LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

What Are You Weaving Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love it! I’m hoping to graduate to a floor loom in the future. 😀

Comment

• yarnforall
      yarnforall commented
      Editing a comment
      So, it does get addictive!

• DebbiRYarn
      DebbiRYarn commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yes! There's a thread on R about OLAD - Obsessive Loom Acquisition Disorder.

Bettymo "I'd like to get it. Not sure if my loom is wide enough for the projects in there tho. I have a 36"

I quickly went through the book and there are about 27 patterns 35" or less (width in reed) and about 6 patterns over 35" (width in reed). I have a 36" loom too and I feel I could make a lot of these blankets, maybe even some over 35" if I tweeked them a little. Hope this helps!

Comment

• Grammaresa
      Grammaresa commented
      Editing a comment
      I only rarely make anything over 35". My Oxaback is 53" and if I use the full width, throwing the shuttle gets more difficult and I have really long arms. My David is 35" and it's the perfect width for a wide variety of projects.

• Bettymo
      Bettymo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Yes it helps.

Grammaresa I agree. I have a David too and really don't need anything wider.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	7441

Comment

• yarnforall
        yarnforall commented
        Editing a comment
        That is looking beautiful!! Also looks interesting how the warp threads are done. It looks like you are skipping every 3rd dent? How ever you are doing it, it looks marvelous!

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it!! I know you're using your handspun for the weft, what about the warp?

Thanks you so much. I'm using 8/4 cotton rug warp for the weft 10 ends per inch. I sley two threads in one dent on each end. It's a straight draw threading 4,3,2,1 and tie up is 1&2, 2&3, 3&4, 1&4. I lift shafts 1&2 then 3&4 for a warp faced fabric. Not a super dense rug. More like a throw rug. This is about the 8th or 9th one I've woven. Crazy colors from 4 oz braids that I would probably never have knit with. All the yarns are different weights. It's fun with all the colors.

Comment

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the details.

Dress fabric off the loom. Used stash yarn and black fingering weight wool. Wove at 12 dpi for 123 inches. Fabric is in the dryer. One step closer to a dress of my own making! Fabric was 20 inches wide before washing. Will see what I got when it's out of the dryer.

Comment

• DebbiRYarn
        DebbiRYarn commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations!

I've never seen the Get Weaving patterns. That needs to change very soon! The kimono pattern I'm planning to use is from a book. I'll just cut rectangles,which is what a kimono is anyway.

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        That fabric will make an awesome dress. Great job

• Floppy2
        Floppy2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have used the Get Weaving pattern pictured in this post. This will be the second time I have used it. I used it the first time to make a shirt version of this dress. Now I will make the whole dress. Plan to modify the neckline as I did not like it much when I made the shirt. Modifying the neckline should not be too hard. Also want to make the dress a little longer than in the photo. Thankfully, I have more than enough fabric to lengthen the dress.

Very nice! I think she will be thrilled.

Comment

oldeworldfibres Great set of towels and a lovely gift!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190728_090659_656.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	12449
          Yes, my selvedges are atrocious

I've got 10 yards of 8/2 natural unmercerized cotton on here as the test run of my new Toika Laila. My original plan was to do it all in overshot... after sitting on the loom for months, I decided that 10 yards of overshot wasn't going to happen and that I ought to use the warp for something else. I wove a yard or so of linen weft before realizing that I had some yarn sitting around which, due to its lack of structural integrity, I was never going to knit with. That's the purple stuff. Tabby at 20 epi should keep it together just fine.

Comment

• Bettymo
            Bettymo commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful shuttle.

Finishing up my first baby blanket. Finished weaving on 8 dent 15 inch cricket. Now need to wet finish and join the panels. Will hem stitch ends.

Comment

• yarnforall
            yarnforall commented
            Editing a comment
            Lovely colors! Please post pictures of the finished item. That’s going to be one lucky baby.

I still have two wool rugs on the loom and am going to do the last one as a rag rug. I bought some quilting strips that come in a bundle and cut them in half this morning. Washed them for shrinkage. Now I just need to stash dive for strips and old sheets, cut some more and get weaving. Hopefully later today.

Comment

I'm tying knots all day. My old lady hands feel it.
            Finished my rag rug
            8/4 carpet warp 1.5 inch strips from a quilting jelly roll
            and hand spun yarns

Comment

• Bettymo
              Bettymo commented
              Editing a comment
              Kathy7661 I just haven't found a good way to prewash them. If I don't do the whole rug in them...say mix them in with some other older strips I have from sheets....they can bleed and shrink differently. This last time I tied them in bundles at the top and bottom and middle of strip and washed. Then I had to iron so it seems there are always lots of steps.

• Kathy7661
              Kathy7661 commented
              Editing a comment
              Bettymo Oh, I forgot about the prewashing issue with jelly rolls. Years ago when I quilted, I remember reading most people didn't prewash the strips other than testing those they thought would bleed. They would just wash the whole quilt when finished. They also wouldn't prewash any other fabrics used in the quilt either hoping most of the fabrics would shrink evenly. Some people who just had to prewash would wash them by hand with a little detergent and hang to dry.
              I made a rag rug using yardage that I prewashed then cut into strips and I felt that was a lot of prep work.

• Bettymo
              Bettymo commented
              Editing a comment
              Kathy7661. Always prep work it seems. I made a little rag rug for my sister and one for myself with all kinds of fabrics. Didn't know the history of some of them. I got some different shrinkage rates so they are both a little rumpled looking but not bad. Didn't really ruin the rugs but this time I'm glad I remembered. Actually I did wash these strips by hand then tied them and threw them in the dryer. I haven't washed the rug yet so I have yet to see what happens. I just threw it on the bathroom floor in front of the sink. I'll wash it when it gets dirty. There are a few "unknowns" in it.

Yay! Baby Blanket Number 4 is done!! I never thought I'd get it finished. It languished on the pin loom this summer. I'd work on it a bit at a time, but other things got in the way (the Spindolyn and Katie). I was up against a deadline, though, so I had to get it done. Our barista accepted a job elsewhere and will be leaving Starbucks in a few weeks. She thinks she will work full-time at her new job, part time at Starbucks and care for a new baby. I'd tell her about New Baby Exhaustion, but she wouldn't believe me.

So here it is. It didn't start out as my favorite blanket, but I got to where I really liked it as I went along.

Baby Blanket 4 Finished

Comment

• Carlota
              Carlota commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh that's great to know - Plymouth Encore is practical to care for and substantial too. Nice colors!

• yarnforall
              yarnforall commented
              Editing a comment
              That is just beautiful!! Glad to hear you are still liking your Spindolyn too!

• Bettymo
              Bettymo commented
              Editing a comment
              Adorable! A good buddy loves her Spindolyns..yes plural. She grows cotton and spins it all on her spindolyns.

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
          X