join us for the Spin de Fleece later this year!

• Carlota
    commented on 's reply
    That's exciting - lucky both of you!

• crosstitchlinda
    replied
    I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd show off my new wheel!! The new one is the light colored one, the darker one is the older wheel I got from my MIL. The older wheel is going to my granddaughter for her birthday, and the new wheel is my birthday present. Just a bit early.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	53054
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bettymo
    commented on 's reply
    Great Idea...I like that "multicraftual" heh

• AFrayedKnot
    replied
    I'm multicraftual when it comes to fiber arts. I also have ADD so I tend to jump from project to project like an amorous toad. I've found that keeping a project journal has been a lifesaver. I use a good old fashioned daytimer type binder with tabs for each craft (knitting, weaving, spinning, etc). Each project has it's own page with pertinent info, and for those with patterns, there is a copy of the pattern in a sheet protector with notes on where I am in the pattern. It can be a cumbersome system, but it works better than any other that I've tried.

Leave a comment:

• Bettymo
    replied
    Callielw No not really. Wow great spinning. I've been spinning off and on. Working on a braid, unidentified, from a guild sale. It came with a Kundert spindle. I haven't tried the spindle yet. I'm pretty sure it's Merino. Seems like it's going on forever so it will most likely wind up fingering.

Leave a comment:

• Callielw
    commented on 's reply
    Does that do any good? I think I'd still forget. I've been giving my wheel a workout this week. 900 yds of 2 ply fingering and DK. I love spinning. I did some reviewing on spinning bulky yarn. I think it ended up super bulky.

• Grammaresa
    commented on 's reply
    Callielw Several of my friends at a spinning retreat had them and they were able to spin anything the rest of us were doing.

• Bettymo
    commented on 's reply
    I lose track of everything...what it is, where I got it. how much there is....everything. I guess in the long run it doesn't matter. But I do mentally spank myself.

• Callielw
    commented on 's reply
    Glad to not be alone. Some people/artists just seem to have a vision and then they jump into it. I see what I want, get it started and then life comes along and when I pick it back up again, I can't remember what I was doing it for. Most recently, I bought roving from 4 different breeds of sheep to experiment on sock yarn. I did 2 ply and chain ply and extra twist and 2 plies on direction with 1 the other....and made the cutest little skeins and then they sat on my desk for a while and now I don't know which one is which from what wool. Don't I wish I'd spent 3 minutes putting tags on them. But even that doesn't make me stop spinning. I really dislike multiple projects. Putting one down is pretty much death to it. I force myself to finish one before I start on another. Which can make the first one not so much fun.

I'm learning about the journey thing. Enjoy it all and such. Getting better slightly.

• Bettymo
    replied
    Callielw I get so paralyzed sometimes with what to do next I sometimes just jump into something totally random that wasn't even on my mind. I have 4 things going right now and need to finish at least one thing. I totally get what you are saying.

Leave a comment:

• Callielw
    commented on 's reply
    Now that I re-red it, I see how disjointed it is. I did deliver a spindle to a friend today. I hope she does well with it. I tried with too heavy of a spindle for what I was spinning and didn't get why the ply kept breaking.

Do you ever get 'constipated' from having so many projects in mind that you want to work on/learn to do? I have so many things floating around that I have a very difficult time picking which one to concentrate on.

• Grammaresa
    commented on 's reply
    For some reason there's not comment button on the first post in a topic. But all the rest do so I try to just piggyback on the appropriate one or make a new comment if no one has already.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X