LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Tips for beginning weavers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linda do you ever think the 32” is too big?
    I have been looking at Woolery and could include it on a visit to my parents in Indiana but who knows when they will open up again.

Comment

• crosstitchlinda
      crosstitchlinda commented
      Editing a comment
      It is wide and you need room on both sides for the shuttle. But that is why I have some shorter shuttles for when I'm weaving a narrower width. I also have a 15" cricket for very narrow things. I personally wouldn't go wider, but I have short arms!! You could call the woolery and see if you could have a private look at some looms. They also give very good advice over the phone.

Where in IN are you going?? I'm in Warsaw.

• Sjuly
      Sjuly commented
      Editing a comment
      Northeast Indianapolis.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Sjuly - I'm northwest of Indy, but spend a lot of time northeast of Indy as my in laws live there

A couple more questions:
    1. Does it make sense to have two looms, one for narrow things like if I want to make a scarf and another that is wider for placements etc? Or is it just as easy to weave the narrow project on the larger loom?
    2. If you have two looms, is it better to have both from the same manufacturer or not?

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      crosstitchlinda That is a perfect solution! I'm going to remember that one. Another example of how you look at things. Instead of "you should swatch because.....", I can think "Oh I'll make something useful and see what it looks like" and still get the benefits of swatching.

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      crosstitchlinda Well, I kind of do that, lol. Just at the end of the warp when I have a little extra to play with. I'll throw in different colors, maybe even change the tie up and experiment. I can always use a little towel somewhere in the house.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I'm doing with early projects and anything I'm not happy with, there's always something to be wiped up, dusted or dried.

pinesprairie I see you gathering up little tips here and there. Can't wait for you to take the plunge! 😉

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie - I heard that. 🤪🤪

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Busted!!😂

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment