Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-ettiquette
See more
See less

OLAD!!! You know you need it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those looms are definitely cool ! I’d love one. And your weaving is exquisite’

Comment

• DebbiRYarn
      DebbiRYarn commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm all over my Katie! I'm trying to design a stand for it.

It came, it came!! Looks like it took a detour all the way to Africa. 😳

Comment

• yarnforall
      yarnforall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you DebbiRYarn !That would certainly be a hoot if it could. I had given it up as lost, but glad it turned up.

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      yarnforall What a lovely loom! So glad it arrived, happy weaving!

• yarnforall
      yarnforall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Kathy7661 . I didn’t like the agony of thinking it was lost, but ultimately it was well worth the wait. The creator of these does exceptional work.

Glad it finally got to you and is serving it's purpose. I've often admired their looms.

Comment

• yarnforall
      yarnforall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Bettymo . I am really enjoying it! I have ordered a shuttle in matching wood now. I am hopeful the mail service handles it better.

Squee again!! My Christmas present (and Valentine's Day present, and birthday present, and next Christmas present, etc.) came in last week! George got me one of the 50th anniversary Schacht Mighty Wolf looms! This completes my Wolf Den. There's the Pup, the Baby and now the Mighty.

Mighty Wolf

Comment

• Nitperl
      Nitperl commented
      Editing a comment
      A really nice loom!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet! I'd say George is a keeper!

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      A lovely sight.

Okay, yesterday I joined you folks by acquiring my first 4-shaft loom - a Leclerc Fanny 36-inch counterbalance from around 1951-1958. No picture yet as we are disassembled while we shuffle some stuff to make room. I took Susan Fricks' Weaving Boot Camp at Yarnorama in Paige a couple of weeks ago, which only fanned the flames, and after searching ads for over a year, this loom came up near me, at a super reasonable price, and I had to jump. It is quite well preserved. I think the most I will need to supply is a couple of lease sticks and a bench. As we are handy around here, that should be fun. It came with a large warping board and 5 weaving books, including Deborah Chandler's Learning to Weave, and Anne Dixon's The Handweaver's Pattern Directory. It does not appear to need any repair, just perhaps a light cleaning. Several of you were so kind to give moral support as I considered the vintage Arthur Allen CB loom with direct tie-up a couple of months ago. I decided not to buy that one, as I was not sure I could figure out the repairs while learning how to work with a CB loom. I think the current purchase is a lot more loom and there is quite a bit of resource material at my fingertips as I learn to work with it. I will post a picture when we have settled in. Thanks again all for the input earlier. I am currently thrilled to the core and am confident I can learn enough to work with this one.

Comment

• Bettymo
      Bettymo commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats!

• oldeworldfibres
      oldeworldfibres commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations!! This is exciting news!! Can't wait for pictures. You are going to do great!!

Thanks Bettymo and @oldworldfibres - you know the thrill! Yesterday we made room (no small task) and then we reassembled most of the parts, adding a missing washer and wing nut, replacing a bent carriage bolt, dusting, figuring out what in the world a prior user had done to modernize the brake system - found online info to compare our oddball brake with the original brake design, and we'll have to see if I can run with it as is, or if I will need to order a few parts. Some of the old schematics I found are hard to make out, but I know that most of these items can be fabricated if I get a good picture to follow. Today I will rehang the shafts and take a picture to show you. I am thinking about a first warp - not sure if I will try to make something or just doodle around. There is a practice piece in the Deborah Chandler book that I should probably do.

Comment

• oldeworldfibres
      Editing a comment
      I spent many a day in Deborah Chandler's book. :-)

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      oldeworldfibres glad to hear that - am really enjoying reading the book and getting excited about warping. She is a good writer and teacher.

This week I will cut and sand some lease sticks and make a raddle. (I want to warp back to front to practice what we just did in Boot Camp. ) We did get the brake to work, by changing it back to more closely follow a hand drawn diagram from an early Leclerc spec sheet. This kind of thing is really fun. There is also the matter of the oddly sewn aprons. They have the factory selvedge lengthwise on one side of the canvas, and a folded and sewn hem on the other, which when rolled, creates far more bulk on one side of the beam than the other, which kind of skews the iron rod. I'm thinking about just unpicking the machine-sewn hem, unfolding it, and hand whipping it to prevent fraying. Of course, that will make the apron an inch wider on one side only. Maybe it won't matter - I shouldn't let it be a hindrance to getting going.

• oldeworldfibres
      Editing a comment
      @Carlota...I thought about cutting the edges of my canvas apron with pinking shears so I wouldn't get any build up, then decided to take them and use Texsolv cord. Because of having the aprons, the cloth and warp beams didn't have any holes for putting the cords through so I didn't think it would work. A very experienced weaver suggested...."if it were me....I would toss the aprons and drill holes in the beams for the cord...it is a tool after all." I gasped and just about fainted, but then realized I wasn't trying to restore an antique to original form. My husband drilled the holes for me; that nearly made me sick with anxiety & second-guessing myself, but drilled they were and the system works great. We did have an "uh oh" moment when we realized the wood was so hard and dry it was starting to splinter as he was drilling. We readjusted our method and the rest went fine. Whew! Always an adventure.

Here is a picture of the reassembled Leclerc Fanny. It looks like a loom, right? I am almost ready for my first solo warp on a floor loom, in about another week.
    Last edited by Carlota; 11-28-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      oldeworldfibres Thanks for the thumbs up! These are indeed exciting times! (I love this type of problem solving.) Tomorrow I will see if I can turn a new warp beam crank handle on a wood lathe. The metal handle is there, and my husband straightened it in a vice; it just needs the wooden roller. What fun. I have a photo of a Leclerc handle to look at, so it should be fairly straightforward. Of course, this is a frill.
      I think I read a blog post on the idea you mentioned about Texsolv cords to replace cloth aprons. That sure would be neater. I'm glad to hear from someone who is happy having done that. I do love the Texsolv on the RH; it seems to reduce sloppy alignment. I'm thinking about getting some for the upper rollers on the Fanny too - so I could tweak my harness height.

• oldeworldfibres
      Editing a comment
      @Carlota...I also replaced the upper cords with the regular size Texsolv cord (I used the heavy Texsolv cord for the beams). It is a lot quicker to adjust the rollers and works great.

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      oldeworldfibres thanks for pointing out the two weights of Texsolv cord - good to know.

Carlota, your new loom is awesome! Isn't it fun to bring something back to use? It's one of our favorite things to do!

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DebbiRYarn! Yes, I kind of favor vintage stuff, as long as it is mostly there (as this one is). I'm away from the loom for a week so have been occupied reading Learning to Weave by Deborah Chandler and sanding some lease sticks and other accessories - all good fun. Of course there is quite a bit of suspense until I actually get warped up and start weaving (insert nervous laugh).

• DebbiRYarn
      DebbiRYarn commented
      Editing a comment
      You'll do just fine!

I wonder how many weavers owe their start to Deborah Chandler. I know I'm certainly one.
Working...
X