LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Inkle, Card, Band and Backstrap Weaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_153445.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	40054 Finally got to do a little band weaving...my kitty was napping!
    Last edited by Kathy7661; 01-19-2020, 06:07 PM. Reason: edited to fix photo

Comment

Kathy7661 what type of loom are you using? Band, Inkle? I'm thinking of trying band weaving on my rigid heddle.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. - Bernard Baruch

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      maryemilee I use my Louet Erica to weave my inkle bands. A rigid heddle loom will definitely work well for inkle bands too. I hope you try soon, I'd love to see what you make!

Thanks Kathy7661. I haven't pulled out my rigid heddle for years. I would like to use it for something.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. - Bernard Baruch

Comment

OK, after many internal conversations with myself about why I did not need to buy an Inkle Loom, I just ordered a Schacht Inkle loom. Rationalization is a powerful drug! I NEEEEED it to make loops for towels, leashes for my kid's dog, interesting design elements for my woven work...... I just pictured my self sitting on the screen porch weaving a beautiful band to use for something.

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        I look forward to seeing what you make!

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Woohoo! Look forward to seeing your projects!

CharKathy7661 you are both enablers! I am warping for a set of towels now. Loops will not be far behind. If you get a minute you should look at these towels. I came across them by accident and knew I had to make them. Will probably send them to my daughter.

​​​​​​​https://schachtspindle.com/weaving-t...ndship-towels/

Comment

• maryemilee
        maryemilee commented
        Editing a comment
        They are almost 21 inches in width on the loom. I looked at making them narrower, but that would cut off one of the bands and I like the balance of having the same pattern at both edges. That's why they are so wide. I could have make the bands narrower, but I thought that would take away from the effect. I may make them shorter, they are about 40 inches on the loom as written in the pattern without hems. That is really long. I'll see how it goes as I'm weaving.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Char With your mathematical mind it will come to you easily, I'm sure, in no time at all.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        maryemilee That makes perfect sense regarding the bands in the pattern. I actually enjoy larger towels.The width would be fine for me but I would definitely shorten them...40" is quite long.

Char a game changer for me was getting weaving software and inputting the pattern (which is the threading, tie up and treadling; you'll see it when you open the software and have a draft in front of you) and then being able to see the draw down, or how the pattern looks. I can zoom in and out and then I can tell which part of the threading gives me which part of the pattern. You can download PixieLoom on your laptop for free (you can't save or print but you can see all the design elements). I bought iWeaveit for my iPad. For the iPad it is very inexpensive and I can print the draft so if I make changes I have the draft. It is more expensive for laptop but I actually like having it on my iPad. I'm an engineer and at one point in my career worked for Apple and Intel so I love having the software to help me see what I am doing. I think that's why I love weaving. It is so incredible to do something so manual and have such a remarkable result. Anyway, just my two cents to help you on your journey.

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh thank you! I will look into that. :-). I love playing with crafty aps.

Name:	friendshiptowel.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	51134
      Kathy7661 you will love weaving these. Really easy to warp and fast to weave. I'm doing them on my little 4H Artisat. And I love them. These are cottolin, but I have a bunch of 8/2 unmerc cotton I can use. I can't wait to get my inkle loom, I am going to put loops on these. I heard today the loom had to be ordered from Schacht and it may take a while.

Comment

• maryemilee
        maryemilee commented
        Editing a comment
        Char of course you do. Everybody needs ALL the looms......eventually. But you'll find that out for yourself. I'm an old manufacturing engineer and I love my equipment. Not an artistic bone in my body, but oh the process of weaving is so wonderful. It soothes my soul for sure.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        maryemilee - my DH is a manufacturing engineer as well. I am trying to convince him he needs to try weaving. Because, you know, if we have two weavers in the house, we need double the looms, right???

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Char I love how you think.

Name:	towels2.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	51327Click image for larger version

Name:	towels1.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	51328

For those who are thinking about these towels, I have an observation that may interest you. The first towel (finished) had warp and weft in cottolin. The weft is pink Bockens cottolin. The second towel (in progress) I am using Brassard 8/2 unmercerized cotton in color denim (one of my favs). I found the cottolin weft seemed to have a lot of twist and left these little 'balls' on the selvedge. I am not having that problem with the 8/2 cotton. Very good selvedge. The balling on the cottolin weft came and went but it drove me crazy. Now granted, they are very small and after I wash the towel may not be noticeable (except to me of course).

Just another aside...I started the 2nd towel in pink cottolin and ended up unweaving about 4 inches. I forgot to weave the white hem. Ugh. Not sure what I was thinking. Basically I wasn't thinking. That's when I decided to change to the 8/2 cotton in denim. Now I remember why I gave my 4H Artisat a rest. It moves like crazy, it is so light, I can just about pick it up. My 8H loom weighs about 500 lbs and does not move an inch.

Comment

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for posting this. I've never used cottolin. When I make these I'll be using Brassard 8/2 cotton, my go to yarn for towels.

So, I wanted to do a little review from my experience as a new Inkle Loom weaver. I'll do a brief backstory, I'm not proud of it, but isn't that part of recovery?? So I ordered a Schacht Inkle Loom after my usual over analyzing before I buy anything. I wanted one I could use to do traditional inkle weaving and card weaving. After waiting for two weeks I called and was told that I would not get it until end of May or later due to the factory shutdown in Colorado in response to quarantine. Now I know I don't neeeed it, but by now I really wanted it. So, I decided to buy an Ashford Inklette while I waited for the bigger Schacht. (Reasonable, right, smaller so different, she rationalized). It got to me in 3 days. And I read some stuff and put on my first warp. This is a very small loom, I mean really small. And hard to warp because of the tight spaces between the pegs. And it is sooooo light, like really light so that I couldn't put it on a table and have it stay. Quite a change from my 500 lb floor loom! But after it was warped, it was great. I sat up in bed and did my first (not very good) band. I think I'll clamp it to a table next warp. I did order a very small band shuttle, smaller than the one that came with the loom with a more beveled edge. I think I'll get used to the small-ness of it eventually and it will work great for color sampling and small bands like the type for towel loops. I wish I didn't love equipment so much. BTW, Daryl Lancaster's Weavolution video pre-recorded class is excellent for a new Inkle weaver. Love her.

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        I spied an inkle loom not far from here -
        Tempting!!!

• maryemilee
        maryemilee commented
        Editing a comment
        @Char...do it!! Inexpensive to buy and does not use a lot of yarn compared to a bigger loom. I am actually watching Daryl's video now and weaving along with it out on the screen porch. It is super fun.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        We need pictures! 😊

Name:	inkleband1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	52670Click image for larger version

Name:	inklette.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	52671

OK, my not so great first attempt. My selvedges started getting better. Here's the thing. If you are a weaver you are loathe to tug on the yarn to improve the selvedge With an Inkle you are supposed to do it. So once I got over my aversion to tugging it went better. Here are some cones for scale with a pic of the Inklette. Isn't it cute. Attempting a second warp. Going a little better but I feel like I have giant hands with this little thing. It is pretty fun to carry it around.

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, who doesn't love new toys? I mean tools, I meant to say tools.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        🤣😂🤣😂

Yes - my tool area (IE the whole house) is full of them. Lol

• maryemilee
        maryemilee commented
        Editing a comment
        You're my kind of enablers....er people.

Name:	band2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	52754
      Char you need to get in on this. This is only my second attempt. So easy to learn and so pretty!! Really fun, especially after working on a big loom, much less time to get it going. I'm ready to try a leash for my daughter's dog. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to do a name on it.

Comment

Here are some resources from the Daryl Lancaster video on Inkle Weaving. I thought I would pass these along. Please excuse that I am not putting them in APA format :-).

Evelyn Neher: Inkle, 1974
      Mary Meigs Atwater, Byways in Handweaving, 1971
      Helene Bress, Inkle Weaving, 1975
      Robyn Spady, Handwoven Decorative Trim, 2009 www.spadystudios.com
      Ann Dixon, The Weaver's Inkle Pattern Directory, 2012 (I bought this, incredible resource, 400 patterns, all levels)
      Mary M Atwater, How to Weave on an Inkle Loom, Shuttle-Craft Guild, 1941

Disclaimer: Most of the older books are expensive to buy. I did get the Helene Bress book and it wasn't too bad ($40). This is one that is referenced over and over in the videos and literature. Haven't received it yet, I'll let you know. Ann Dixon book is a def must have if you really get into it. I do love book and have a LOT of them. I do better reading how to do than listening to someone talk about it.

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the references!!!

Name:	hangingloop.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	52964
      The whole reason I rationalized I needed the Inkle Loom, loops for towels. I had to make this for my Friendship towel to keep myself honest. Ideally it should have been added before the hem, but the towel was already hemmed.

I only have the pink towel, I gave the blue one to the woman who sold me the warping mill. Kind of felt like I needed to thank her for such a great deal.

Watching a video for doing names on bands.

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe when you are in the right mood the wheel spinning notion will grab hold again. Meanwhile, there are already great yarns for weaving waiting to be tried, right? My weaving is what I call "armchair," as I have been away from the 4-shaft off and on so much that the projects and supplies haven't coalesced yet but I'm thrilled to have a small lineup of patterns seeking their mates in yarns either in my stash or needing to be ordered. So my bread bag will have to wait - will be fun to see yours develop. I did find this on sale (not the same weight as that called for in the pattern) and was tempted to order some: https://lunaticfringeyarns.com/product/tow-linen/

• maryemilee
        maryemilee commented
        Editing a comment
        Carlota, I don't know if you are a Handwoven full access subscriber, but there is a Tom Knisley video all about linen. He shows how to take it from the plant, process it, spin it and how to warp the loom and weave with linen (all his tricks and tips). It is a fascinating video and really helpful. I decided to make the bread bag completely out of linen per the recommendations in the article. I had no idea how stiff linen can be. Tom's video will be so helpful.

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been wanting to order a full access subscription. Maybe you gave me another item of justification Thanks for the idea! There are so many videos and workshops in their lineup that make my heart leap - and I have gotten a notion that I can practice my flax spinning - there is a Nova Scotian Tea Towel project in the Flax issue of PLY magazine that is just wonderful - inspiring in the same way as the bread bag. I should probably start with the bread bag of ready-made yarns first, though.

My Schacht Inkle loom FINALLY came. Schacht was closed down for a few months due to COVID shutdowns and they have just started shipping again. Anyway, I wanted to give a visual comparison of the tiny baby Ashford Inklette and the BIG Schacht Inkle. You know I have said the Inklette is hard for me to warp, it is hard to wind on with the pegs so close together, spaces are very tight. Well, I won't have a problem with the Schacht. So for those who are thinking about an Inkle, here is one more piece of information. The Inklette weighs about 1 lb (I think 1 lb 2 oz), the Schacht weight 6 lbs, which thrills me no end. Sorry about the bright blue cutting mat.

Name:	inklecomp.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	57488

Comment

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations on your new loom! I look forward to seeing your projects!

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm looking forward to seeing the bands for the bread bags. Have fun getting to know your new loom.

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Laverne Waddington's work is stunning and watched one of her videos a long time ago - it was well done. So much fun stuff my head explodes!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X