Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

What Are You Weaving Today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are You Weaving Today?

So what weaverly things are you doing today? Let's post photos of our WIPs (that's Weaving In Progress).

I'm getting a little further with the baby blanket marathon. I admit I've been taking time away from weaving to spin in the Spin de Fleece. Here are some photos of the blankies. All of them are made from Plymouth Encore. It's machine-washable and dryable. It weaves and wet-finishes beautifully. The crocheted edging is from one of the 1930's Weave-it books.

.First Blanket - for my daugher's friend.
    Here's the first blanket. It was for my daughter's friend's baby. This is the first time I've tried the tonal yellow.

Cousin's blanket

This is the second blankie. I used the same rainbow variegated Encore, but used a solid pink for the alternate blocks. At first I thought this was too pink, but I like how it turned out.

Blankie for my friend's son.

I'm almost finished with the third one. This one may be my favorite! I like the variegated blues and purples. I have one more row of squares to weave, sew the strips together, crochet the border and wet-finish. Only two more to go after that!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DebbiRYarn; 07-12-2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Bettymo
      Bettymo commented
      Editing a comment
      Soo cute. Nice portable weaving.

And here's what's on the big girls. Again, nothing has been done on them since the Spin de Fleece started. One good thing, I'm going to have some great yarn to weave at the end of the Spin!

Anyway, the beautiful Eternity Knot patterned fabric is on Lady Ada, my 24-shaft AVL. This was designed by Tien Chiu. For a 24-shaft draft, it wasn't all that hard to thread.
    Eternity Knot Kimono Fabric

Eternity Knot Close Up
    Here is a close-up of the fabric

Rag Rug weaving on the Glimakra
    And here is the rag rug still sitting on my Glimakra! I gotta go weave!!

Edit: It's SPIN de Fleece!! (I was really tired last night.)
    Last edited by DebbiRYarn; 07-13-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• ILVLUCY
      ILVLUCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I love it!

Ooh, that eternity knot piece is incredible!

Comment

Doesn’t look like much yet, but my next project will be summer/winter towels of 8/2 Valley Yarns Cottolin.

Comment

• DebbiRYarn
        DebbiRYarn commented
        Editing a comment
        Summer/Winter. I have a design that I really, REALLY need to get on the loom in Summer/Winter. Well, it really isn't a design. A friend sent me a photo of a coverlet at Fort Mackinaw (I think) and I reverse-engineered it from the photo. But however I got there, I NEED to get it on the loom!

I definitely want to see that!

Comment

• DebbiRYarn
        DebbiRYarn commented
        Editing a comment
        So many drafts, so little time!

• yarnforall
        yarnforall commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with that!

Here's what's on my little Louet Erica loom.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2597.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1838

Comment

I'm working on baby blankets and using a draft from Tom Knisley's "Handwoven Baby Blankets" book. The warp and tabby is 8/2 variegated cotton, and the pattern weft is 3/2 cotton. It's slow going, but I'm on the 3rd and final one now. Just in time!

Comment

• DebbiRYarn
          DebbiRYarn commented
          Editing a comment
          How did I miss that book? They’re lovely!

• Kathy7661
          Kathy7661 commented
          Editing a comment
          Your baby blankets look great! I have this book too and made my 2nd grandson the Springtime blanket (pg 26) a year ago. I've never done a summer and winter weave. Maybe I'll try this one!

• Grammaresa
          Grammaresa commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a pretty easy weave, but a bit slow since it's two shuttles, and I hate winding the ski shuttle with the 3/2.

Here I am at the Brookings SD Summer Arts Festival (Historical Section). I weave towels mostly out of 100% cotton. I warped this specifically for this event on my small loom. Fifteen feet of warp and I am hoping to mostly finish by the end of the day.

Comment

• Bettymo
          Bettymo commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yes I see it's 2 shafts. Smart to keep it simple while demoing. I think people like to own what the actually see the maker making. Part of the provenance I guess.

• CFPinkava
          CFPinkava commented
          Editing a comment
          My daughter says I have to create a whole new reply if I want to take a pic of my notes. See below.

• DebbiRYarn
          DebbiRYarn commented
          Editing a comment
          I creatively hide my water bottles. I'd rather commit a small anachronism than get dehydrated at a demonstration.

I've made two hideous mistakes with complexity at demonstrations and I'll never make them again. One was weaving a Gothic Cross twill in silk for a priest's stole. Now, you'd think good ol' 4-shaft weaving would be simple. No. Not even. I will never do that again. The second was weaving a 7-color tartan. Constant shuttle changes. My daughter was doing the weaving and favored me with some non-period-appropriate words before it was over. It was a tartan sash for her grandmother, though, so she wasn't too put out with me. And my mother cherished every boo-boo my daughter and I made in it.

Working on some handspun throw rugs.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_811.jpg Views:	3 Size:	198.5 KB ID:	3987
        Last edited by Bettymo; 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_814.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	3992 Beginnings
          Last edited by Bettymo; 07-15-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• yarnforall
            yarnforall commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooohhhh!!! Those are going to be amazing. 🎉

• Kathy7661
            Kathy7661 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with yarnforall! Look forward to watching your progress!

yarnforall I hope so. Thank you!

Comment

Those baby blankets are beautiful! I had that book and sold it, darn it!!

Comment

• Bettymo
              Bettymo commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd like to get it. Not sure if my loom is wide enough for the projects in there tho. I have a 36"

My messy draft. 264 total ends on a 15 epi reed. I changed color plans a few times.
            Last edited by CFPinkava; 07-15-2019, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Bettymo
              Bettymo commented
              Editing a comment
              Awwe thanks so much for sharing!

I’m working on a Baltic weave band-it’s my first inkle project!

Comment

• yarnforall
              yarnforall commented
              Editing a comment
              What a pretty pattern!! Baltic patterns are fun, aren’t they?

• Kathy7661
              Kathy7661 commented
              Editing a comment
              So pretty!!

• Bettymo
              Bettymo commented
              Editing a comment
              So pretty!
          Working...
          X